The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread

I want to make some side bets with you Mets fans when my Phillies play you.....maybe we could bet the loser has to post a Phillies/Mets sig or avatar for a week??? :tongue:

chris84chambers said:
i dont talk to much met fans but i was wondering, how do u like reyes? like him alot? little? average?

If Reyes could learn that taking 4 balls isn't a sin, I'd like him a lot. As it is, he's on track to be a better fielding version of Tony Womack. I hope I'm wrong. Speed without plate patience isn't very helpful, and that's all Reyes is right now.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
He is said to have a good stick, but he stunk when called up last year. Good to see him doing well.

There's enough offense to go around. All our second baseman needs to do is play strong defense. If Hernandez can win the job, whatever he gives us with the stick is a bonus.

Ray Finkle said:
As an outsider (non Met fan) I personally think the Mets best line up would be:

Reyes
Beltran
Wright
Delgado
Floyd
LoDuca
Nady
Matsui

Of course there's a problem with Floyd and Delgado being two lefties back to back. But if I were managing the team that's what I would do, or possibly flip Wright and Delgado.
As a Met fan I totally agree. beltran career splits even show he hits about 20-25pts higher in the 2 hole as opposed to the 3 and hes even admitted to pressing to hit Hrs in the 3 slot. There's good and bad points to it though.

If CB hits 3rd it makes the mets lineup deeper. Loduca is great for his k/per AB and so its a good contact guy hitting right behind reyes.
The downside is that Loduca is a slow runner and so this can lead to more DP's than we'd like. In addition, despite Loduca's great K/Ab rate, his OPB and OPS arent that good so for that reason I still like Beltran hitting 2nd.

Roman529 said:
I want to make some side bets with you Mets fans when my Phillies play you.....maybe we could bet the loser has to post a Phillies/Mets sig or avatar for a week??? :tongue:
Ill take that! Your gonna lose buddy! :cooldude:

phunwin said:
If Reyes could learn that taking 4 balls isn't a sin, I'd like him a lot. As it is, he's on track to be a better fielding version of Tony Womack. I hope I'm wrong. Speed without plate patience isn't very helpful, and that's all Reyes is right now.
juan pierre was the exact same way when he came up. And Reyes is a hell of a lot more talented than Juan Pierre. We forget hes still a baby and only 21

Boik14 said:
juan pierre was the exact same way when he came up. And Reyes is a hell of a lot more talented than Juan Pierre. We forget hes still a baby and only 21

Here's the problem with that:
1. I don't think Pierre is a particularly great example to emulate. He's drawn more than 45 walks in a season exactly once. An ideal leadoff hitter would draw at least 70 per year.
2. Pierre drew 13 walks in 51 games when he came up. That equates to 41 over a full season. That's a pretty good approximation of what he's done since then. Most players don't increase their walk rate much from what they do when they first start out in the bigs.

I think, though I don't know for sure, that Rickey Henderson is working as an instructor with the Mets. If so, Rickey needs to sit down with Reyes and try to help him with his batting eye.

phunwin said:
I think, though I don't know for sure, that Rickey Henderson is working as an instructor with the Mets. If so, Rickey needs to sit down with Reyes and try to help him with his batting eye.
I've heard the same thing about Rickey being there. Hopefully Rickey gets through to Reyes.
I like Reyes, but I don't love him yet. Guys that get hamstring injuries scare me. It just seems to be a chronic thing with some of them.

finswin56 said:
I've heard the same thing about Rickey being there. Hopefully Rickey gets through to Reyes.
I like Reyes, but I don't love him yet. Guys that get hamstring injuries scare me. It just seems to be a chronic thing with some of them.

I'm giving up on Reyes being a walk machine like Henderson, but if they could just get him to take 50 to 60 walks a year, I'd be thrilled. That's going to be tough, though. A guy sees the ball a certain way, and reacts a certain way. It's not something that can physically be tinkered with like a hitch in a swing or a release point for a pitcher. You basically have to get inside his head and condition him differently from how he's been reacting to the baseball for 15 years or so. That's why you very seldom see a guy's walk totals increase greatly from his minor league totals; either he has plate patience or he doesn't. Hopefully, Reyes can be taught some, but I'm skeptical.

I'm not real worried about the hamstrings. He played all year last season, so I'm guessing he's over that. Back injuries concern me much more; those don't go away. Ask any Houston Rockets fan about Tracy McGrady, for example.

phunwin said:
Here's the problem with that:
1. I don't think Pierre is a particularly great example to emulate. He's drawn more than 45 walks in a season exactly once. An ideal leadoff hitter would draw at least 70 per year.
2. Pierre drew 13 walks in 51 games when he came up. That equates to 41 over a full season. That's a pretty good approximation of what he's done since then. Most players don't increase their walk rate much from what they do when they first start out in the bigs.

- Rickey was invited to spring training to work with reyes.

- Pierre was every bit as undisciplined as Reyes even if the walks dont necessarily reflect it. Pierre was a very free swinger and the main reason Colorado dealt was because they felt he couldnt ever be a productive leadoff hitter. Even if his walk rate hasnt improved, his abilityt o make contact has improved to the point that hes always a league leader in hits, BA and infield hits. The reason I bring that up is because Reyes has the type of speed to make the impact in the hits column but even over the course of last year he improved with his willingness to take pitches. In late may/early june his OBP was hovering around 27% and by seasons end he was at 30%. Not great but at various points it did get as high as 315. Again not great but hes only 21. Cant lose sight of that. Improving your walks comes down to discipline and discipline is smething you can always work to instill if the player is willing. Reyes has never said he wouldnt so there's no reason to think he cant improve his obp.

Boik14 said:
- Rickey was invited to spring training to work with reyes.

- Pierre was every bit as undisciplined as Reyes even if the walks dont necessarily reflect it. Pierre was a very free swinger and the main reason Colorado dealt was because they felt he couldnt ever be a productive leadoff hitter. Even if his walk rate hasnt improved, his abilityt o make contact has improved to the point that hes always a league leader in hits, BA and infield hits. The reason I bring that up is because Reyes has the type of speed to make the impact in the hits column but even over the course of last year he improved with his willingness to take pitches. In late may/early june his OBP was hovering around 27% and by seasons end he was at 30%. Not great but at various points it did get as high as 315. Again not great but hes only 21. Cant lose sight of that. Improving your walks comes down to discipline and discipline is smething you can always work to instill if the player is willing. Reyes has never said he wouldnt so there's no reason to think he cant improve his obp.

To the extent that plate discipline is reflected in an increased ability to be selective with the pitch, that's good news, but it's not Reyes' ability to make contact that I'm worried about, as the Rox were with Pierre. Unless he can hit about .330, with those few walks, he won't be an effective leadoff hitter. The walk rate absolutely must improve, and history tells us that it usually doesn't. Suffice to say, I hope you're right, but I doubt it.

I know you guys love this stuff but I hate the Mets. Every friggen Mets bumper sticker has a New York license plate under it. And they moved here...arrrggggg

cnc66 said:
I know you guys love this stuff but I hate the Mets. Every friggen Mets bumper sticker has a New York license plate under it. And they moved here...arrrggggg

Not in Jersey!:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom