The Pach's TOP 110 | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Pach's TOP 110

He has a chance to get a lot better as well.

Still raw and inexperienced.

It was a surprise to go CB there but I am the Champion of BPA so no complaints here.

Yes, it was a surprise. I wasn't thinking cornerback at all. That's what surprised me, far more than the identity of that cornerback.

Overall it was an awesome night. I was strangely relaxed prior to pick #5. It reminded me of all those decades ago when the Dolphins were controlling Super Bowl VII against the Redskins, despite scoreless early in the second quarter. I was thinking...this is going to work itself out. Last night I had the same clarity. This just makes no much sense. Disregard the noise and the fear. We're going to honor the big picture and take Tua. Then after it happened I was thinking...okay, the beginning the my lifespan the Dolphins were great. The middle of my lifespan they were meaningless. Maybe toward the end they will be great again.

The #18 pick is where I was nervous. I did not want Josh Jones. I didn't care about that player from a scouting standpoint. I believe in generalities far beyond specifics. That is basically my number one theory in all of life, that properly identified wide scope generalities will overwhelm all the fixation on specifics, which simply carry too much attention span and an unsustainable burden. Drafting an older late bloomer at #18 from a non-Power 5 program who was not an elite recruit and who is not a great athlete, that would be an example of flunking the generality approach. In my mind it would have partially negated the Tua pick, as partially a fluke in a regime that still didn't have any idea what it was doing. But once Miami took Austin Jackson it was a huge sigh of relief, and greater confidence level. Young terrific athlete from an elite program. Jackson had offers from Alabama and Auburn and all the rest.

I think the Saints screwed us up at #26. I wasn't worried about them taking Ruiz at all, after McCoy last year. Stunner. This is the second time the Saints stole the offensive lineman I wanted, after the Armstead example of years ago. Once Ruiz was gone I was hoping the Dolphins would make the bold move for Jordan Love. There is no question that would have been the proper decision. It would have been double barreled thievery at the quarterback position. Instead they took the dullard conventional wisdom route of thinking they needed another pick between 70 and 141. Disgusting. There is no chance that a cornerback and a 4th round pick carried more value than a second swing at an elite quarterback prospect. Kudos to the Packers for making that enlightened move.

Once Love was gone I was thinking Winfield or Edwards-Halaire. Maybe the Temple center although it seemed a bit high.

BTW, I think the Chiefs made a surreal pick in Edwards-Helaire. He is made to order for that offense and to terrorize the league going forward. He'll add toughness and swagger along with versatility. Biggie Westbrook. That is exactly what a franchise like that is supposed to do, prioritize unabashed maximum point scoring instead of stupid stale plodder mode to patch the defense here and there.

BTW, I think the Chiefs made a surreal pick in Edwards-Helaire. He is made to order for that offense and to terrorize the league going forward. He'll add toughness and swagger along with versatility. Biggie Westbrook. That is exactly what a franchise like that is supposed to do, prioritize unabashed maximum point scoring instead of stupid stale plodder mode to patch the defense here and there.

One of my favorite picks of the night. I absolutely love the fit. Saw this on Twitter from NFL Network's James Palmer:
Brett Veach told Andy Reid to watch some Clyde Edwards-Helaire film and told Reid you’ll see Brian Westbrook. Reid watched. Then got back to Veach and said he’s better than Westbrook.

Veach / Reid was the combination so high on Mahomes in that building.

i don’t see Robert Hunt in your top 110 and we just took him at 39
i wanted to blow up my tv

Some of it appears to be mistakes, He has Zach Baun on this list but he is ranked number 13 in his Senior Linebacker rankings..
Its not a perfect draft I would have traded alot of our later picks up, Offered up Rosen in Trade, Even maybe traded an early pick next year to move up.

I'm a little surprised Pach here was as negative as he has been on this draft considering we did the most important thing.. Drafting Tua

Some of it appears to be mistakes, He has Zach Baun on this list but he is ranked number 13 in his Senior Linebacker rankings..
Its not a perfect draft I would have traded alot of our later picks up, Offered up Rosen in Trade, Even maybe traded an early pick next year to move up.

I'm a little surprised Pach here was as negative as he has been on this draft considering we did the most important thing.. Drafting Tua

That linebacker thread hasn’t been updated since November. It has nothing to do with this thread.

If you read my composite offensive line thread below (not the one stickied at the top) I was asked about Hunt recently. I had a 4th round grade on him. He’s a physical player that kicks ass in the running game - but has some developing to do in pass protection.

I wouldn’t over critic that pick. It was a reach by my rankings if you’re looking at him purely as a right tackle. But he can be a little higher if you’re looking at him as a guard.

He’s a versatile lineman that has experience playing guard. He will find a home somewhere in Miami’s line and kick ass in the run game. However, he will need time for his pass pro to catch up.

As long as they’re picking offensive lineman to put in front of Tua you can’t be mad at it. Hunt can play. He could’ve started on any offensive line in the SEC in my opinion.

If you read my composite offensive line thread below (not the one stickied at the top) I was asked about Hunt recently. I had a 4th round grade on him. He’s a physical player that kicks *** in the running game - but has some developing to do in pass protection.

I wouldn’t over critic that pick. It was a reach by my rankings if you’re looking at him purely as a right tackle. But he can be a little higher if you’re looking at him as a guard.

He’s a versatile lineman that has experience playing guard. He will find a home somewhere in Miami’s line and kick *** in the run game. However, he will need time for his pass pro to catch up.

As long as they’re picking offensive lineman to put in front of Tua you can’t be mad at it. Hunt can play. He could’ve started on any offensive line in the SEC in my opinion.
Yeah but would you have taken him at pick 39?

I think the Saints screwed us up at #26. I wasn't worried about them taking Ruiz at all, after McCoy last year. Stunner. This is the second time the Saints stole the offensive lineman I wanted,

Yep.

I believe the draft was unfolding about as well as Grier/Flores could realistically hope and they were confident Ruiz would be there so they gambled by staying put.

I mean, who could blame them? The Saints drafted an all-pro center the year before and SF was clearly in on a WR after bypassing one at 13/14.

Like you I was stunned. Didn’t see that one coming. I actually thought NO might be in on Jordan Love. Made more sense to me.

Same thing applied to BAL swooping Dobbins one pick before MIA. Once they were on the clock, I thought it was in the bag, as they had so many other deeper needs. But, alas, you just never know what these teams are thinking.

I’m a fan of our draft so far. I think it’s quite solid. I have no issues with any of the players they’ve selected.

That said, I am disappointed that Grier/Flores seem to value the NINE remaining 4th - 7th round picks more than securing a couple players they were reported interested in at 26 and 56.

I just don’t see the logic of not spending a 4th or a couple 5th‘s to ensure they landed those targets.

On a separate topic, I was quite intrigued when CeeDee Lamb nearly fell to 18. Of course DAL did take him at 17, but had he actually been available to MIA — do any of you think they might have altered course and taken him over Jackson?

I’d like to believe they would have, considering the value, but perhaps they might have taken one of the trade down offers DAL received.

Things would have got really interesting had that scenario happened.

Yep.

I believe the draft was unfolding about as well as Grier/Flores could realistically hope and they were confident Ruiz would be there so they gambled by staying put.

I mean, who could blame them? The Saints drafted an all-pro center the year before and SF was clearly in on a WR after bypassing one at 13/14.

Like you I was stunned. Didn’t see that one coming. I actually thought NO might be in on Jordan Love. Made more sense to me.

Same thing applied to BAL swooping Dobbins one pick before MIA. Once they were on the clock, I thought it was in the bag, as they had so many other deeper needs. But, alas, you just never know what these teams are thinking.

I’m a fan of our draft so far. I think it’s quite solid. I have no issues with any of the players they’ve selected.

That said, I am disappointed that Grier/Flores seem to value the NINE remaining 4th - 7th round picks more than securing a couple players they were reported interested in at 26 and 56.

I just don’t see the logic of not spending a 4th or a couple 5th‘s to ensure they landed those targets.

On a separate topic, I was quite intrigued when CeeDee Lamb nearly fell to 18. Of course DAL did take him at 17, but had he actually been available to MIA — do any of you think they might have altered course and taken him over Jackson?

I’d like to believe they would have, considering the value, but perhaps they might have taken one of the trade down offers DAL received.

Things would have got really interesting had that scenario happened.

I had the same feeling about Dobbins, that our guy might have been swiped away again, just like Ruiz.

After he was taken away I wasn't surprised or unhappy about Robert Hunt. There is a Rams fan on another draft site who is very, very sharp. I've noticed for years that in particular he has a great feel for who will go early on day two. Today he listed Tee Higgins as the player he loved among the ones still available. Then he listed only a handful of others. Robert Hunt was among them. I replied that as a Dolphins fan I hoped they would choose among his list.

As always, I like systems.

Regarding the first round receivers I would have been very tempted to trade up for Jeudy once he slipped to mid teens. I think I mentioned that a month or two ago, that an ideal scenario would be nabbing Tua without forced to trade up, and then Jeudy slipping far enough that we didn't have to spend a ton to go up and grab him.

But once the draft reached Denver I knew darn well Jeudy wouldn't get past that spot.

I frankly had forgotten about Raekwon Davis leading up to this draft. That's normally the type of pick I like, a formerly high rated player whose reputation had slipped but without injury. But when it the decline is two years in a row as opposed to one, and without apparent excuse, then I start to wonder a little bit. I had been hoping for Davon Hamilton who is kind of the opposite of Davis...not as talented but a reliable motor.

If Davis is trying he'll often make Christian Wilkins look bad in comparison. Overall I vastly prefer this type of choice to all the stupid no-upside picks that Shula used to make.

Yes, we should have used later picks to trade up and secure. Notice how many times the Patriots and Saints did that tonight.

BTW, light years the highlight of Day Two was Jake Fromm absolutely engulfed by that brown chair. I couldn't stop laughing. I freeze framed for several minutes at a time every time they cut to that shot.

Was this a middle school draft? That was all I could think about. Fromm was dwarfed by everyone in the room, including the woman sitting next to him. Was that his mom?

No shoulders whatsoever. And who told him to wrap his arms around his torso. That merely added to the insignificance. Jake Fromm should have had arms extended while standing in a room loaded with nothing but gnomes and baby furniture.

I had the same feeling about Dobbins, that our guy might have been swiped away again, just like Ruiz.

Not that it’s gospel but the Herald reported that’s exactly what happened.

As a fan, I admit I was in on Dobbins and neutral on Ruiz — but my frustration doesn’t stem from not selecting the players I wanted but rather the ones they seemingly wanted but were too committed to holding on to those cheaper assets.

I championed and totally understood not wanting to trade the capital needed to move up from 5 to 3. But refusing to let go of 4th and 5th round picks to move up in the 2nd or 3rd???

It only cost GB a 4th to move from 30 to 26, so logically it should have been cheaper to move up a couple spots for a player in the 2nd and 3rd round. Moving up for Ruiz might have cost a 3rd.

IMO they should have done that for Ruiz and Dobbins.

Back
Top Bottom