The Official Toronto Blue Jays thread | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official Toronto Blue Jays thread

The Jays would be crazy to trade for Willis or Zito. Especially considering the monster prospects they'll command and the bidding war that'll ensue.

Also, that would ultimately put A.J Burnett in the number 3 spot. If they gave him all that money, it's for him to be the number 2 behind Roy Halladay. Unless they're expecting to rent Zito or Willis for the rest of the year, which has never been their mantra, I just don't see it. As much as Rogers has reached in his backpocket and spent this offseason, you can't have your first 3 starting pitchers earning 10M each.

If the Jays want to compete for a playoff spot, they need to upgrade that bullpen. Justin Speier's got nice numbers but he scares me every time he takes the hill and Gibbons has had to reach for Ryan way too much in the 8th for my liking. The middle relief is also pretty iffy. Problem is there's nothing out there, Ricciardi said it a couple days ago, he's looking at the board in his office and can't find any middle relief pitchers available. Everyone's looking for one.

If the Jays traded for Willis then he wouldn't be a free agent after the year like Zito would. I believe Willis would be under the Jays' control until 2008.

Ray Finkle said:
AL teams better fear the Jays if they don't already. Because they're going to be in the race for both the wild card and the division. Ryan has been great as closer, you can't say enough about how good Halladay is and the line up has been great too. Wells, Rios, Glaus, Hillenbrand and the platoon of Johnson and Catalanado have been very good all year.

i'm just surprised how well they have done despite all the adversity they have faced this year - with burnett, chacin, halladay battling injuries all year and a 4th guy in the rotation, josh towers, being sent down the minors - 2 rookies called up filling in as starting pitchers - a middle relief pitcher getting a start tomorrow - our starting s.s. demoted and flip-flopped postions with our 2nd baseman - this team hasn't even put it all together yet but are only 2 games out of first - getting a healthy burnett back soon is a much needed bonus for the jays right now

d-day, it looks like you're a huge Blue Jays fan which is great to see. I was just wondering if you're originally from the Toronto area or from Canada? Either way it's great to see you passionately support and represent the Blue Jays here. Go Jays

The Jays are 1 game out like D-day mentioned in another thread! Also, I got to see the only Towers win this year when I was in Florida a month ago when they faced the Devil Rays. I will say I really like the Devil Rays stadium!

Now back on topic!
- Jays are really getting there bats going
- They have depth
- Chacin and AJ are coming back soon
- AJ just pitched a great games in the minors for his rehab
- We are creeping up on the division leader
- BJ Ryan is proving he is the real deal and our whole team is pretty young and talented

This is going to be the beginning of something and I hope we get into the playoffs this year!

Lilly (6-7) struck out eight over six scoreless innings and Shea Hillenbrand drove home the winning run with a two-out, two-run single in the sixth inning as the Toronto Blue Jays beat the Baltimore Orioles 4-2 on Thursday. BJ Ryan picked up his 17th save. With Boston and NY losing tonight - Jays tied for 2nd 1 game back... :yes:

t.o.dolphin said:
d-day, it looks like you're a huge Blue Jays fan which is great to see. I was just wondering if you're originally from the Toronto area or from Canada? Either way it's great to see you passionately support and represent the Blue Jays here. Go Jays

you get out to many games t.o.?

Finally some good A.J. Burnett news: A.J. Burnett pitched a shutout in his second start since returning from the disabled list, leading the Toronto Blue Jays over the Washington Nationals 6-0 Tuesday night. Burnett (1-1) allowed six hits, struck out seven and didn't walk a batter in just his fourth start of the season. He dominated Washington, pitching his first shutout of the season and the ninth of his career. He retired 17 of the last 18 batters he faced and only needed 92 pitches to finish the game. Burnett threw 70 of his 92 pitches for strikes.

Also, Toronto outrighted RHP Josh Towers to Triple-A Syracuse for a second time. Towers, 1-9 with a 9.11 ERA, was first sent to Syracuse on May 24, after opening the season 1-8 in 10 starts. "We're in a spot now where we need to win some more ballgames and hang in this thing and it just wasn't happening for him," manager John Gibbons said.
Burnett threw 70 of his 92 pitches for strikes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260627114

also, as a group, the Jays pen is 13-3, the 13 wins tied for the most in the American League with Boston while the three losses are the fewest of any bullpen in the AL.

Manager John Gibbons yesterday became the first official member of the Blue Jays to be selected for the all-star game -- July 11 in Pittsburgh -- when he was picked by Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen to be one of the American League coaches along with Cleveland manager Eric Wedge.
"I consider it an honour," Gibbons said yesterday. "Ozzie called me a few weeks ago and asked me if I'd be interested. It was a nice gesture by him.
"I'd love to go to the all-star game as the manager (by winning the American League), but it was nice of Ozzie to ask me. I don't know him real well but I told him how much I appreciated it and I'm looking forward to it.

Unreal: Blue Jays right fielder Alex Rios was admitted to Mount Sinai Hospital yesterday to tend to an infection that developed two days after he fouled a ball off the inside of his lower left leg. The area got infected and just swelled up overnight," Gibbons said of his right fielder, who is hitting .330 with 15 home runs and 53 RBIs. "We just hope that it isn't anything worse than that." As for placing Rios on the disabled list, Gibbons said it was "far too early."
Taking his spot in right last night was Reed Johnson, who entered the game hitting .377. Reed had platooning with Frank Catalanatto

Also, Jays right-hander Ty Taubenheim will start tomorrow against the Phillies. For the time being, it probably will be his sixth and final start.
"Even if he does pitch well," Gibbons said, "there's a good chance we'll bring somebody up," to start next Thursday in Kansas City. "It will probably be (Dustin) McGowan."
In nine appearances, including five starts, Taubenheim is 1-4 with a 4.73 ERA. When and if McGowan gets called up, Taubenheim will be moved to the bullpen.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/MLB/Toronto/2006/06/30/1661597-sun.html

Halladay first to win 12 as Jays overpower Royals

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Roy Halladay became the majors' first 12-game winner, Aaron Hill had four hits for the second consecutive game and the Toronto Blue Jays beat the Kansas City Royals 11-3 on Sunday.

Troy Glaus, Eric Hinske and Bengie Molina homered for the Blue Jays, who finished with 16 hits. John McDonald went 3-for-4 and scored two runs.
Halladay (12-2), who has won 11 of his past 12 starts since an April 9 loss, held the Royals to one run and four hits in seven innings. The All-Star right-hander struck out six, walked one and lowered his ERA to 2.92. He allowed just one run and 10 hits in 14 2/3 innings in wins over Texas and Kansas City in his final two starts before the All-Star break.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260709107

personally i thought taking roy out after 93 pitches was a little premature tonight up 4-3 in the 8th - he battled all night, game was in t.o. - let the ace finish... still, great win by the jays tonight - and please, i won't hold it against anyboby for coming in here and reaping the praise of vernon wells - the guys a stud and the absolute real deal... :wink:

Halladay had 5 saves blown for him so far this year :shakeno:

he didn't have his best stuff but he had enough until Ryan gave it away. But they came away with the win anyway, good game Jays.

Hey d-day........I'll trade you Adam(who I really like) for Jay:evil:(EDIT:Shea:happydrin:lol:).........what the hell happen between Hillenbrand and Gibbons?

Back
Top Bottom