The Phins WILL Draft Braylon Edwards | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Phins WILL Draft Braylon Edwards

cigar said:
I rarely make posts on this board, and the ones I have made have come true (Review previous posts). You might as well chalk this one up. Lets talk a minute about the #2 pick. I can easily sum it up by saying "you better not screw it up." This means (obviously) that you pick the best player available - period. Not who can help us this year. Not who would fit your system. Not even player A might be a little better than player B, but player B is of more need. When you have a pick this high, the pressure is going to come down from both the fans and the payroll dept. The fans will demand a stud, even if you are loaded at his position. They might not like it, but it would allow flexibility in your organization via trades for players or draft picks. It allows your team to administrate. The front office will demand a stud, because no matter what, the organization is forced to make an investment that is far too risky for conventional investment practice. Some kid is coming out of college and will immediately become one of the highest paid playes without even taking a snap. No mail room, or apprenticeship, or point man with the shotgun. Nick Saban doesnt really have a difficult choice. Is Ronnie Brown the best player in the draft? Backup at Auburn; never carried the load; doesnt have a burst or elusiveness; put up "good", not "great" numbers; closes the door for trades (who is gonna trade up to get a RB when they are stocked); it can be debated as to whether he is even the best RB, let alone the best player in the draft. And please lets not fall for the combine "track practice" numbers. Braylon Edwards is undoubtably the best WR; put up record numbers at Michigan; racked up awards; also has all the tools; creates flexibility as far as trades (because he is the premire WR); and is rated higher than Brown on a majority of GM lists.
I know we have Chambers and Booker, but look what Linehan did with Moss, Robinson, Cambell, and Burelson last year. They ALL got the ball. And look what he did with his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string backs. They were easily plugged in when Bennett went down. And lets not forget a 3rd rounder already spent on Gordon.
This #2 pick isnt about who will help us or coaching philosophies. Its about a mandate to pick the best player. We dont have a choice.
Id rather draft no one before drafting Braylon "David Terrell Jr" Edwards. At least if we draft no one they will not be a bust.

Steve S said:
[

I know we have Chambers and Booker, but look what Linehan did with Moss, Robinson, Cambell, and Burelson last year. They ALL got the ball. And look what he did with his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string backs. They were easily plugged in when Bennett went down. And lets not forget a 3rd rounder already spent on Gordon.
This #2 pick isnt about who will help us or coaching philosophies. Its about a mandate to pick the best player. We dont have a choice.

Being a Michigan fan I think Edwards is a great player who MIGHT be the best player in the draft.

That said, he's not the right player for Miami in this draft. Taking him at #2 with no trade down would leave us with too many holes including the gaping one we have at tailback now.

You mentioned Minny's WR's and they are good but here's what they were: Moss (1st rounder) Burleson (3rd rounder) Robinson (free agent castoff) Campbell (undrafted player)

I'd like to see us get another WR but it doesn't have to be a 1st rounder. Courtney Roby, Terrence Murphy and Adriese Curry would all be great slot guys we could get much later in the draft. I think this Maurice Mann we have on our roster is an intriguing one b.c he was a better player in college than his teammate Nate Burleson.

A running back like Brown who does everything well would have a much bigger impact on this offense. I know Minny rotated backs but I think that had more to do with all of their backs having limitations or injury concerns. Brown and Gordon would be a great option to reviving our running game and offense than a rookie WR.

Benson and a trade down would be a great option too.

You win in this league by running the ball and stopping the run and I'd love to see a 1-2 combo of Benson/Hawthorne or Brown/Castillo to acheive both ends.[/QUOTE]

You sound like Wanny. Running the ball is how you win? Youre out of your mind if you think you win in this league by running....we had an 1800 yd RB in 2002 and our defense was AWESOME against the run and we were 9-7. You win in this league by having a very balanced attack, (excellent QB to get the ball to all of his impact WRs is how most of the points are scored in this league) INDY has one of the best offenses in the league...why? Because they have a lethal passing attack, and then Edge on the ground. Look at the Ravens and that proves you dead wrong, they have an awesome RB but their offense still sucks because all they do is run.

Dude, seriously, read Mike Williams player profile. Read the quotes from coaches and players. Mike Williams is way ahead of Braylon. It's not even close.

Steve S said:
[

Being a Michigan fan I think Edwards is a great player who MIGHT be the best player in the draft.

That said, he's not the right player for Miami in this draft. Taking him at #2 with no trade down would leave us with too many holes including the gaping one we have at tailback now.

You mentioned Minny's WR's and they are good but here's what they were: Moss (1st rounder) Burleson (3rd rounder) Robinson (free agent castoff) Campbell (undrafted player)

I'd like to see us get another WR but it doesn't have to be a 1st rounder. Courtney Roby, Terrence Murphy and Adriese Curry would all be great slot guys we could get much later in the draft. I think this Maurice Mann we have on our roster is an intriguing one b.c he was a better player in college than his teammate Nate Burleson.

A running back like Brown who does everything well would have a much bigger impact on this offense. I know Minny rotated backs but I think that had more to do with all of their backs having limitations or injury concerns. Brown and Gordon would be a great option to reviving our running game and offense than a rookie WR.

Benson and a trade down would be a great option too.

You win in this league by running the ball and stopping the run and I'd love to see a 1-2 combo of Benson/Hawthorne or Brown/Castillo to acheive both ends.[/QUOTE]

RBs are deep this year. Why spend the #2 on Brown when you can get just as quality of a player in a later round. You arent going to find a WR that adds up to Braylon Edwards. And for the reasons stated above, Edwards is a better player with less risk than Brown.

miami_mi said:
He makes plays granted, but he won't be catching Randy Moss type numbers in our offense, when we have CC and RM, who demand the ball be thrown to them. I would rather have the ball in a Running backs hands 30x a game, rather than a receiver who's lucky to get 7 thrown his way. But, everybody is entitled to their opinion, which is why I really like this site.

You bring up another point. Saban is unlike Wanny in that he prefers using muliple backs. He doesnt want to burn out 1 back and run him into the ground. Just another reason why investing the #2 pick in a RB is unwise. Saban has also said he wants explosive players at the WR position. Put it all together.

I took this clown up on his offer to review his past threads, to prove his prophetic claims.....what I saw it that this guy is a walking contradiction.

In one thread he (I'm paraphrasing)"warns people not to speculate as to what Miami might do....."

Isn't that what he's doing here....only not speculating, but saying it's FACT.

".......but instead look at the teams drafting right after Miami" Where he proceeds to incorrectly peg the needs of the Browns, Bears, Bucs and Titans, and speculate as to why each of them may be a trade down partner.

THEN, a few posts earlier he is b*tching at someone else for asking who Miami's trade down partners might vbe.....telling him that no one will want to trade up on this draft.

This guy is a real prophet!!!!!

Once he gets his own story straight.....I'll start buying his predictions.

If you're going to draft a receiver, why not go with Mike Williams. He is going to be a star. Don't get me wrong. I like Braylon Edwards, but Wiliams has more potential IMO. Williams in his two years at USC dominated. I don't know much about Edwards, but did he dominate at Michigan every year he was there?

I would be happy with either of these guys and i would argue that WR is both a NEED and where the best players in this draft reside (Williams and Edwards). Linehan uses a base 3 receiver set. We need a good one at the #3 spot.

I'm with you Cigar..even though you've trashed me before...you make good points...I guess I'm in the minority..geez..Why all the haters?..at least you have the balls to make such a bold prediction...and then you give some good reasons.

Funny enough, I've been thinking the exact same thing lately..that this draft is sooooo deep at RB (Fason, Arrington, Barber..etc.) that we can get a damn good back in the 2nd(?) or 3rd round.

Roman529 said:
.. BUT a receiver is far down the list of our priorities...
In this current system, an extremely talented receiver would be a priority. What if we had our #1 or #2 WR go down with an injury? The weakness in our current WR corps would be easily exposed.

Saban felt the difference when he lost his top WR to the NFL. Without Michael Clayton his LSU offense was less effective.

Edwards or Williams would immediately make the Phins a better team...just as a healthy David Boston would have.

The only possible higher priorities I see on this team is at RB and LT.

flintsilver7 said:
So, Frerotte posted a 118.1 rating in two and a half games and he's going to be our offensive savior? In case you weren't aware, Frerotte hasn't done much of anything his entire career. Actually, how a man with his career stats has played as much as he has is beyond me. By the way, those games in 2003 were against scrubs - they were against Detroit (25th against the pass), San Francisco (27th), and Atlanta (29th).

We don't have Culpepper or Moss. We also don't have Minnesota's perenially weak schedule. We also don't have a strong line. It's been pointed out plenty of times that Frerotte hasn't ever produced behind even an average line. Frerotte, aside from two and a half games in 2003, hasn't really produced in his career.

We may take Braylon Edwards for all I know. WR certainly isn't on our needs list - even without Boston. If Boston comes back, we won't take Edwards. If we do take Edwards, I'd say it's more than likely we trade him to address our needs. Our needs aren't very well represented in this draft with the exception of running back. At this point, based on our offseason moves, running back looks like the most likely choice at #2.

First off, Im not here to argue if Ferotte is a good QB. He has made the pro-bowl which is more than any Miami QB can say since Dan Marino. I will say that maybe Ferotte did well in Minnesota because of the quality WRs around him, and his offensive coordinator.

Second, maybe RB is our greatest need, but drafting a RB with the #2 eliminates any chance of us making a deal. If we had the best player in the draft and the best overall player for that matter, that forces us to be an appealing trade partner for other teams. That can force the hand of other teams to maybe give us another pick and the ability to get a RB with a later pick. Thats what I meant by flexible and administrative.

miamirw said:
If you're going to draft a receiver, why not go with Mike Williams. He is going to be a star. Don't get me wrong. I like Braylon Edwards, but Wiliams has more potential IMO. Williams in his two years at USC dominated. I don't know much about Edwards, but did he dominate at Michigan every year he was there?

I would be happy with either of these guys and i would argue that WR is both a NEED and where the best players in this draft reside (Williams and Edwards). Linehan uses a base 3 receiver set. We need a good one at the #3 spot.

I agree WIlliams will be better, but I think Caddy is going to be the biggest star out of this draft. My order goes....

1.Caddy
2. M.Williams
3. Brown/Benson

Back
Top Bottom