The Official 2007 Gold Cup Thread | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2007 Gold Cup Thread

Now, I'm piecing it together. You said once you hate the Spanish (or something like that if I remember correctly?). Is that the reason why (the history with native tribes in what is today Mexico)?

Yeah, my mom is a linguist and her grandmother was Nanh'u and my dad is an Anthropologist. When I was 6 years old I lived for a year amongst the indigenous community in Angahuan Michoacan (as a matter of fact when I was 1 I traveled all along nahuatl communities in Veracruz). So in our family there is a very strong current of pro-indigenist train of thought.

But my mother has taken that and extended it to a sort of irrational dislike for spaniards, one that she sort of taught us since we where kids, so in general, I dislike spaniards.

I don't think it's that minor Q. At least not in my book. When you have to qualify for a tournament by placement of another tournament (as is the case for small carribean nations such as Cuba, Guadeloupe, T&T and Haiti who performed well in the 2007 Caribbean Nations Cup), it can't be considered very very very very minor.

Mexico has nothing to be ashamed of, except in its over criticism of Hugo. I know he doesn't deserve a pass, but he was probably the greatest player in the history of Mexico and he's been dealt an awful hand as the squad is lacking their horses. You simply cannot trot out a new set of players on the back-end, and think you won't miss a beat. The linkage with the mid isn't the same, the space the new defenders can cover probably isn't the same, it's like builiding a robot without the legs. And if those missing legs happen to be named Marquez, Salcido and Osorio, you're in trouble. :)

BTW I have a friend who got a job as a liaison office for the Haitian team. Free trip to Miami, hotel, nightlife all included. I told him though he'd better polish up on his creole, he told me, no they all speak french. Turns out they don't and he's be rendered useless. Still getting paid though.:lol:

But the problem here is that Salcido is healthy, Osorio is healthy, only Marquez is injured, he has just decided not to play them. So that falls squarely on Hugo's shoulder. THat and the fact that this man promised us a World Championship (we know he can't deliver, but the bar was set by himself) and spent the whole term of Ricardo LaVolpe, basically going on the newspapers and criticizing every move the guy did, and calling him a failure because he went and lost to Portugal.... Portugal not Honduras.

THe problem with Sanchez is that he talks the talk, but when it is time to walk the walk, he is not willing to hear any criticism for his lack of results. Add to that that the team is not only loosing, but not playing well while loosing, add to that that the guy waltzes into the managerial position without having enough experience to actually be the manager (his resume is that he coached Pumas for 3 seasons, and coached Necaxa for one month, in that time he won 2 championships with Pumas, but that is all he has done) and yet he got the Team basically beccause he is a big name, and people love him because he is the greatest Soccer PLAYER (I stress player because greatest coach belongs to Javier el Vasco Aguirre) and because he had created such a situation in which they knew that if they hired anyone else, he would be on their case throughout the 4 years, which considering the fact that he is immensely popular, would be hard on marketing.

There are few things you have to do to keep MExicans happy, one is you can't loose to the US, I know the US has dominated us, but still it has cost people their job already, and will continue to do so... Hugo's first game as a coach was a loss to the US. And the other one, which is even bigger is that you can't, unless you are playing a soccer great, loose in Estadio Azteca, Hugo's first game as a coach in Estadio Azteca was a loss. I don't care if he was the greatest mexican player that ever lived, he was not ready to coach the national team, we where promised a serious review, they where saying they would hire people like Scolari, Hiddink, Marcello Lippi, Marcelo Bielsa, Klinsmann, and they went after none of those, they handed the job to Hugo. So he better be ready to accept the criticism that comes with it, and not throw out stupid excuses like the field was a bad field, and Blanco got thrown out of the game.

It is our responsability to WIN the Gold Cup, anything less than that, and no matter the circumstances, the Gold Cup is a failure.

But the problem here is that Salcido is healthy, Osorio is healthy, only Marquez is injured, he has just decided not to play them. So that falls squarely on Hugo's shoulder. THat and the fact that this man promised us a World Championship (we know he can't deliver, but the bar was set by himself) and spent the whole term of Ricardo LaVolpe, basically going on the newspapers and criticizing every move the guy did, and calling him a failure because he went and lost to Portugal.... Portugal not Honduras.

THe problem with Sanchez is that he talks the talk, but when it is time to walk the walk, he is not willing to hear any criticism for his lack of results. Add to that that the team is not only loosing, but not playing well while loosing, add to that that the guy waltzes into the managerial position without having enough experience to actually be the manager (his resume is that he coached Pumas for 3 seasons, and coached Necaxa for one month, in that time he won 2 championships with Pumas, but that is all he has done) and yet he got the Team basically beccause he is a big name, and people love him because he is the greatest Soccer PLAYER (I stress player because greatest coach belongs to Javier el Vasco Aguirre) and because he had created such a situation in which they knew that if they hired anyone else, he would be on their case throughout the 4 years, which considering the fact that he is immensely popular, would be hard on marketing.

There are few things you have to do to keep MExicans happy, one is you can't loose to the US, I know the US has dominated us, but still it has cost people their job already, and will continue to do so... Hugo's first game as a coach was a loss to the US. And the other one, which is even bigger is that you can't, unless you are playing a soccer great, loose in Estadio Azteca, Hugo's first game as a coach in Estadio Azteca was a loss. I don't care if he was the greatest mexican player that ever lived, he was not ready to coach the national team, we where promised a serious review, they where saying they would hire people like Scolari, Hiddink, Marcello Lippi, Marcelo Bielsa, Klinsmann, and they went after none of those, they handed the job to Hugo. So he better be ready to accept the criticism that comes with it, and not throw out stupid excuses like the field was a bad field, and Blanco got thrown out of the game.

It is our responsability to WIN the Gold Cup, anything less than that, and no matter the circumstances, the Gold Cup is a failure.

Guatemala will win the cup:unsure: So its a failure for Mexico......:lol:

You're actually telling me Sanchez did not invite Osorio and Salcido !!?!?
If so, I take back what I said about him, he really is an idiot.

You're actually telling me Sanchez did not invite Osorio and Salcido !!?!?
If so, I take back what I said about him, he really is an idiot.

he invited them, he is just benching them. And both are healthy enough to play, as a matter of fact Salcido played the last five minutes of the Cuba game, and then said that he felt like it was a insult that he was not playing more... but he is still not playing.

Ok game time in an hour in Foxborough (ugh!) ...US needs a tie or win agaibst El Salvador to take 1st place of the group. Mastroeni and Onyewu are back from suspensions. Both will probably start. WTF is wrong with Finheaven by the way...?

Game is about to begin....

US is going to come out with a 4-3-2-1....

Howard is going to be in goal. Backline from left to right...

Bradley's favorite (eh) Bornstein. Parkhurst and Onyewu in the middle, and Spector on the right. (No Bocanegra nor Hejduk...)

Center Midfielder is a returning Mastroeni. To his right will be Bradley and to Mastroeni's left will be Feilhaber.

Donovan and Beasley out wide. Dempsey the lone man up top.

Back
Top Bottom