The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread

Saturday March 4th vs. Nationals

Perfect day for baseball... mid 70's, slight breeze and not a cloud in the sky:cooldude:

Heilman pitched the first two innings and looked solid. Bannister came in for the next two innings was also pretty effective. Neither guy gave up a run. Bradford came in for the next two, looked average giving up a run. A few other guys (non-roster invitees) pitched at the end, all were shaky.

It was a bit of a bummer not to see Beltran, Delgado, and Reyes, but D. Wright was there! Wright batted third, not that it matters much given the spring roster, and went hitless.

Anderson Hernandez was very impressive at the plate, 3-4, and looked solid in he few attempts in the field. He's going to push Kaz to get his *** in gear.

Jose Valentin looked like he was hitting BP; he made it look easy. Same thing goes for Cliff Floyd. Man that guy hit the ball hard.

Xavier Nady and Victor Diaz look to put up a great fight for RF. Both hit the ball well, but Nady made an Web Gem type of diving catch in LF. That catch probably saved Bannister a run.

I was stoked to see Lastings Milledge for the first time. Not much action for him in the field or at the plate. 0-1 with an uninspiring at bat.

The Nat's have a great looking kid at 3rd base, Ryan Zimmerman. He hit a jack to lead off the 7th(?). It cleared the fence in left-center by 20-30 feet. Pretty nice shot considering the wind was blowing in pretty siff by that point. He's a pretty big guy with great agility in the field. He made two outstanding plays on bunts that could have easily been infield hits. I couldn't have been more impressed with him. The only for him not to make the roster is if Robinson wants him to play every day in AAA. But, he'll replace Castilla soon enough.

BTW, I guess I never realized that Willie signed Sandy Alomar Sr. to be the 3rd base coach. I'm sure not going to complain about having another great baseball mind on the staff. Oh yea, I was wrong about it being the Met's 2nd game, it was their third.

I've got some pics, they're not great, but tough ****:wink: They'll be up in a few minutes

Wright in the field
clear.gif

Wright at the plate
clear.gif

Floyd putting the hurt on
clear.gif

Anderson Hernandez
clear.gif

Lastings Milledge with the wiff
clear.gif

Ray Finkle said:
As an outsider (non Met fan) I personally think the Mets best line up would be:

Reyes
Beltran
Wright
Delgado
Floyd
LoDuca
Nady
Matsui

Of course there's a problem with Floyd and Delgado being two lefties back to back. But if I were managing the team that's what I would do, or possibly flip Wright and Delgado.

I think the best lineup would be this...
Reyes (for now, see below)
Beltran
Delgado
Wright
Floyd
LoDuca
Diaz (I think he's a better player than Nady)
Matsui/Boone/Hernandez/Keppinger/Woodward/Backman/Teufel

If Reyes continues in his inability to draw a walk, I would drop him to 7th and put Beltran or LoDuca in the leadoff spot, with the other one second. Getting on base is a leadoff hitter's first job. Stealing bases is a distant second.

I would put Delgado in the 3 hole to separate the two lefties, and because, in any event, Delgado's a better hitter than Wright is anyway (for now). I'd like the best hitter in the lineup hitting 3rd.

Is anyone else keeping a very close eye on the Soriano situation? This is becoming a Mexican standoff over his refusal to play the OF. Every day that passes, I become more convinced that they'll have to turn around and move him for 75 cents on the dollar. His defense at 2nd sucks, but the bat more than makes up for it.

I agree with you, Reyes scored 99 runs last year with an OBP of .300, just picture how many runs he could score if he learned how to walk.

Come on Met fans, take your pick: Alex Cora or Tony Graffinano? (I also think that Soriano will be a Met by April though).

Mets and Indians are playing on ESPN....Floyd just homered...it is 1-1 in the 2nd inning. Hey when did the Muts get Julio Franco?...isn't he like 50 years old. :D

Roman529 said:
Mets and Indians are playing on ESPN....Floyd just homered...it is 1-1 in the 2nd inning. Hey when did the Muts get Julio Franco?...isn't he like 50 years old. :D

Yep, they signed him as a free agent.

Finswin56, I think Alomar was the bench coach last year?

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Yep, they signed him as a free agent.

Finswin56, I think Alomar was the bench coach last year?
Sometimes I'm just way out there in left field:o

phunwin said:
Is anyone else keeping a very close eye on the Soriano situation? This is becoming a Mexican standoff over his refusal to play the OF. Every day that passes, I become more convinced that they'll have to turn around and move him for 75 cents on the dollar. His defense at 2nd sucks, but the bat more than makes up for it.
Can't help but get a little excited about Soriano. I just wish we could move Matsui. I'd take a 6 pack of Kriwin for him at this point. If Matsui was gone, I'd love to see what Anderson Hernandez could do. He's probably still a bit too raw, but that guy impressed the heck of us Saturday. 3 for 4 with a stolen base. I'm pretty sure his one out was a liner to the opposite field.

Ray Finkle said:
I agree with you, Reyes scored 99 runs last year with an OBP of .300, just picture how many runs he could score if he learned how to walk.

Come on Met fans, take your pick: Alex Cora or Tony Graffinano? (I also think that Soriano will be a Met by April though).

I actually wouldn't mind Graffanino. At least he can hit. Cora wouldn't help; if we want a good-field, no-hit player, we'll just stick Anderson Hernandez at 2nd.

Matsui is horrible. Thank God this is the last year of his contract.

phunwin said:
I actually wouldn't mind Graffanino. At least he can hit. Cora wouldn't help; if we want a good-field, no-hit player, we'll just stick Anderson Hernandez at 2nd.

Matsui is horrible. Thank God this is the last year of his contract.
Not that it means a great deal, but he's batting .333 in 21 at bats this spring. After seeing him in person, I'm getting pretty excited about this kid.

finswin56 said:
Not that it means a great deal, but he's batting .333 in 21 at bats this spring. After seeing him in person, I'm getting pretty excited about this kid.

He is said to have a good stick, but he stunk when called up last year. Good to see him doing well.

Back
Top Bottom