The Miami Dolphins Are A 10 Win Team And Here Is Why | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins Are A 10 Win Team And Here Is Why

Davis is a liability? How do you figure he graded out very well and the tape supports that

For all of you who think highly of Davis, unless he loses 20-30 LBs, he’s the wrong fit for Gase’s system. As a run blocker, big heavy guards can not perform at a high level consistently on outside zone blocking runs. Fine on interior zone blocking runs as his job is to push the line of scrimmage forward. But on outside runs, he’s going to have trouble moving laterally fast enough to maintain gap control, hold his blocks or push defenders down field. They’ll be adding another guard this offseason.

If you can figure out a fair way to factor in RT then I’ll take that bet. I think we both agree RT will out produce Cutler/Moore.

Of course RT will outplay Cutler/Moore.

BUT if he outplays Culter/Moore without Landry then your point is still disproven. Because that will mean Landry isn't largely missed. The receiving corps will be okay in 2018, in other words.

Will RT have something to do with that? Sure. Can't be denied. After all, RT made guys like Hartline and Bess stars, with his uncanny ability to throw balls to zero separation windows and throw them open with timing, back shoulder, etc.

I'm just saying let it play out, and you'll probably see that those Landry yards are well provided for, with an offense more opened and successful.

LD

Yet Kenyan Drake was able to average 4.8 yards/carry behind basically the same line with the same QB behind center. Kenyan Drake is a better RB.

JA is a rare back that has unusual power and speed. But like the bull he is on the field, he's bull headed in the locker room too -- 100% sure the right way to win games was to just build around him and let him run. For those who would say that's a leadership/coaching problem, they are right. JA was the coach and it wasn't his job to tell anyone how to plan or direct the team. For all of his talent, he's was nowhere good enough to be the face of the team and lead us to the promised land. I, personally, can't RB room with him and Gore. He's too damned pigheaded and ****sure of himself to think an old vet has anything to show him.

For a more complete team like Phili, he's a much better fit. Let's see how he does when he's the main back -- if he's willing to do what he's told or if he gets frustrated and starts to play "I'll just smash my way to yards" (A.K.A hero ball) instead of patiently following the game plan in order to set the team up for success later in the game.

Drake, unlike JA, knows he has a lot to prove and he started proving it in locker and film rooms, and then on the field. He's a much better fit for our team at this point in time. Let's hope that he can play as well this year and hold up for a full season.

For me, I'm hoping we have our coach for the next decade, and for that to pan out, we need players like Drake -- physically talented, smart, AND willing to play the way the coach has planned for him and the team.

The piece I disagree with, about what Ray says, is that our win last year is somehow proof of us ascending into a Dynasty, and they down from one. Maybe I'm wrong, it just seems like reading way too much into one result.

We cannot become a dynasty until we start winning things, like at least our division. I do think a time is coming where age catches up to Brady and Belichick and we have an opening. I'd love to see us become a dynasty again … but not sure when that window is going to open.

BUT if he outplays Culter/Moore without Landry then your point is still disproven. Because that will mean Landry isn't largely missed. The receiving corps will be okay in 2018, in other words.

Will RT have something to do with that? Sure. Can't be denied. After all, RT made guys like Hartline and Bess stars, with his uncanny ability to throw balls to zero separation windows and throw them open with timing, back shoulder, etc.

I'm just saying let it play out, and you'll probably see that those Landry yards are well provided for, with an offense more opened and successful.

LD

Brian Hartline and Bess were stars? Using that word pretty liberally.

LD

I get that you’re saying Amendola/Wilson will fill in and the offense will run just as well. But it doesn’t mean Landry won’t be missed. RTs impact can be heightened by Landry or worsened by Amendola/Wilson. Not sure how to measure the difference in offensive production with different variables. Will either have as good yac? Because Landry was one of the top WRs in that statistic. Will either score 9 TDs? As many catches, first downs or combined yards? I’d be willing to bet those two players combined don’t replace Landry’s 2017 stats.

Parker, Stills and Drake will be RTs 3 most productive targets. I realize the expectation is that combined, all their weapons will cover what Landry et al did last year. However, while you say they’re more well rounded, I say they’re more diluted.

Last edited:
you keep missing the point. Im not trying to argue who was better between Ajayi and Drake. They are both great backs and we could have kept them both and have an amazing backfield for the next 5 years.

Actually, I think you are missing the point. You have been seduced by his physical talent and value it more than team fit and following the game plan.

JA is a physically talented back. But great, not a chance. Great backs are team players. Great backs produce every year (at least when their not injured). He had one break out season where everything lined up for him -- and he made it work and the team was the better for it. But where the hell was this super star you keep telling us about in 2017 when we needed him even more than in 2016?

Actually, I think you are missing the point. You have been seduced by his physical talent and value it more than team fit and following the game plan.

JA is a physically talented back. But great, not a chance. Great backs are team players. Great backs produce every year (at least when their not injured). He had one break out season where everything lined up for him -- and he made it work and the team was the better for it. But where the hell was this super star you keep telling us about in 2017 when we needed him even more than in 2016?

In 2016 they ran the running game through JA and along his strengths. In 2017, Gase tried to run JA through his own system and along others strengths. Which is what I assume is part of your point. So of course his “super star” level of play didn’t show up in the box scores in 2017. Drake fits Gase’s system much more. On a side note, I’m not sure why Gase thinks Jesse Davis AKA, the behemoth, is good for his outside zone run blocking system but I’m pretty sure it’s the best he has at the moment. Anyway, Gase is a year away from having enough of “his” guys to really flourish. Meanwhile, JA’s “poor attitude” in MIA will continue to look like a winning attitude in Philly. I’ve been around a few of these personality traits. When we’re winning, they’re very easy to work with and a huge part of it all. When we’re losing, they can be a PITA.

Yeah... but if you go back to my original post in regards to the actual subject, my comment makes a lot more sense. We're all rooting for the same team here, but if you haven't noticed an insane level of unfounded optimism for a perennially mediocre team then I really don't know what to tell you.

That’s the thing, really. If there’s that much of a crazy amount of optimism this year, maybe look at why. Maybe it isn’t all that unfounded. Sure, there are a lot of variables. And sure, it’s July. And yes, the loss of Suh worries the heck out of me. But (and I’ve been saying this over and over, like a mantra), the Fins weren’t just the unluckiest team in the league last year; they were one of the unluckiest teams I’ve ever seen. And I fully believe in the “make your own luck” thinking, but that doesn’t account for hurricanes. If just HALF of the things that went wrong last year DON’T this year? This will likely be a much brighter year. Add to that a healthy Tannehill, a likely better LB corps, a likely better D backfield, a likely better O-line, better and healthier DEs, no crazy road trip, likely rookie starting QBs in New York and Buffalo, and what looks like a fairly easy first half schedule? There’s a legit reason to think this team can easily do better than the national media give credit for. Second worst team in the league my ass.

It’s easy to just say, “same old Dolphins fans, getting their hopes up every offseason.” But if you don’t look at what’s going on here and say “okay, maybe there’s some justification for this,” then I really don’t know what to tell you.

That’s the thing, really. If there’s that much of a crazy amount of optimism this year, maybe look at why. Maybe it isn’t all that unfounded. Sure, there are a lot of variables. And sure, it’s July. And yes, the loss of .

Ok stop... every year there is a crazy amount of optimism, why? You should have led with this and just stopped there...Because the fanatics have a crazy amount of optimism. They’re not always wrong, but they’re not right either; just lucky. With some wisdom, experience, open mindedness and foresight, you too can be a normal fan. It’s easy to get lost in the hype and optimism of local media, coaches and fans. Of course Gase is in praise, hope and positivity mode. Then fans justify it with all of the positives and take it to the playoffs; just like this article did.

Last edited:

stuck behind a **** offensive line in a 1 dimensional offense with Jay Cutler. He did well in Philly. Yes, Drake played well after Jay left, but only for six games and his career high in rushing yards is 120. Still a lot to prove before we can easily say Jay won't be missed.

stuck behind a **** offensive line in a 1 dimensional offense with Jay Cutler. He did well in Philly. Yes, Drake played well after Jay left, but only for six games and his career high in rushing yards is 120. Still a lot to prove before we can easily say Jay won't be missed.

Either he's the great back you keep telling us we should have kept which means that bad line and worse QB shouldn't have held him back and much as it did or he isn't/wasn't that great back and was replaceable.

You seem to want it both ways

In 2016 they ran the running game through JA and along his strengths. In 2017, Gase tried to run JA through his own system and along others strengths. Which is what I assume is part of your point. So of course his “super star” level of play didn’t show up in the box scores in 2017. Drake fits Gase’s system much more. On a side note, I’m not sure why Gase thinks Jesse Davis AKA, the behemoth, is good for his outside zone run blocking system but I’m pretty sure it’s the best he has at the moment. Anyway, Gase is a year away from having enough of “his” guys to really flourish. Meanwhile, JA’s “poor attitude” in MIA will continue to look like a winning attitude in Philly. I’ve been around a few of these personality traits. When we’re winning, they’re very easy to work with and a huge part of it all. When we’re losing, they can be a PITA.
He did well in space last year, not sure why you think he isn't. Also, he is tall but at 325 he isn't even the heaviest guard and within 5lbs of Sitton and Larsen

We cannot become a dynasty until we start winning things, like at least our division. I do think a time is coming where age catches up to Brady and Belichick and we have an opening. I'd love to see us become a dynasty again … but not sure when that window is going to open.
Yep, exactly - that's part of why I think that saying the NE game last year was the turning point is a bit ... ambitious. Hopefully @Ray R will be proven right though, I'm on record as loving his optimism!! He reminds me of me a couple of years ago, when I was an earnest Dolphins fan, before I became a weather beaten Dolphins fan.

It's clearly a fact that age will catch up with B&B alright. I think naturally it'll be sooner for Brady, what with the fact his job is a physical job. Though maybe Belichick would decide to go at the same time, keep the legacy in tact - who knows?

My view of dynasty's is that they don't occur over night; there is no window to get through; only a grinding ascendancy to become "king of the hill" with an equally grinding maintenance required to stay "king of the hill".

You can become "king of the hill" with a group of great players, but as their performance wans, the position of "king of the hill" slips away. You can become "king of the hill" with a group of good players and a few great players if you continually upgrade and maintain a group of good players and the great players you can stay "king of the hill" for a long time. Eventually a team will come along that will have your number due to more inventive play calling and/or more "across the board" play capability.

I'm sure you can see the part of that description that represent the Patriots. I think a lot of people miss seeing the Dolphins as the team with "more inventive play calling and/or more "across the board" play capability". This is where our beating the patriots last year comes in. It is a one game microcosm of what I see as the direction these two teams are going in, with regard to each other.

Dynasty's get built and are developed over time. If I wasn't clear before I'll try to be clear now. We, the fans, are in a position to see a dynasty develop. It's easy to identify a dynasty after it has developed, but we are in a position to observe the actual ascendancy of a Dolphins dynasty.

We have all the pieces in place. A good owner, a functional and well coordinated front office; at least over the last 3 years since Gase arrived, and a head coach with a comprehensive plan for winning and who never quits. It was no surprise that something like six other teams wanted him the year he came to Miami. He has brought in effective coaching talent over the last three years by keeping the good coaching that was already here and getting both new and experienced coaches to come here.

As for players; we are beginning to see the cumulative results of some consistently good drafting the last 3 years in all rounds and with undrafted free agents. We have used the free agent market to our advantage for stop gap improvements. We showed an unexpected level of performance as a team and in the front office in Gases first year as our head coach. Problems with some of our better players were identified and addressed with resulting player improvement. Last year we emerged from a hellish series of uncontrollable disasters with some of our younger players performing well and problematic players exposed and eventually released. Last year was the year that "tempered" our team.

I believe this season will be a breakout year for the team. Even if it does not turn out to be the breakout year I envision, it looks like we will be a better across the board this year than the last two and demonstrate improvement.

We've improved as a team this year at all levels: on the field and coaching and in the performance of our management. I am happiest with the depth we now have on this team. Sometimes when we use a position by position analysis to determine what a teams performance will be, we miss the value of the player and position interactions that are necessary for plays to function. When we step back and look at the entire team and how it works as a unit we get a better picture of what we can expect to see on the field. I see a dynasty in the making, "one that is just getting over the hump" and is about to become a consistent contender for playoff berths and the Superbowl.

Back
Top Bottom