The most important aspect of a franchise IS SCOUTING/DRAFT DEPARTMENT, ABOVE ALL!! Coaches DO NOT bring playoff success!! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The most important aspect of a franchise IS SCOUTING/DRAFT DEPARTMENT, ABOVE ALL!! Coaches DO NOT bring playoff success!!

So, wait? Does this mean that you are assuming the head coach has no say in the players that are ultimately acquired?

That is a bit simplistic and naive.

Until I hear from Brian Flores directly, stating that he was opposed to drafting Tua, it’s all rumor. And even if he said it today, it could be revisionist history. I really have a hard time believing that Marvin Allen, McKenzie, Grier, and the scouts all said “we need Tua” and Brian Flores sat back and said no. I find it more plausible that Flores, as a Belichick guy, would listen to Saban, another Belichick guy, touting Tua and buy into it.

I love how the Patriots are the barometer for any other teams success 🤦‍♂️. They won the division almost every year for 20 years!!!! That's unheard of, and will never happen again(unless it's the Patriots). It's not all scouting, good players want to got to teams that win....it makes it easier. Oh, yeah, and some of them will play for less money just to win. If you're trying to tell me coaching played no part in that 2+ decade dynasty, you are merely grasping at straws to explain our mediocrity. Yes, scouting has a good portion to do with it, but coaching plays a bigger role. It's not like we're drafting walk on seniors every year. We've missed on a lot of picks, but some of that can be attributed to poor development from coaching. The Patriots didn't draft the best QB in the draft, they developed him, and put him in a system he could succeed. That's the kind of coaching we need.

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Patriots/Bellichick - Brady leaves NE, Pats are stuck with Newton, and Bellichick misses the playoffs. Then he drafts a competent rookie QB and is now back in the playoffs as a Wild card, but will likely be eliminated quickly.

Seahawks/Pete Carroll - won a SB in 2014. What has he done since then? If he's such a great coach, why did the Seahawks only win 7 games this year? Why did he get elimianted in the 1st round of the playoffs last year? Why isn't he achieving more success? COACHES DONT BRING PLAYOFF SUCCESS. PLAYERS DO!!

Steelers/Mike Tomlin - He got the 1 super bowl in 2009. That's 13 years ago. Hasn't won anything since. This season, MIKE TOMLIN won THE SAME AMOUNT OF GAMES AS BRIAN FLORES... 9 games this year. NO DIFFERENCE IN THE AMOUNT OF GAMES WON, BETWEEN A SUPER BOWL "HOF" COACH IN MIKE TOMLIN, AND A BRIAN FLORES.

THE COACHES DO NOT WIN GAMES. ONLY PLAYERS DO. THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF A FRANCHISE IS THE SCOUTING/DRAFT DEPARTMENT. PERIOD. It is they who hit on draft picks, who make your team good, who hit on a QB, hit on a CB, hit on DE's, who pick Justin Herbet over Tua..... etc... and suddenly almost any random coach starts winning with great players.

The problem with the Miami Dolphins was NOT Brian Flores. He actually is a very good defensive mind, and we put up a winning season. He was actually AGAINST picking Tua!

We just need MORE talent on the field.

COACHES DO NOT MAGICALLY BRING PLAYOFF SUCCESS. NO COACHING CHANGE WILL FIX ANYTHING. Brian Flores was fine.

What we need is a COMPLETE BOWEL MOVEMENT OF THE SCOUTING/DRAFT DEPARTMENT. I don't care how long they been there. Bring in young, 30 yr old ex college players or something.
Take a Xanax

So you're saying there's no difference between Joe Philbin and Don Shula?

What did Shula do in the playoffs from 1975 to 1995?

From 1975 to 1995, in that 20 year span, Don Shula missed the playoffs ten (10) times. He was 50/50 on reaching the playoffs or not. And that was with a HOF QB from 1983-1995.

But he won 2 super bowls in the 1970s, right? Yeah, because our roster had the talent required to do that.

Why didn't the Dolphins win any SB's after those 70s teams? Because our roster was not good enough. After drafting Dan Marino, we had the worst draft stretch from 1985-1992 in the NFL.

Scouts caused the 7 game win streak and the 7 game losing streak?
1000%

Scouting/Draft department are the ULTIMATE ROOT cause of a team's success or failure.

NOT THE COACH (don't bring up crazy exemptions). I'm talking on average.

It's the players who determine if a coach wins or not.

Coaches can make a huge difference. In teaching techniques, time management ECT. Flo was horrible at time management. To say they don't make a difference is beyond dumb

Sure, but they won't bring you more playoff success. Having a loaded roster full of talent does that.

MIKE TOMLIN won THE SAME AMOUNT OF GAMES AS BRIAN FLORES... 9 games this year. NO DIFFERENCE IN THE AMOUNT OF GAMES WON, BETWEEN A SUPER BOWL "HOF" COACH IN MIKE TOMLIN, AND A BRIAN FLORES.

oh boy…. this will not age well. you can hire the best talent at a company but if theirs no vision then it will fail. the leadership a head coach brings is needed. and they make game day decisions that will either lead a team to victory or a loss. it’s a team sport. everyone has their part to play.
Yes but playing musical chairs with the coaches WILL NOT FIX IT.

Do you think Bruce Arians is an amazing coach or something? Yet they won a Super Bowl last season.

Why?

Because their draft/scout department filled their roster with so much talent, it was just waiting for Tom Brady to show up as QB and take them to the promised land.

They won because of their drafting of Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, etc.

Godwin was selected by the Buccaneers in the third round with the 84th overall pick in the draft
Evans with the seventh overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft
Devin White, first round with the fifth overall pick of the 2019 NFL Draft.
Winfield Jr, 45th overall pick in the second round of the 2020 NFL Draft.

then their talent evaluators did some great free agent moves with Shaq Barrett, etc.

THIS is why they won the SB. Not because of Bruce Arians.

Last edited:
Yes but playing musical chairs with the coaches WILL NOT FIX IT.

Do you think Bruce Arians is an amazing coach or something? Yet they won a Super Bowl last season.

Why?

Because their draft/scout department filled their roster with so much talent, it was just waiting for Tom Brady to show up as QB and take them to the promised land.

They won because of their drafting of Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, etc.

Godwin was selected by the Buccaneers in the third round with the 84th overall pick in the draft
Evans with the seventh overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft

then their talent evaluators did some great free agent moves with Shaq Barrett, etc.

THIS is why they won the SB. Not because of Bruce Arians.
Is it possible that it might be the combination of good coaching and good player acquisition? Just a thought.

Sure, but they won't bring you more playoff success. Having a loaded roster full of talent does that.

MIKE TOMLIN won THE SAME AMOUNT OF GAMES AS BRIAN FLORES... 9 games this year. NO DIFFERENCE IN THE AMOUNT OF GAMES WON, BETWEEN A SUPER BOWL "HOF" COACH IN MIKE TOMLIN, AND A BRIAN FLORES.
my guy its about jimmys and joes for sure but to say coaching has nothing to do with it is nuts

Finheaven never fails to deliver on the craziness. I guess any coach could have held the Greatest Show on Turf to 17 points. The Rams mind you had had 5 HOF players on offense.

my guy its about jimmys and joes for sure but to say coaching has nothing to do with it is nuts
Okay but why are you tunnel visioned on the phrase "nothing to do with it"

Coaches have something to do with it, but it's completely overblown, and playing musical chairs with the coaches won't fix it and bring you playoff success. The only thing that can do that is the draft/scouting department hitting on pro bowlers on both sides of the ball.

Back
Top Bottom