the official senior bowl week discussion thread... | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

the official senior bowl week discussion thread...

imo if david was 15 lbs heavier we'd be talkin about him as a top 20 pick...

I haven't been following closely, so I'll trust the judgment of those here:

Who have been the most surprising (hype as a measurement?)
Who have been the most underwhelming (hype as a measurement?)
If you could choose one player from each position, who would it be?

These are all good questions.

I wasn't surprised by anyone measuring in substantially bigger than what I thought. However, I was a little surprised to see Joe Adams and DeQuan Menzie both measure in under 5'11".

It's hard for me to pick just one guy that I like at every position, but if I had to pick, I'd pick the same one's that I would've picked going in.

QB - Weeden / Lindley

RB - Doug Martin / Vick Ballard

WR - Jeff Fuller / Joe Adams / T.J. Graham

TE - Egnew / Ladarius Green

OT - Matt McCants / Jeff Allen

OG - Kevin Zeitler / Will Blackwell

C - Brewster / Phillip Blake

DE - Coples / Ingram

DT - Ta'amu

3-4 Rush LB - Upshaw / Cam Johnson

4-3 LB - Lavonte David / Keenan Robinson

CB - Casey Hayward / Janoris Jenkins / Jamell Fleming

S - Iloka / Brandon Taylor

coples just said something interesting...he said in 2010 when he had his 12 sack season he played on the left side and in 2011 the coaches asked him to play on the right...he said there was a transition there...i would think if he came here to play 43 end for us we'd line him up over the right side at least on early downs and then maybe in obvious passing downs let him power rush from the left side to get wake and his get off against right tackles...

that brewster guy has a nasty streak to him...got to like that

mayock just said weeden had a torn labrum as a baseball player and never had surgery...don't shoot the messenger but i don't think torn labrums heal by themselves

Brandon Weeden himself says that's not true. Never tore anything, he says. He contacted me privately to let me know that because I said the same thing Mayock did.

Brandon Weeden himself says that's not true. Never tore anything, he says. He contacted me privately to let me know that because I said the same thing Mayock did.

well then mayock just told a fib...or weeden did to you...one or the other...

Honest opinion of Sean Spence? I think if you draft him you're going to get the same player as Zack Brown for a fraction of the draft cost (in terms of points). Flame away. That's what I think.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

well then mayock just told a fib...or weeden did to you...one or the other...

I'm gonna go with Brandon on this one...if you tear a labrum there are things you just can't do.

am i the only one here who thinks irelands gonna be very interested in audie cole??? you just know he loves that size...and frankly after what i saw from cole in the bowl game i'm interested in that kid as well...

I'll have to look at the bowl game but I just see a guy that tops out at a Scott Fujita, who coincidentally I believe Jeff Ireland does have some experience with. Cole just doesn't have that killer trigger and instinct, that physicality about him. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he showed it in the bowl game for pretty much the first time ever. But when I watch him I can't ever shake the feeling of disappointment.

'
As for the mechanics Rodgers had to be "de-Tedfordized" from, the most basic were in the setup and delivery. The way he held the football way up by his right ear, which was always a Tedford trademark. It was an advantage in Tedford's system, but a hinderance in the NFL. They had to break him of it. There's an article on it around here somewhere that I posted in another thread. I'll find it and insert it here....

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/136856133.html

Alabama has won at least one national championship in every single decade since the 1960's, and have already started off a 6th straight decade with another via the pummeling of LSU a few weeks ago. Alabama football stands on it's own above all else. I probably don't need to speak on it. Even I'm not qualified to put the mecca of college football into proper perspective, and I've been a part of it for almost 50 years.

I attended a Cal vs. USC game in the Coliseum when Rodgers was a senior. He had that weird ball position with the tip out, and an awkward delivery as a result, with restricted velocity. I remember likening it to a flawed golf swing, the dreaded flying elbow. In spring '05 I was new to Finheaven and argued against taking Rodgers with the second pick as a consequence of that game, and Tedford's poor mechanics. He broke some type of completion percentage record against USC but it was otherwise a ghastly performance. Cal had open receivers downfield all day but Rodgers didn't dare attempt any of the throws. Sorority girls not far from me in the stands were literally laughing at him as a result.

This season, when Green Bay marched toward unbeaten, I often thought back to that game, in disbelief that it was the same guy. Merrill Hodge also ripped Rodgers leading up to the draft, based on all the dink and dunk passes against USC. It's the most remarkable transformation I've ever seen.

I don't know about Weeden. My base impression is that one of the great piano players in the world doesn't spend a half dozen or more years thinking he's a ballet dancer. But that's the way I think, what would be true 55-60% of the time, if not considerably higher, based on a wide scope and without fretting variables specific to the case. Tomorrow I can apply college basketball systems I discovered in the '80s and that still work wonderfully. But thankfully I'm not trying to hit 100%, unlike general managers who might draft one quarterback in the first round during their career. Imagine being a pilot and unless you bat 1.000 for life you're a corpse, and perhaps infamous. Not for me.

Bit of a low delivery and more line drive prone than my preference. But that applies to others who have thrived in the league, like Joe Theismann.

Big 12 doubts are valid, IMO, in fact underplayed. Can you imagine a quarterback with a recent Big 12 comfort zone asked to overcome a defense like the 49ers displayed last Sunday, with every underneath route blanketed and obliterated, and the quarterback battered all day? That was as close to a 2000 Ravens or 2001 Buccaneers effort as I've seen under the new rules, at least in terms of denying the short junk.

BTW, if Alabama won a national championship in the decade of the 1980s they crafted their own trophy and decided on their own criteria, which had nothing to do with performance on the field. Alabama never seriously threatened a title in that decade, other than perhaps 1989 when Miami defeated them in the Sugar Bowl rather handily, certainly worse than the final score. Alabama would not have won either poll with a victory in that game. The only wild stretch to include the '80s would be the 1979 season title which was official in the early days of 1980.

As a former baseball guy, you can still throw a ball with labrum issues, but not with the velocity that Weeden does. I would say Mayock is wrong and Weeden is fine. His labrum is certainly not torn.

Because of Mayock poor Weeden will end up in a MRI machine.

Alabama has never worried about any of UM's, UF's, or FSU's success. If it wasn't for an Alabama guy to begin with (Howard Schnellenberger) the University of Miami wouldn't even have a football team. An Alabama guy built that program from scratch and saved it. Schnellenberger was Bear's OC at Bama, and learned from the best program builder there's ever been as to how to build a winner from scratch. I'm old enough to remember when Miami was nothing but homecoming fodder for the real blue-bloods of college football. We scheduled Miami for the first ever televised game in the history of Bryant-Denny Stadium... a 30-0 beatdown of the Canes. I believe Bama is somewhere around 14-3 all time vs. Miami. The point is, Miami fans need not ever forget that a Bama coach is why they ever became relevant in the first place.

Same for FSU. Bobby Bowden is an Alabama guy (Birmingham) born and breed. His dream job was always to coach at Alabama. Bobby Bowden grew up an Alabama fan, and still is. Still comes to the games as a matter of fact.

As for the mechanics Rodgers had to be "de-Tedfordized" from, the most basic were in the setup and delivery. The way he held the football way up by his right ear, which was always a Tedford trademark. It was an advantage in Tedford's system, but a hinderance in the NFL. They had to break him of it. There's an article on it around here somewhere that I posted in another thread. I'll find it and insert it here....

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/136856133.html

Alabama has won at least one national championship in every single decade since the 1960's, and have already started off a 6th straight decade with another via the pummeling of LSU a few weeks ago. Alabama football stands on it's own above all else. I probably don't need to speak on it. Even I'm not qualified to put the mecca of college football into proper perspective, and I've been a part of it for almost 50 years.

Big-10 quarterbacks have nothing to do with this either, as the Big-10 has been producing legitimate NFL quarterbacks for over half a century. Along with the Pac-10 and SEC. Hell, your boy Tim Tebow is the worst passer to come out of the SEC in years, yet even he somehow gets it done in the NFL better than any QB the Big-12 has ever produced. I wasn't lumping in Big-12 quarterbacks, or the lackthereof....I was singling it out. Josh Freeman isn't a legitimate franchise quarterback, or even very close to it. I had that argument last year.

I'm by no means suggesting that Josh Freeman is a franchise QB, just a guy from that conference who's done pretty well. I understand that you're singling out Weeden's conference, but that's still a non issue to me. I'm concerned with the talent of the player, period. If anything, I'd rather draft a QB from the Big 12 who's throwing all the time than an SEC run first offense. As to Tebow- while he was burying the other SEC teams he was throwing the ball a hell of a lot better than most of the other SEC QBs who were playing at the time. Jevon Snead wasn't half bad, but there are reasons why Tebow is starting in the NFL and so many other SEC QBs are out of football. I said it from day one- I studied his throwing to Harvin, Riley Cooper, etc. and he was getting it done. I still don't like a lot of his throws that I've seen in the NFL, but that's another story. Suffice it to say that the mechanics, the rhythm of his passes- look like they need more work now than when he was at UF. If you look at a pitcher like Nolan Ryan, a QB like Carson Palmer or Warren Moon- there's a weight transference, a rhythm, a sequence to it that culminates in snapping of a throw- as an imperfect metaphor I would suggest a trebuchet. Similar thing in basketball during a jump shot, generating power starting with the legs, hips, shoulders, elbows, culminating with a subtle wrist movement sending the basketball on say a 3 point arch. The point being, as many positive qualities as I do see in Tebow- good Lord, he's been bad at that in the pros. The awkwardness is striking, more than I saw at UF.

As to Tedford, good point about holding the ball by the ear, I never liked that at all. As to the rest of the argument- seems overblown to me. I never liked that stuff- making a QB hold the ball by his ear, whther or not a QB pats the ball- within reason, just let the guy throw. John Beck is a great study of mismanagement in this regard, imo. And Rodgers- I doubt that it took 3 years to get the kinks out- he had to wait for Favre to wrap it up, he could have been ready to go much sooner.

As your're an SEC guy, curious as to your thoughts on Joe Adams and Tyler Wilson. Adams just jumps off the screen, and Wilson just seems to have it I haven't seen enough to firm up an opinion, but as with Weeden, at least limilar to Weeden, I watch Wilson and it just works for me- he reeks of NFL QB potential when I've seen him play.

mayock just said weeden had a torn labrum as a baseball player and never had surgery...don't shoot the messenger but i don't think torn labrums heal by themselves

His shoulder is a known issue, not sure if it was a torn labrum, but it's the reason he had to give up baseball. He's said that it doesn't effect how he throws a football as opposed to a baseball. His physical at the combine will be extremely important.

His shoulder is a known issue, not sure if it was a torn labrum, but it's the reason he had to give up baseball. He's said that it doesn't effect how he throws a football as opposed to a baseball. His physical at the combine will be extremely important.

No one throws as well as Weeden in this QB class, period. If he's throwing pain free with that velocity and accuracy, more power to him. Elway popped an ACL in high school, never got it fixed, and rolled at Stanford and in the pros. I really hope that Weeden's shoulder issues are factored in big time by other teams, better luck for us in landing him. This guy will be a steal in the 2nd round, and highway robbery if he lasts until the 3rd. He's going to make some team very, very happy for 8-10 years imo.

I've always liked Spence despite his lack of size, but with the understanding that he's a niche player, and won't be a fit for every team. He hits a lot harder than 228 pounds. He's just raw as a turnip like all the talent that comes out of Miami over the past several years. I think he wants to be coached up, and will at the very least make a good special teams player.

Isn't that the truth. Randy Shannon's coaching staff was horrible. He had the talent but couldn't develop anyone. Allen Bailey, Brandon Harris, Sean Spence... they all did it by being more athletic & smart. Technique & coaching was horrible. Now we have Jimmy Graham, Sam Shields, Colin McCarthy, Calais Campbell all excelling with good coaching.

Back
Top Bottom