The Miami Dolphins worst football Coach Hall of Fame | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins worst football Coach Hall of Fame

The Miami Dolphins worst football Coach Hall of Fame. Select your winner!

• Dave Wannstedt

• Nick Saban

• Cam Cameron

• Tony Sparano

• Joe Philbin

• Adam Gase

Results are only viewable after voting.
Come on bro... we were ruined in the draft because of him. He inherited a team from JJ. Brought in the same guys he worked with Johnson. He also did the same to the bears. Are you serious? He destroyed two teams in a decade span.
You really thought the Bears were ever good enough to be ruined in the first place?

My choice is Philbin and Gase. For years I've said that Philbin was the worst thing to ever happen to the Dolphins, and then Ross hired Gase, a man who made Philbin look almost competent!

Philbin took over a tough team that could compete with top teams, but usually lost because they lacked talent at the offensive skill positions and had to settle for FGs instead of TDs. Instead of fixing that problem by adding talent, Philbin neutered a decent defense and built a "finesse" o-line that couldn't protect their QB even with several 1st round picks on it. He described his offense as being dynamic, explosive, and high-scoring. But, this short pass based offense with little to no running game was as dynamic as molasses; Philbin's teams seemed unprepared at the start of every game and usually couldn't score until nearly half-time, and by then they were behind several scores. This slow moving offense which seemed to always have the team trailing the opponent was coupled with a defense that was built to play with a lead... which they rarely ever had! Also, even when Miami wasn't very good, they usually beat the Jets and the Bills... until Philbin ruined the team. Under Philbin (and then Gase), Miami's o-lines were consistently pushed around and dominated by the d-lines of New York and Buffalo. Philbin took a team that was a few key players away from being a playoff team and ran it into the toilet. I think it was 2013 when Miami had two games left against the Bills and the Jets, and all they had to do was win one and they earn a Wild Card berth. Philbin's team went 0-2, scoring just 10 total points in those two games!

Gase, like Philbin, placed little emphasis on the running game, preferring to use RBs as receivers out of the backfield. And, instead of replacing Philbin's weak o-line, he kept it. The only thing Gase did well was to run some creative trick plays that usually worked. However, when it came to "regular" playcalling he was a complete idiot. He must have thought he was a genius, because he'd call plays with the least chance of success probably thinking that the opponent would never expect that! Gase's offense (like Philbin's offense) struggled to convert 3rd or 4th and short on the ground because his o-line was weak and couldn't block, and he loved calling those short passes. Here's a sampling of Gase's playcalling: On 3rd and 10 most teams would throw an 11 or 12 yard pass, but Gase's offense would have several receivers running 5-8 yard routes with a completion resulting in a 4th down punt. On 3rd and 20, Gase seemed to always call a run up the middle for 2 or 3 yards. On 3rd or 4th and 1, most teams can run it and get the 1st down... but not Gase. His favorite play of all in this situation was a throw to a RB or WR behind the line of scrimmage who was then immediately tackled for a loss because the o-line couldn't block anyone!
“He must have thought he was a genius, because he'd call plays with the least chance of success...”

That is hysterical, sadly true and depressingly accurate.

Cam Cameron without question. He nearly gave us the unique distinction of being a team
that had a winless season as well as a perfect season.

I can still see Joey Porter with his rally towel after avoiding 0-16......shudders.

I consider Gase a very bad HC, no doubt. But relative to the majority of the board, I'm probably higher on his Dolphin performance than most! I mean, he went almost .500 over 3 years, made the playoffs, with not exactly a talent laden roster (look at the Tannenbaum threads) and Tannehill injured for a decent while. He was 14-5 with Ajayi starting. Had the Phins top 3 each year in big plays of >30 yds.

Don't knock down a straw man - I hate Gase, and he was worse with the Jets. But there have been lots worse HC's.
I actually agree a lot of with that. 500 coach. Tons of injuries. Probably makes playoffs in 2017 with tannehill.

he just didn’t want to win like we won in 2016. He didn’t want to run the ball. I heard he changed blockimgbschemes and a lot of stuff that worked in 2016

I actually agree a lot of with that. 500 coach. Tons of injuries. Probably makes playoffs in 2017 with tannehill.

he just didn’t want to win like we won in 2016. He didn’t want to run the ball. I heard he changed blockimgbschemes and a lot of stuff that worked in 2016
Yes. His play design and offensive scheme abilities went from overrated (when he was hired) to underrated now. His team played pretty well in the clutch. But he added less than nothing to the defense. And had the highest AD factor ever (Arrogant Douchebag). He turned off players, coaches, writers, staff, fans, random people in Mongolia, etc... Seemed like he'd rather lose his way than win with Ajayi.

Cameron is the answer.
Gase and Philbin tied for 2nd worst.

Dolphin fans have every reason to dislike Saban but he was a really good coach. He won 15 games with Gus Ferotte, Joey Harrington, and a severely hobbled Dante Culpepper at QB. Those teams only had the talent to win 7 games in two years.

Yes. His play design and offensive scheme abilities went from overrated (when he was hired) to underrated now. His team played pretty well in the clutch. But he added less than nothing to the defense. And had the highest AD factor ever (Arrogant Douchebag). He turned off players, coaches, writers, staff, fans, random people in Mongolia, etc... Seemed like he'd rather lose his way than win with Ajayi.
argree

I vote for philbin

he allowed bully scandal
He allowed players and their wives to cause problems in the locker room. Miki grimes
He wasted tannehiills first 4 years. By the time gase got here there was pressure to replace tannehill
he got tannehill killed. His body broke down under gase

he never made playoffs, he never had above 8 wins. He allowed us to lose final two games to miss playoffs

Philbin made gase seem like a hall of fame coach.

I vote for philbin

he allowed bully scandal
He allowed players and their wives to cause problems in the locker room. Miki grimes
He wasted tannehiills first 4 years. By the time gase got here there was pressure to replace tannehill
he got tannehill killed. His body broke down under gase

he never made playoffs, he never had above 8 wins. He allowed us to lose final two games to miss playoffs

Philbin made gase seem like a hall of fame coach.
I agree, worst after Cam, and most harmful for his years as coach.

Despite that I liked Bill Lazor as OC (probably in a minority of one here), and the 2014 team before it was decimated by injuries. In Lazor's only full year as OC he had the highest offensive DVOA (7th in the league) in at least 20 years for the Phins. I think the midseason 2014 team beats any Dolphin team in the last decade - including 2016 and 2020.

Philbin had a binder and Power Point presentations.

McCoy didn't fare great w The Chargers but damn, I wish we had picked him instead, at least he was a football coach not a secretary.

Pretty sure you thought the rest of the team was garbage and Jay Fiedler was a sub 100 qb rating qb 🤣. Stay in topic he isnt part of this.

Flo commited to Tua. Tua sucks. It's not hard. Flo sucks as a result

Last edited by a moderator:
That team had talent but was always hampered by DW - on field decisions and talent assessment where he had final say (Overruled Spielman to take Eddie Moore over Anquan Bolden!!) I get the other coaches lost more frequently but no one wasted more / threw away more opportunity that Dave W.

Flo commited to Tua. Tua sucks. It's not hard. Flo sucks as a result
Flo ain't really committed to Tua..if he ain't playing good flo will pull him quick to win games..you have to give Tua benefits of doubt for next yr.. if u draft him that high...

Flo ain't really committed to Tua..if he ain't playing good flo will pull him quick to win games..you have to give Tua benefits of doubt for next yr.. if u draft him that high...
Trade tua, thats what the site tells me. We shoudl do that

Back
Top Bottom