the official senior bowl week discussion thread... | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

the official senior bowl week discussion thread...

They are pretty much the same size & both played for Miami Northwestern during their championship run in high school. That's surprising, Spence is probably one of the smartest college LBs I've seen play, true leader, knows everyone's assignments, great character, good tackler.

you guys all love your canes...spence to me is a rocked up safety trying to play lb...great athlete but i don't think he's gonna be a read and diagnose guy at the next level...package specific as in nickle lb and specials guy imo...i wouldn't use a top 3 round pick on him i know that for any scheme...and if i'm a 34 i wouldn't use a pick on him period...unless it was for specials only and that would have to be very late

coples is blowing stuff up with his penetration in 11 on 11 drills...he's walking guys 2 yards into the backfield and just clogging things up...the dlines are dominant

i think nick foles has got a bit too much check down in him personally...throw the damn ball down the field every once in a while...

this baylor center/guard blake sits down pretty well in pass pro and has strength in his hands...i like what i've seen there

coples is blowing stuff up with his penetration in 11 on 11 drills...he's walking guys 2 yards into the backfield and just clogging things up...the dlines are dominant

If Coples keeps it up he might not make it to our pick.

mayock just said weeden had a torn labrum as a baseball player and never had surgery...don't shoot the messenger but i don't think torn labrums heal by themselves

If Coples keeps it up he might not make it to our pick.

he's getting his arms extended and just walking people into the backfield...i just wish he had a more explosive get off at the snap...it's the only thing i see missing...he's freakin body beautiful i'll tell ya that...

he's getting his arms extended and just walking people into the backfield...i just wish he had a more explosive get off at the snap...it's the only thing i see missing...
True...top 10 pick I want a double digit sack guy. But then again...he could still be a double digit sack guy.

yeah buddy...it is night and day the difference in the talent levels of the south roster vs the north imo...there are some really nice looking prospects on this south squad...coples ingram upshaw as advertised in one on one rush drills...ingram with a sick spin move on one...coples showing nice strength and more importantly solid hand use to get off the block in his pass rush...upshaw bull rush and then uses his hands to toss the lineman to the ground...cordy glenn massive guy with pretty damn good feet...joe adams looks damn good...there's some corner here named bentley who can play...laradius green the te separating out of his breaks...i'm liking what i see there...

sean spence looks awfully light to me...i'm thinking he's not a 3 down player in the pros... he looks like lovante david size wise but i think david is a much more instinctual lb...i like david a lot except for that size

south squad should roll on saturday...this is the kind of talent i was hoping to see

incredibly fast, athletic and smart, but just a tad too small imo.

reminds me of Rennie Curran from a few years ago. I think he could be great in Tampa-2 defense.

incredibly fast, athletic and smart, but just a tad too small imo.

reminds me of Rennie Curran from a few years ago. I think he could be great in Tampa-2 defense.

i was thinking of the guy who went to ga i think it was and plays undersized for baltimore im some sets at lb...name escapes me...but even that guy had a better body for contact at lb than spence...he's too small imo...i bet he'd be a demon specials though...but i bet he'd struggle majorly getting off blocks or holding up at the poa at lb...that body is gonna keep him on the board into day 3 imo...

True...top 10 pick I want a double digit sack guy. But then again...he could still be a double digit sack guy.

he could with his strength on contact...no doubt about that imo...if he did have that explosive get off though i think he'd be a lock all pro as long as his motor ran hot all the time...

i was thinking of the guy who went to ga i think it was and plays undersized for baltimore im some sets at lb...name escapes me...but even that guy had a better body for contact at lb than spence...he's too small imo...i bet he'd be a demon specials though...but i bet he'd struggle majorly getting off blocks or holding up at the poa

I think you're thinking of Dannell Ellerbe.

Spence will probably develop into a great nickel LB and maybe start on some defenses that like undersized LBs (Colts, Bucs).

2 of my favorite LB prospects in this draft; Lavonte David and Sean Spence, just happen to be 2 of the most undersized players at their position in this draft class.

I think you're thinking of Dannell Ellerbe.

Spence will probably develop into a great nickel LB and maybe start on some defenses that like undersized LBs (Colts, Bucs).

if i was one of those teams i would take david over him all day long...david to me is a perfect fit for the colts with the way they like their lbs

First of all, as to my Saban comments- they were unnecessary and I deleted them. I always kind of liked Alabama- as to the Saban element I'll just let that be. As to Alabama and their recent and past success, more power to you. Having grown up in south Florida, I've spent plenty of time watching periods of dominance by UM, UF, FSU and the Gators, who crushed Alabama regularly if I recall correctly. The upshot of it all is that I really don't care, I was never particularly partial to any college team, it just doesn't matter to me. UF won 2 recently, the U, FSU- we've had plenty of championships that I really couldn't care less about- btw UM should have had one more but for the Ohio State fleecing. But again, no big deal, college football isn't particularly important to me. Unfortunately, because of the Saban connection, I find myself these days rooting against Alabama, but that's neither here nor there. I can assure you that Florida football fans have been equally ambivalent as to what the good people of Alabama thought of our teams over the decades of our dominance. As a side note, I did get a chance to meet Barry Krauss's parents a few times quite a few years ago, very nice people, from Pompano I believe.

As a Dolphin fan I am, by the way, very gratelfull to the Tide for Bob Baumhower, Dwight Stephenson and one of my all time favorites, Don McNeal.

As to the conferences- I'd have to revisit tape of Rodgers at Cal to see what mechanical changes, if any, have taken place. As with the Pac 10 when Elway and Aikman were there, I wouldn't judge those two guys by a lack of defense in that conference 30 years ago, nor am I disuaded froom being a huge fan of Weeden because of the same. Case Keenum, Timmy Chang, take your pick- stats do lie, some conferences to play better defense than others, I get that.

RG III lights it up in Weeden's conference- I like him, but I far from love him. I love Weeden's game, and I don't need to see him play an SEC team to confirm that. Everything clicks, starting with the absolutely stellar arm, the power, the accuracy, the size, the deceptive mobility, the character, the mental comprehension and approach to the game (as he's considered basically another offensive coach out there from what I gather).

It just works for me, from his quck feet and smooth movement in the pocket, his decision making, take your pick. It might not look quite as easy if he were playing in the SEC, I'll grant you that for sure, but Weeden's qualities would still shine through. No QB that I've seen in the SEC can touch him, with the possible exception of Tyler Wilson, who I like very much.

I would guess that the Senior Bowl will be a great opportunity for Weeden to dispell some of those "weak conference opposing defense" concerns, and my guess is that he'll do just fine. If I recall correctly Josh Freeman played in Weeden's conference- I like but don't love him, but seriously, there are only so many franchise QBs to go around. Peyton might be done, I like Matt Stafford quite a bit, Brady and Brees are Big 10 guys, but when all is said and done I'm not terribly concerned about the conferences in question- I'm concerned about the player. There are plenty of Chad Hennes for every Tom Brady, that's just how it goes. The conference doesn't make the player- an obvious assessment no doubt, but nonetheless true. For better or worse I'm jusging Weeden by what I see from him, not by the conference that he plays in. And what I see is a supremely talented QB who will be a steal, due to his age, in the second round if in fact he lasts that long.

So congrats to the Tide, they deserve it, and it is quite a feat for the state of Alabama to have both UA and AU win titles back to back, something that the people of Alabama can be proud of for sure. Saban has done one hell of a job over there, and despite my dislike for the guy, no one can take that away from him.

Alabama has never worried about any of UM's, UF's, or FSU's success. If it wasn't for an Alabama guy to begin with (Howard Schnellenberger) the University of Miami wouldn't even have a football team. An Alabama guy built that program from scratch and saved it. Schnellenberger was Bear's OC at Bama, and learned from the best program builder there's ever been as to how to build a winner from scratch. I'm old enough to remember when Miami was nothing but homecoming fodder for the real blue-bloods of college football. We scheduled Miami for the first ever televised game in the history of Bryant-Denny Stadium... a 30-0 beatdown of the Canes. I believe Bama is somewhere around 14-3 all time vs. Miami. The point is, Miami fans need not ever forget that a Bama coach is why they ever became relevant in the first place.

Same for FSU. Bobby Bowden is an Alabama guy (Birmingham) born and breed. His dream job was always to coach at Alabama. Bobby Bowden grew up an Alabama fan, and still is. Still comes to the games as a matter of fact.

As for the mechanics Rodgers had to be "de-Tedfordized" from, the most basic were in the setup and delivery. The way he held the football way up by his right ear, which was always a Tedford trademark. It was an advantage in Tedford's system, but a hinderance in the NFL. They had to break him of it. There's an article on it around here somewhere that I posted in another thread. I'll find it and insert it here....

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/136856133.html

Alabama has won at least one national championship in every single decade since the 1960's, and have already started off a 6th straight decade with another via the pummeling of LSU a few weeks ago. Alabama football stands on it's own above all else. I probably don't need to speak on it. Even I'm not qualified to put the mecca of college football into proper perspective, and I've been a part of it for almost 50 years.

Big-10 quarterbacks have nothing to do with this either, as the Big-10 has been producing legitimate NFL quarterbacks for over half a century. Along with the Pac-10 and SEC. Hell, your boy Tim Tebow is the worst passer to come out of the SEC in years, yet even he somehow gets it done in the NFL better than any QB the Big-12 has ever produced. I wasn't lumping in Big-12 quarterbacks, or the lackthereof....I was singling it out. Josh Freeman isn't a legitimate franchise quarterback, or even very close to it. I had that argument last year.

i like vick ballard...i think someones gonna steal something there if they get that kid in the 4th round...217 lbs...yes indeed i like what i see there

Slimm, CK, or anyone else for that matter, have any of you seen or heard anything about Sean Spence during either practice? It's not necessarily a good or bad thing I guess.

Not much. I watched him a little bit in drills earlier where they had him covering the RB's catching passes out of the backfield, etc. Spence whiffed at the LOS and was easily roasted for a touchdown.

I've always liked Spence despite his lack of size, but with the understanding that he's a niche player, and won't be a fit for every team. He hits a lot harder than 228 pounds. He's just raw as a turnip like all the talent that comes out of Miami over the past several years. I think he wants to be coached up, and will at the very least make a good special teams player.

Not as good as his former high school teammate Lavonte David though. I've had him pegged as a stud since last year. They're very similar in size and skillset, David is just further developed at this point in reading his keys, and is the more sound tackler.

Back
Top Bottom