the official senior bowl week discussion thread... | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

the official senior bowl week discussion thread...

I never saw Slimm say Pat White was going to be a good NFL prospect. I remember him saying all he did was win in college, but that he also was a bad QB prospect.

Slimm did miss on Newton, but so did a large amount of people. If anything, if you try to crucify Slimm I would do it for his Reshad Jones backing. Hot damn Jones is a terrible FS. But then again he did say he is out of position, BUT he is atrocious at a deep single high FS.

Slimm isn't wrong that often, rarely actually.

And I thought Rodgers would suck to an unimaginable degree in the NFL. The way he couldn't create a play and how he held the ball annoyed me to no end.

But then again I still have hope in Chad Henne, so there goes my NFL QB evaluation.

you should really give that one up...ha ha...and i still don't think reshad jones is an awful safety...better suited for strong imo but i don't think he's awful...

I'll just say this. I'm very candid and up front about past mistakes. I've talked about mistakes on Brady Quinn, I've talked about mistakes on Ted Ginn and John Beck, etc. Just above if you read up, totally unbidden, I talked about my having bought into the Miami hype machine that QB isn't that important back in 2005 when Aaron Rodgers came out. I admitted that even before Slimm THOUGHT he found something I should be embarrassed about. I had no reason to admit it, if I was interested in lying or contradicting myself I could have implied that I was jumping up and down spitting mad when the Dolphins picked Ronnie Brown instead of Aaron Rodgers. But the Dolphins had made it clear long before then that they weren't likely to take Rodgers, and I bought it. I bought that the position wasn't that important and I bought that it was OK for Miami not to take him even though I ADORED Aaron Rodgers.

But some people around here don't like to talk about their own past mistakes, they do a good job trying to gloss over them.

That's fine. It's a difference in philosophy. People that are "never" wrong, are without fail, full of sh-t. I'm in a business where we run into that a lot. You run into analysts that try and position themselves so that they were never really "wrong"...just "early" or something to that effect. Or they were wrong for all the right reasons, or "nobody could've predicted" this or that. In stock analysis, you run into all of that.

I would rather people know that I've been wrong, and that's why I've always been very up front with it. To me, the smart people will know that means I'm NOT full of sh-t. That's just my way of doing things.

Speaking of which, take a look at XCO. Bounced off of solid support at around 7.70 a few days ago, ran 10% or so a couple of days ago and had a very nice pullback today before running again. There's some pretty serious insider buying going on, it's ready to pop out of a cup and handle, and it's in the seriously oversold nat gas sector.

You might want to read it again.....

"I don't see any other QB in this league whose presence should disqualify a look at Matt Leinart". ---- Contradiction.

"The Dolphins didn't draft Rodgers and I understand why, there were questions about him. This was a weak draft to be drafting a QB in the top 5. Neither he nor Smith were any Roethlisberger or Manning. That much is clear now that the hype and hoopla of the draft have faded". ---- Does this sound like the same person that had Aaron Rodgers as the #1 pick in the draft to you. This is same guy who'll now bash the hell out of Nick Saban for not drafting Rodgers.

"Rodgers could compete with Leinart. I would expect Leinart to win, at least eventually. And if they both suck, then guess what you drafted poorly not once but twice so the joke is on you"..... etc.... ---- Same guy who knew Aaron Rodgers was going to be an elite quarterback.

"Wasn't Billy Volek a Tedford QB too? Don't forget Akili Smith". ---- Same guy who suddenly thinks I'm "crazy" for the Teford connection, and thinking that his problems as a rookie were strictly due to just being a rookie.

It might be hard for most of you to be able to sift through all this bullsh*t and spinning, but not me. Reading comprehension is most definitely key.

You're pretty much jusy seeing what you want to see. Others aren't seeing it. I don't see it. All I see is me being very high on Matt Leinart.

Speaking of which, take a look at XCO. Bounced off of solid support at around 7.70 a few days ago, ran 10% or so a couple of days ago and had a very nice pullback today before running again. There's some pretty serious insider buying going on, it's ready to pop out of a cup and handle, and it's in the seriously oversold nat gas sector.

Trust me when I say that I'm not about to start talking about stocks on message boards and giving out research. They barely tolerate my football obsession.

LOL, I see you don't really like being called out on some of your bullsh-t.

Go ahead on your old man's tirade. It doesn't seem like many other people are buying that you've found any contradictions in what I'm saying about Rodgers.

You haven't called out any of my "bullsh*t" yet. The bullsh*t part is it's things you've made up in your head. Show us all where this material is. I'm 100% certain I can show what I said and where I said it.

I never saw Slimm say Pat White was going to be a good NFL prospect. I remember him saying all he did was win in college, but that he also was a bad QB prospect.

Slimm did miss on Newton, but so did a large amount of people. If anything, if you try to crucify Slimm I would do it for his Reshad Jones backing. Hot damn Jones is a terrible FS. But then again he did say he is out of position, BUT he is atrocious at a deep single high FS.

Slimm isn't wrong that often, rarely actually.

And I thought Rodgers would suck to an unimaginable degree in the NFL. The way he couldn't create a play and how he held the ball annoyed me to no end.

But then again I still have hope in Chad Henne, so there goes my NFL QB evaluation.

My backing of Reshad Jones was always based on the fact that he was playing out of position. I tried to tell CK and Magoo from the start that he didn't need to be playing FS, or being the high safety in any single high or "sky" coverage looks. They always disagreed and insisted that Jones was a FS instead of a SS.

Once Bowles took over and started having Jones rotate down more and be more a flat defender, the blown coverages stopped and Jones played much better.

Furthermore, I never said Jones was going to be anything special. My point was that he was the only safety on Miami's roster who had a CHANCE to be, and Miami needed to play him (in the right position) to find out. I know damn well it ain't ever going to be Chris Clemons.

Trust me when I say that I'm not about to start talking about stocks on message boards and giving out research. They barely tolerate my football obsession.

Giving out research? Hardly the point. As to people on this board and tolerances, some people take this s*** way to seriously. This is a collection of amateurs spouting opinions, myself obviously included- not that I don't really enjoy it sometimes, but that's all that is is. All of us have opinions, and the cliche is fairly accurate as to what those are remembrances of.

so ck you're not buying that coples being relatively average off the ball matters??? i understand that he can do so many other things really well but you don't think an explosive initial get off or at least a pretty darn good one matters...

i don't get that...

so ck you're not buying that coples being relatively average off the ball matters??? i understand that he can do so many other things really well but you don't think an explosive initial get off or at least a pretty darn good one matters...

i don't get that...

I cant speak for CK..but i read it as that Coples is getting an explosive get off...it just doesnt look as explosive due to his enormous size and length.

I cant speak for CK..but i read it as that Coples is getting an explosive get off...it just doesnt look as explosive due to his enormous size and length.

ehhh...i mean i can see that to some extent given the size and measurables...we're talking about a massive guy...but still when i put him apples to apples off the ball with other edge rushers of similar size like a julius peppers we're talking about a significant difference...i think coples is gonna be more the guy who goes thru you rather than around you but you still got to have high end pass rush tools...which outside of the get off he does...that difference in letting the tackle get into his kick step can and is the difference many times between a pressure and a wash out...and when you can make that tackle have to constantly think about getting beat off the ball thats when many other things open up for you as far as redirecting inside etc...

to me it matters...

The Courtney Upshaw vs. Quinton Coples vs. Melvin Ingram vs. Cam Johnson battle soon. I'm liking Upshaw most right now.

tumblr_ly1d8krj0O1qzvd9r-1.gif

ehhh...i mean i can see that to some extent given the size and measurables...we're talking about a massive guy...but still when i put him apples to apples off the ball with other edge rushers of similar size like a julius peppers we're talking about a significant difference...i think coples is gonna be more the guy who goes thru you rather than around you but you still got to have high end pass rush tools...which outside of the get off he does...that difference in letting the tackle get into his kick step can and is the difference many times between a pressure and a wash out...and when you can make that tackle have to constantly think about getting beat off the ball thats when many other things open up for you as far as redirecting inside etc...

to me it matters...

I gotcha. I honestly havent seen enough of Coples to say one way or the other. That was just how I interpreted CK. I do think first step explosion is really important...but I dont see any JPPs in this draft.

I gotcha. I honestly havent seen enough of Coples to say one way or the other. That was just how I interpreted CK. I do think first step explosion is really important...but I dont see any JPPs in this draft.

its the first thing i look for in edge pass rushers...how they get off the ball...

My backing of Reshad Jones was always based on the fact that he was playing out of position. I tried to tell CK and Magoo from the start that he didn't need to be playing FS, or being the high safety in any single high or "sky" coverage looks. They always disagreed and insisted that Jones was a FS instead of a SS.

Once Bowles took over and started having Jones rotate down more and be more a flat defender, the blown coverages stopped and Jones played much better.

Furthermore, I never said Jones was going to be anything special. My point was that he was the only safety on Miami's roster who had a CHANCE to be, and Miami needed to play him (in the right position) to find out. I know damn well it ain't ever going to be Chris Clemons.

I don't see how anyone can even view Jones as a sky coverage safety. Its unfathomable. He has terrible hips and when he swerves from his backpedal into full stride, its even worse. He wastes way too much time in the process.

He is a GOOD prospect at an in-box SS or SS all together. Very physical and has the attributes to play Strong.

I have two crushes who I will never let go. We all have those. Chad Henne and Chris Clemons. I will never admit they suck until they go on a spree of atrocious play. Henne's play at the beginning of the year encouraged me. I can't let go. I just cant. That arm and poise and ability to stare down the barrel and deliver a strike. He got lighter and was moving around with more finesse. I know he sure as hell had zero blocking and run game at the beginning of the year. Clemons with all that acceleration, speed, and ability to hit like a monster truck won't let me drop him either. If anything he might be a decent SS with that ability. I know he will never be an Ed Reed ballhawk though.

Don't ask why I have these crushes. Robert Horry was mine when he was on the Rockets and I stuck by him when he was traded and thought of as a bust and look how that's treated me. 7 Rings

Back
Top Bottom