the official senior bowl week discussion thread... | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

the official senior bowl week discussion thread...

I don't see how anyone can even view Jones as a sky coverage safety. Its unfathomable. He has terrible hips and when he swerves from his backpedal into full stride, its even worse. He wastes way too much time in the process.

He is a GOOD prospect at an in-box SS or SS all together. Very physical and has the attributes to play Strong.

I have two crushes who I will never let go. We all have those. Chad Henne and Chris Clemons. I will never admit they suck until they go on a spree of atrocious play. Henne's play at the beginning of the year encouraged me. I can't let go. I just cant. That arm and poise and ability to stare down the barrel and deliver a strike. He got lighter and was moving around with more finesse. I know he sure as hell had zero blocking and run game at the beginning of the year. Clemons with all that acceleration, speed, and ability to hit like a monster truck won't let me drop him either. If anything he might be a decent SS with that ability. I know he will never be an Ed Reed ballhawk though.

Don't ask why I have these crushes. Robert Horry was mine when he was on the Rockets and I stuck by him when he was traded and thought of as a bust and look how that's treated me. 7 Rings

Honestly, the Chad Henne thing isn't bad cause I still want him to succeed as well. If he had the blocking and Reggie Bush running that came on late in the season (and of course stayed healthy), I think we could've seen him do well. Too late now though, Matt Moore all but booted him off the team most likely. Although he'd be good to keep on the roster.

ehhh...i mean i can see that to some extent given the size and measurables...we're talking about a massive guy...but still when i put him apples to apples off the ball with other edge rushers of similar size like a julius peppers we're talking about a significant difference...i think coples is gonna be more the guy who goes thru you rather than around you but you still got to have high end pass rush tools...which outside of the get off he does...that difference in letting the tackle get into his kick step can and is the difference many times between a pressure and a wash out...and when you can make that tackle have to constantly think about getting beat off the ball thats when many other things open up for you as far as redirecting inside etc...

to me it matters...

To answer your question, I'm not really worried about the first step as much as you are because I like his second and third steps on his edge rush. I think when you really pull out and get a look at it, he's hoofing it pretty deceivingly fast and guys are having a tough time getting back quickly enough to mirror him. The length gives him an advantage. He doesn't have to get his feet and base up the field as far and as quick as Cam Wake does, because of his length. I also believe, based on what I've seen, that guys can improve how they get off the ball.

It just strikes me as something that is destined to be overblown.

Off topic again, but I just wanted to say that us casual posters out there really appreciate the insight of both CK and Slimm - personally speaking they are 2 of the big reasons as to why I keep coming back to this site. However, this whole 'my d1ck's bigger than your d1ck' thing with regards to respective draft hits and misses is getting a bit tiresome now. Do we really have to look forward to this oneupmanship every time a prospect you disagreed on turns out to be a superstar/flop? In short guys, love the banter and really appreciate the insight but could certainly do without the 'I told you so' afterwards. You're both too good for that.

Off topic again, but I just wanted to say that us casual posters out there really appreciate the insight of both CK and Slimm - personally speaking they are 2 of the big reasons as to why I keep coming back to this site. However, this whole 'my d1ck's bigger than your d1ck' thing with regards to respective draft hits and misses is getting a bit tiresome now. Do we really have to look forward to this oneupmanship every time a prospect you disagreed on turns out to be a superstar/flop? In short guys, love the banter and really appreciate the insight but could certainly do without the 'I told you so' afterwards. You're both too good for that.

Completely agree. My point isn't really to rehash hits and misses, everybody has those. It's kinda like losing a fist fight. If you've never lost a fist fight, it's because you've never really been in one to begin with. Fight in enough of 'em and you're gonna lose. Draft prospects are no different.

However, blatant bullsh*t is blatant bullsh*t. I'm not going sit here while somebody tries to shovel a bunch of it on me and call me crazy.

I think a certain level of integrity needs to be kept in place here. It's not, and that's a problem.

If I have to deal with myself I'll deal with it. I don't need anyone's approval.

And he can still have Jeff Demps.....

Simple fact, when I bring up a past opinion, more often than not it's me bringing up my having been wrong about X, Y or Z. I talk about my misses more than my hits. In this case, hoops said something about not buying these people on here that say they loved Aaron Rodgers back in 2005, and since I'm one of those guys that DID love Aaron Rodgers back then, I just had to say no I really did love Rodgers.

It's old man winter over there that decides to open a can of worms because he thinks he's found some sort of incontrovertible proof (which evidently nobody but him buys) that I'm lying. I almost NEVER bring up someone's past opinions to use against them. I could do that like Slimm does, but that's just not my way.

Just for the record. I've never been wrong. So yea. I'm 1-1.

Well, Im no draft expert. All I can do is go by what I have seen in watching football since 1983....and, I think people tend to overlook or overthink things.

I have 0 doubt Weeden will be a franchise Qb barring injury. Call me a Weeden fanboy, etc. I think its clear as day if you take a look at the break down UD did on him last season....trust your eyes. Weeden is a gunslinger in the Marino mold.

I'm going to white knight Slimm a bit here. I can see where he gets the impression that you did not care for Aaron Rodgers, but CK was comparing Rodgers to the prospect of Leinart, one that CK liked a lot, after seeing Aaron Rodgers in his spot duty, and preseason where Aaron was underwhelming to say the least. Unfortunately the posts don't go back enough to see his pre-draft evaluation, so we will really never know. I, for one, trust CK in this situation as he has manned up time and time again when he was wrong about a prospect. CK's original argument was that based on his play at Cal that Aaron was a great prospect worthy of the number 1 overall pick, but after he saw him in action in the NFL, he didn't like him as much. Opinions can change, and I feel like this should just be dropped, and we go back to evaluating prospects.

1. You loved him so much that you didn't think he'd eventually beat out a Matt Leinart in a hypothetical QB battle.

Pretty simple. I loved Matt Leinart. Now, if you find me a post where I say that I didn't love Matt Leinart, then maybe you've got something here.

But this is similar to when you kept claiming that I must not have liked Matt Ryan because I thought it ludicrous to say that he would beat John Beck in a camp battle within 5 minutes. If anyone wins a camp battle in 5 minutes, there wasn't actually a battle. I mean, unless one of them is a quadriplegic or something. If a "camp battle" is won in 5 minutes, whoever is judging already had their mind relatively made up. I argued this to you over and over but for some reason it just doesn't sink in.

2. You had him as the #1 overall prospect, even though it was a weak draft for QB's in the top 5.

That particular draft was widely being regarded as a weak draft PERIOD, all the way around, every position. When I compared the extent to which I liked Rodgers to how I regarded Phil Rivers, that was me saying I like this QB as the top QB in the Draft and probably the #1 overall pick in that draft...because that's what I declared about Phil Rivers after he dominated the Senior Bowl.

3. You understand why the Dolphins didn't draft him at #2 because there were questions about him, but you had him as the #1 prospect.

I'm not even sure how those contradict. I UNDERSTAND why teams would pass on Cam Newton. I UNDERSTAND not liking a guy with a lack of experience, in an odd system, that once was arrested for stealing a laptop. I also would have drafted Cam Newton #1 overall if I were in position to do so,, and made that clear.

4. I'm crazy for attributing his struggles as a rookie to being a Tedford quarterback, where you clearly insinuate that Billy Volek and mega-bust Akili Smith were both Tedford QB's.

...where did I say you were crazy for attributing his skills to his being a Tedford quarterback? You're reading things that aren't there. As usual.

Interesting that on NFLN Davis and Mayock thought that Weeden had good, but not elite arm strength. I hear people hear describing his passes as causing "vapor trails", but I am not hearing the analysts going crazy over his velo.

Popcorn15ScaryMovie-1.gif

Back
Top Bottom