The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread

riding_becky said:
The Mets are the worst run organization in the MLB..... that's coming from a Phillies fan which is pathetic. Your team looks great on paper this year but just wait 2 years when:

Wagner is on the DL when he reaggrivates his shoulder injury and you're paying him 11 mil a year

Delgado will try putting his glove on his right hand to see if it improves his defense, while slugging a whopping 23 HR's and batting .255 all while being paid 15 mil for his services

Pedro Martinez will be reduced to a 14.5 mil a year spot starter/ long reliever

And you'll have Milledge, Reyes, and Wright on the trading block looking to add the next Victor Zambrano to "solidify your rotation" for the post season run you won't be making. What would the Mets want to do with young talent? (See Scott Kazhmir)

So enjoy making a serious run at the playoffs this year only to lose to the braves in the final games, but just be ready to watch Ryan Howard slug 50 and the Phillies in the playoffs in 2007.

-riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide becky

You're right about the losing to the Braves part, but the Phillies in the playoffs :confused:

muscle979 said:
You're right about the losing to the Braves part, but the Phillies in the playoffs :confused:

I know my phillies place this year.... 3rd in the division, but Gillick has got them in the right direction and by 2007 the phils will be in the playoffs

-riiiiiiiiiiiide becky

riding_becky said:
I know my phillies place this year.... 3rd in the division, but Gillick has got them in the right direction and by 2007 the phils will be in the playoffs

-riiiiiiiiiiiide becky

YOU KNOW IT!!!! All the Phin haters are gonna be crying when the Phils win the NL East in 2006. :lol:

Roman529 said:
YOU KNOW IT!!!! All the Phin haters are gonna be crying when the Phils win the NL East in 2006. :lol:

Here's a predicition: Atlanta wins the NL East every year until Bobby Cox retires. :D

phunwin said:
Yup. He was pretty good last year, too. 3.53 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, ERA+ of 118. Deserved better than his 13-13 record.

I'll miss Piazza, but he was such a defensive liability and injury risk that he had to go. I'll look forward to his Cooperstown induction as a Met around 2012.
Glavine pitched like poop the 1st half of the season so his 13-13 was lucky. He saved himself with a very nice 2nd half. Now we need a full season of that.

As far as Piazza for 2m I dont know why the heck Omar didnt keep the best Met ever around. Here's a guy thats going to be our 1st position player in the HOF and who was willing to take a part time role....we should have jumped at it.

Boik14 said:
Glavine pitched like poop the 1st half of the season so his 13-13 was lucky. He saved himself with a very nice 2nd half. Now we need a full season of that.

As far as Piazza for 2m I dont know why the heck Omar didnt keep the best Met ever around. Here's a guy thats going to be our 1st position player in the HOF and who was willing to take a part time role....we should have jumped at it.

I doubt Piazza would have signed with the Mets for only 2 million. He probably thought there was more of a market for him than there was in reality. I don't think there was any way Omar was going to resign Mike, right or wrong.

#31 is headed into the Hall as a Met and no one will ever wear that number again. But his days are far far behind him now.

Ray Finkle said:
I doubt Piazza would have signed with the Mets for only 2 million. He probably thought there was more of a market for him than there was in reality. I don't think there was any way Omar was going to resign Mike, right or wrong.

#31 is headed into the Hall as a Met and no one will ever wear that number again. But his days are far far behind him now.
Piazza said publicly as late as august and sept he wanted to stay a met even if it meant as a back up role. He was coming off a 7/91m contract and said repeatedly how much he enjoyed his time as a met.

As far gone as his best days were he and Castro still combined to give the mets the #1 offensive backstop in the NL by far so his effectiveness isnt totally played out. Hes still good for for a 100 games a year 20-70 if you can tolerate watching him throw

muscle979 said:
Here's a predicition: Atlanta wins the NL East every year until Bobby Cox retires. :D

Leo Mazzoni, the Braves pitching coach is gone,,,,,he was the reason the Braves won, not Bobby "wifebeater" Cox.

Boik14 said:
Piazza said publicly as late as august and sept he wanted to stay a met even if it meant as a back up role. He was coming off a 7/91m contract and said repeatedly how much he enjoyed his time as a met.

As far gone as his best days were he and Castro still combined to give the mets the #1 offensive backstop in the NL by far so his effectiveness isnt totally played out. Hes still good for for a 100 games a year 20-70 if you can tolerate watching him throw

The problem with Piazza is that we've long since reached the point of diminishing returns. Piazza's OPS has declined FIVE straight seasons. He went from a massive 1.012 in 2000 down to .778 last year. It's been a steady decline of about 50 points per year. He's 37 now; he's not suddenly going to get better especially catching every day. It's not hard to see Piazza putting up an OPS around .730 or .740 next year, at which point he's a slightly-above average offensive catcher and a terrible defensive one.

He might have said in August that he might come back in a backup role, but I'm skeptical about that. I think he was just trying to play a good soldier. If Omar had contacted him after the LoDuca deal and said "you can catch 35 games, fill in at first for 15, DH a few interleague games and pinch hit", I doubt that he would have accepted that. Personally, I would have given that a shot, futile as it might have been; LoDuca wears down in the second half every year.

Roman529 said:
Leo Mazzoni, the Braves pitching coach is gone,,,,,he was the reason the Braves won, not Bobby "wifebeater" Cox.

Actually, the reason the Braves won was John Schuerholz. NOBODY is better at keeping the cupboard stocked with talent, even with the purse strings are tightened.

Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone know the deal with the Mets new channel? How much it costs and what providers carry it??

Rocky Raccoon said:
does anyone know the deal with the Mets new channel? How much it costs and what providers carry it??

DIRECTV has picked it up. That's all I know about it thus far.

Roman529 said:

Wrong. They win because they have a farm system that grooms their players to play their system and their style of baseball better than any farm system out there. A lot of teams have farm systems that produce stars. But not many, maybe only Atlanta, prepare their stars to play their style of baseball which makes an easy transition for their stars.

MikeO said:
Wrong. They win because they have a farm system that grooms their players to play their system and their style of baseball better than any farm system out there. A lot of teams have farm systems that produce stars. But not many, maybe only Atlanta, prepare their stars to play their style of baseball which makes an easy transition for their stars.

I have to agree with Mike there. Also if Leo was so important to the team why did the Braves simply let him walk away without trying to counter the offer etc? Something sounds fishy there. The Braves are an excellent franchise and their F.O. is very good. You always have to question someone (a player or coach) if the Braves let them go that easily.

Plus I've heard from some of the media that Leo got possibly too much credit and it was really Bobby Cox doing the work. But then again who knows.

Don't count the Braves out they always find new ways to win.

Rocky Raccoon said:

I would expect you'll see more news coming in the next few weeks. A lot of times, these sort of deals come together at the last minute, with mounting pressure on both sides.

That said, you should contact your cable or satellite provider to tell them you want them to pick up SportsNet NY. The more of those calls they get, the more pressure is on them to get a deal done.

Back
Top Bottom