The Official Olympic thread | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official Olympic thread

d-day said:
curling for me... honestly - i luv it - i could watch that and maybe univision all day long... :dday:

I started watching curling this year and now I watch everytime its one. It looks like it would be fun to try.:lol:

Team USA Hockey beating Kazakstan 2-0 in the first on the USA channel. :wink:

Hostile7 said:
When is Lindsey Jacobellis competing? I'll watch her because she's cute, but screw the rest of the olympics.

She got the silver in snowboard X. She was leading the whole race and fell at the finish line and finished second..

wpgfishfan said:
D-day I think you will like your U.S. women's team. They trained a bit here in Winnipeg and they are easy on the eyes

you aint kiddin' - cassie and jamie johnson... :drool:

clear.gif

IdahoPhin said:
She got the silver in snowboard X. She was leading the whole race and fell at the finish line and finished second..
Yeah that sucks I missed it. I'll have to watch SC tonight to see her. Other then that, it's lame I missed her compete.

IdahoPhin said:

yea I just read about that...she fell because she was trying to do an unnecessary trick and botched it.

It's been a long time since those humble boys at Lake Placid. This chick symbolizes just how far U.S. athletes have come, in terms of class and humility. She could have hopped to the finish line, and gold glory, but instead, she insisted on hot dogging and hamming for the lenses.

Watch for it tonight on TV. This is an all-time sports gaffe. Right up there with Leon Lett.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/snowboarding/5113610/detail.html

Jacobellis flub makes Frieden a champion

Posted: Feb.17, 2006, 8:13 am CST; Updated: Feb.17, 2006, 1:55 pm CST

BARDONECCHIA, Italy (AP) -- Alone in the clear, Lindsey Jacobellis could have practically crawled to the finish line and won.

After an Olympic-sized flub, she probably wishes she had.

Coasting to what should have been a runaway victory Friday, the 20-year-old American grabbed her board on the second-to-last jump before the finish line. Inexplicably -- and some say inexcusably -- she fell.

"I was caught up in the moment," Jacobellis said.

While she scrambled to her feet, Switzerland's Tanja Frieden caught up and sped past Jacobellis to become the first champion in the strange and wild sport of Olympic women's snowboard cross. Jacobellis, who is sometimes referred to by her parents as "Lucky Lindsey," settled for silver.

Then, the debate began.

"She definitely styled that a little too hard," U.S. snowboarding coach Peter Foley said, after looking at a frame-by-frame breakdown of the jump taken by Associated Press photographers.

Jacobellis was so far ahead as she approached the fateful jump that Frieden couldn't even be seen in the early frames of the AP photo breakdown.

So, the question is, should Jacobellis have gone for the so-called "backside method grab" she attempted at the end -- a trick she rarely tries and one that included a flashy 60-degree twist right in front of the grandstands?

To many, it was blatant hot-dogging. In the moments after the race, Jacobellis insisted it was pretty much standard operating procedure and that she did it only to "create stability."

This is worse then Leon Lett. As least his team still won. She lost the gold and if the 2 Canadians did not crash she would have had no medal instead of a silver

3 more medals today BTW:canada:

I almost forget about that huge upset of Sweden over the USA in hockey. I caught the shootout and the americans had their chances but missed

They just gave the hockey gold to Canada

I thought this was shown last night... I'm watching the Olympics right now (although it sucks have to watch every god damn other event). I feel bad for her... She's only 20, having fun and bam... The best in the world gets silver.

I think people are being rough on her (the media, not you guys). Bode Miller just sucks balls. He hasn't won ****, and it's because he's lame. I wish the sports media would start blasting him... Oh yeah, ESPN is using his commercials (although PTI guys were hard on him, which is good).

Is Jacobellis competing in anything else? I thought she was running two events or something?

Hostile7 said:
I thought this was shown last night... I'm watching the Olympics right now (although it sucks have to watch every god damn other event). I feel bad for her... She's only 20, having fun and bam... The best in the world gets silver.

I think people are being rough on her (the media, not you guys).

Come on. Don't give this girl a free pass just because she's a girl, and cute. She screwed up, big time. It was arrogant, and unnecessary. And she botched it further in the press tent by suggesting the hot dogging was to solidify her position in case there was any doubt. Lie.

PressCoverage said:
Come on. Don't give this girl a free pass just because she's a girl, and cute. She screwed up, big time. It was arrogant, and unnecessary. And she botched it further in the press tent by suggesting the hot dogging was to solidify her position in case there was any doubt. Lie.
I haven't heard that story and I've been watched ESPN a lot today... I know she at one time suggested it was in her routine and she needed to make sure the board was stable, then she came clean and admitting hot-dogging. I just don't think it is a big deal... It's not as if she is competing with a team (obviously team USA, but it's not a team sport like the big 3 baseball, basketball and football).

Back
Top Bottom