The Pach's TOP 110 | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Pach's TOP 110

Yes, it was a surprise. I wasn't thinking cornerback at all. That's what surprised me, far more than the identity of that cornerback.

Overall it was an awesome night. I was strangely relaxed prior to pick #5. It reminded me of all those decades ago when the Dolphins were controlling Super Bowl VII against the Redskins, despite scoreless early in the second quarter. I was thinking...this is going to work itself out. Last night I had the same clarity. This just makes no much sense. Disregard the noise and the fear. We're going to honor the big picture and take Tua. Then after it happened I was thinking...okay, the beginning the my lifespan the Dolphins were great. The middle of my lifespan they were meaningless. Maybe toward the end they will be great again.

The #18 pick is where I was nervous. I did not want Josh Jones. I didn't care about that player from a scouting standpoint. I believe in generalities far beyond specifics. That is basically my number one theory in all of life, that properly identified wide scope generalities will overwhelm all the fixation on specifics, which simply carry too much attention span and an unsustainable burden. Drafting an older late bloomer at #18 from a non-Power 5 program who was not an elite recruit and who is not a great athlete, that would be an example of flunking the generality approach. In my mind it would have partially negated the Tua pick, as partially a fluke in a regime that still didn't have any idea what it was doing. But once Miami took Austin Jackson it was a huge sigh of relief, and greater confidence level. Young terrific athlete from an elite program. Jackson had offers from Alabama and Auburn and all the rest.

I think the Saints screwed us up at #26. I wasn't worried about them taking Ruiz at all, after McCoy last year. Stunner. This is the second time the Saints stole the offensive lineman I wanted, after the Armstead example of years ago. Once Ruiz was gone I was hoping the Dolphins would make the bold move for Jordan Love. There is no question that would have been the proper decision. It would have been double barreled thievery at the quarterback position. Instead they took the dullard conventional wisdom route of thinking they needed another pick between 70 and 141. Disgusting. There is no chance that a cornerback and a 4th round pick carried more value than a second swing at an elite quarterback prospect. Kudos to the Packers for making that enlightened move.

Once Love was gone I was thinking Winfield or Edwards-Halaire. Maybe the Temple center although it seemed a bit high.

BTW, I think the Chiefs made a surreal pick in Edwards-Helaire. He is made to order for that offense and to terrorize the league going forward. He'll add toughness and swagger along with versatility. Biggie Westbrook. That is exactly what a franchise like that is supposed to do, prioritize unabashed maximum point scoring instead of stupid stale plodder mode to patch the defense here and there.
I agree with your Ruiz analysis. Pretty thoughtful stuff.
Taking Love Rd1 idk if you can allocate assets like that. Have to build your team around your QB1.
That being said they did acquire a Day 1 starting CB and additional pick. I can live with that_ but Day 2 another story.

Really love what the Vikings have managed to pull off

Justin Jefferson, Jeff Gladney, Ezra Cleveland, Cam Dantzler

Love all four picks. I want it :(

I was feeling Dobbins, too, but it's not a big deal. I heard somewhere that RBs aren't worth a second contract, when their rookie deal expires, you just draft another one. And many middle-rounders seem to pan out.

Speaking of middle and late rounders, I don't mind hanging on to them. Sure, many will fail, but which ones? The more tickets you buy, the greater the chance of winning the lotto.

Has Adeniniji been drafted yet? Delpit went over a hundred picks ago.

Not that it’s gospel but the Herald reported that’s exactly what happened.

As a fan, I admit I was in on Dobbins and neutral on Ruiz — but my frustration doesn’t stem from not selecting the players I wanted but rather the ones they seemingly wanted but were too committed to holding on to those cheaper assets.

I championed and totally understood not wanting to trade the capital needed to move up from 5 to 3. But refusing to let go of 4th and 5th round picks to move up in the 2nd or 3rd???

It only cost GB a 4th to move from 30 to 26, so logically it should have been cheaper to move up a couple spots for a player in the 2nd and 3rd round. Moving up for Ruiz might have cost a 3rd.

IMO they should have done that for Ruiz and Dobbins.

We owned the most ammo in this draft and didn't use it the way other teams usually do - Baltimore and NE in particular.

If you had Ruiz that high, see what it would cost to get him. If you had Dobbins that high in R2, what is that really going to cost you to move a few spots there? We got a 4th from GB in R1.....so a 5th/6th? If you loved Hunt but had him more of a 50-70 type guy, take a higher rated guy who won't be there then trade up from 56.

It's one thing to be patient at 5 because Tua has risk and so many were spooked....plus this draft was loaded at the top. But in R2-R4, get the top guys with the best value.

Breida is a really nice player but only has 1 year left on his deal and has been dinged up. I thought this draft was building for the future, an offense around Tua. I really though a high level RB and/or WR was going to happen.

Really love what the Vikings have managed to pull off

Justin Jefferson, Jeff Gladney, Ezra Cleveland, Cam Dantzler

Love all four picks. I want it :(

Eh, I’m not overly impressed by those players.

Jefferson is a nice player, but I’d much rather MIA be in on Ja’Marr Chase in 2021. Better WR.

I’m jumping in on the Ja’Marr Chase and Najee Harris 2021 bandwagon early.

Seemed like the Dolphins learned their lesson one day too late, in terms of trading up to get guys they coveted. Ruiz and Dobbins stood out as likely targets where we got burned by staying put.

Regardless, lots of intriguing picks. I appreciated that we got Curtis Weaver, partially because it went directly against the trend of other picks who are ideal athletes but not quite ready. Weaver always makes plays but it's impossible not to watch him and be amused at such a strange frame. He always reminds me of an AFL player. When I was a kid the AFL had lots of guys like that...talented players who didn't fit the ideal mold and therefore weren't coveted by the NFL. Actually Weaver looks somewhat like Wahoo McDaniel, who was an early Dolphin defender with a square and somewhat soft wrestling build. Then Wahoo obviously went on to fame and stardom as a wrestler.

More than anything I was absolutely thrilled when we took Malcolm Perry. In fact, I'd have to say that is my favorite late Dolphins pick in decades. Malcolm Perry was the most elusive player in this draft. I would say it was non competitive in that regard. Months ago here I compared him to Christian McCaffrey along those lines, albeit a shorter smaller version and not as fast. I think it was a thread regarding sleeper guys we wanted. Malcolm Perry can make anybody look stupid in the open field. And multiple times on the same play. As Mel Kiper said after the pick, Perry's best role is 3rd down back. But don't limit it to 3rd down. Give Perry jersey #22 and allow him to frustrate defenses by moving him all around. He'd be absolutely lethal on touch passes from Tua.

I know who the Dolphins were coveting in the 1st round and why they slapped the table, so to speak. And it wasn't Cesar Ruiz. You'll probably not even be able to guess it. Surprised me, but it was straight out of the horse's mouth so it's not information I doubt. The Jordan Love trade, as far as I know, wasn't in reaction to anything. It was a thing they wanted to do for a specific reason or set of reasons.

I don't have information on whether they really were upset when J.K. Dobbins went. I do know that Raekwon Davis has always been on radar. Something certainly didn't go their way with respect to the running backs, because yes the phone calls about Leonard Fournette, Todd Gurley, and Matt Breida was indeed a pivot. But if Dobbins was really a big time target I have a tough time believing they grab Robert Hunt at #39. I think in all likelihood, things had already gone sideways at the RB position when the Dolphins made that #39 pick. And I have a pretty good feeling based on information who, and how. The Chiefs are good drafters. And they know how to keep their cards close to the vest.

I enjoyed the Malcolm Perry pick as well. An unexpected but pleasant surprise at a point when I thought frankly they'd essentially given up on the rest of the draft. They had just taken a long snapper. If that isn't a sign that you're closing up shop, I don't know what is. But they chose that last pick as an opportunity to stick a finger in Bill Belichick's eye.

The buzz is Curtis Weaver had some sort of sickness in the off season that caused him to put on a bunch of bad weight. Certainly you pop on a 2018 game of his like the BYU game and you see a player that is both leaner and livelier. So I'm rooting for the kid, hoping he had some unfortunate circumstances. His eyes and his redirect are his biggest weapons. His redirect is why he ran such good agility drills at the Combine. Pretty strong upper body, too.

Brian Flores referred to him as a pass rusher, and openly wondered if it would translate. That's correct. That's what Weaver is. I would liken him a little bit to a player Flores coached in New England just before he left for Miami, Keionta Davis out of UT-Chattanooga. I wonder if that's who Flores sees, and if that's the sort of role he feels like he could carve out for Weaver in this defense, if Weaver does well enough for it. I'm not saying that's all Curtis Weaver will ever be, but I think it's a pretty good analog.

I think Raekwon Davis is a brilliant selection for this defense. He's the big swinging dick, the 500 lbs gorilla, that will command the doubles and free guys like Christian Wilkins, Shaq Lawson, Emmanuel Ogbah, and Kyle Van Noy up to go stunting around and/or beating single blocks. When linemen go on the attack against Davis, he has as much ability to stay rooted as anyone I've seen. When he goes on the attack, he's either got four or six eyes on him at all times, or he's dishing out bruises, making the QB uncomfortable in a collapsing pocket, and keeping him on an egg timer. My favorite is when Bama would occasionally bring Davis out to end and have him get downhill against a tackle in single blocking. It looked like trying to keep an avalanche in place. He gets off blocks. He can dominate passing lanes with his length and ability to get push to the inside. And what surprises is his speed when he has to get lateral and keep the ball carrier from turning the corner.

I think Robert Hunt was the best guard prospect in the draft. He might be given the opportunity to prove that right tackle isn't his future, but I also feel that when push comes to shove, they'd rather put their trust in the veteran Jesse Davis at that spot by the time Week 1 rolls around (whenever it rolls around). And once that happens, and you stick Hunt at right guard for the season, his performance there will probably keep you from deciding to move him back out, and thus we'll be looking for some right tackles next off season.

Brandon Jones was the highest recruited safety prospect in the country back in 2016. To me there are two types to claim that sort of honor: the physically dynamic ones like Derwin James, or guys who are just Mr. Football doing everything super well. Jones is the latter. Certainly by the time you got to 2019, he could do pretty much everything they asked him to do on the field pretty well. He has good (not great) speed, could close on the ball and jar it loose to prevent the catch. He was disciplined, very smart, aggressive. He's always running at full speed out there. His angles were good. His strength is good, ability to play down hill from the box or on the line of scrimmage, be physical and get off blocks, blitz the quarterback, etc. He's even a good punt returner, which I think speaks to his overarching ability to do just about anything on a football field well.

But in the end he's 5'11" and 198 lbs with short arms, and that pops up a lot when you see him having to work twice as hard as some others to break up a deep ball, or make a challenging open field tackle. I think he's missed 29 tackles the last two years, something like that. You see some arm tackles where the runner almost broke loose of him.

The pick I really didn't like was Jason Strowbridge. I know this isn't going to seem a very apt contrast because they're different sizes, but he's the anti-Raekwon Davis. Offensive linemen do not have much of a tough time with Strowbridge. They're not walking out of the game black and blue, or feeling lucky to have kept him at bay for 60 minutes. He's a physical specimen, like Davis, only smaller and therefore more likely to play on the edges. But you can be that and still come off as a player that gives blockers a hard time. When Jason Strowbridge is combo blocked, he gets pushed off the screen. Literally. He's at his best when he can get his hand placement right, and use his hands the way he really wants to. But otherwise I keep watching the guy and uttering the cliche phrase, "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane."

One of the themes I get out of this draft is taking some guys who had reasons they couldn't reach full potential in college, be it an injury here, an off season sickness, immaturity, donating bone marrow, a recent position switch, poor coaching, etc. You can take that one all the way to the top with Tua Tagovailoa, who wouldn't have been within reach of the Dolphins had he not crunched his hip. It's an interesting approach that reminds me a little bit of a period when the Bengals and Raiders always used to take the guys who were talented but fell because the league thought of them as problem children. Miami doesn't go that far, they generally go for choir boys as a matter of fact. But they were definitely looking at things almost from an equity analyst's standpoint, looking for mis-priced assets and market inefficiencies.

Last edited:
Ok guys. With OTA’s, camp, or football of any kind not on the immediate horizon and with the 2020 draft now in the rear view, I’m already looking forward to the 2021 draft! ;)

Ja’Marr Chase, DeVonta Smith, Penei Sewell, Walker Little, Najee Harris, Travis Etienne, Shaun Wade, Justyn Ross, Creed Humphrey, etc. — I’m all ready!

Slim’s probably already started on his 2021 rankings.

Last edited:
Ok guys. With OTA’s, camp, or football of any kind not on the immediate horizon and with the 2020 draft now in the rear view, I’m already looking forward to the 2021 draft! ;)

Ja’Marr Chase, DeVonta Smith, Penei Sewell, Walker Little, Najee Harris, Travis Etienne, Shaun Wade, Justyn Ross, Creed Humphrey, etc. — I’m all ready!

Slim’s probably already started on his 2021 rankings.

ran an early mock today based on the 2020 draft order

20200426_104946.jpg

As a 2 yr rebuild I have no problem with the focuses our draft, it's actually nice to see a coherent plan for once that has strategic vision. Honestly if this offseason gave us a franchise QB and fixed the OL once and for all (made it league average in pass protection), that is a big win. That is a foundation you can build on for years. Same on defense...having the DBs now a strength, as well as run plugging NT leaves only a few holes to fill next year. That's when you can get high-octane after seeing how Tua gells with the current cast of skill players. Can spend wisely on premium talent with less risk that way.

Back
Top Bottom