The Phins WILL Draft Braylon Edwards | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Phins WILL Draft Braylon Edwards

DreamWeaver said:
Just show up after we don't take Edwards and take your punishment like a man!:D

Thats a great idea. I will.
Seriously.

cigar said:
I rarely make posts on this board, and the ones I have made have come true (Review previous posts). You might as well chalk this one up. Lets talk a minute about the #2 pick. I can easily sum it up by saying "you better not screw it up." This means (obviously) that you pick the best player available - period. Not who can help us this year. Not who would fit your system. Not even player A might be a little better than player B, but player B is of more need. When you have a pick this high, the pressure is going to come down from both the fans and the payroll dept. The fans will demand a stud, even if you are loaded at his position. They might not like it, but it would allow flexibility in your organization via trades for players or draft picks. It allows your team to administrate. The front office will demand a stud, because no matter what, the organization is forced to make an investment that is far too risky for conventional investment practice. Some kid is coming out of college and will immediately become one of the highest paid playes without even taking a snap. No mail room, or apprenticeship, or point man with the shotgun. Nick Saban doesnt really have a difficult choice. Is Ronnie Brown the best player in the draft? Backup at Auburn; never carried the load; doesnt have a burst or elusiveness; put up "good", not "great" numbers; closes the door for trades (who is gonna trade up to get a RB when they are stocked); it can be debated as to whether he is even the best RB, let alone the best player in the draft. And please lets not fall for the combine "track practice" numbers. Braylon Edwards is undoubtably the best WR; put up record numbers at Michigan; racked up awards; also has all the tools; creates flexibility as far as trades (because he is the premire WR); and is rated higher than Brown on a majority of GM lists.
I know we have Chambers and Booker, but look what Linehan did with Moss, Robinson, Cambell, and Burelson last year. They ALL got the ball. And look what he did with his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string backs. They were easily plugged in when Bennett went down. And lets not forget a 3rd rounder already spent on Gordon.
This #2 pick isnt about who will help us or coaching philosophies. Its about a mandate to pick the best player. We dont have a choice.
Stop this right now. Your just trying to make me change my mind for the 300th time during this off season about the draft.

LarryFinFan said:
Way to go, another Swami...get a life...

Thanks guy. Keep ripping it when you buy my next book. (In fact, you probably already bought one.)

cigar said:
First off, Im not here to argue if Ferotte is a good QB. He has made the pro-bowl which is more than any Miami QB can say since Dan Marino. I will say that maybe Ferotte did well in Minnesota because of the quality WRs around him, and his offensive coordinator.

Second, maybe RB is our greatest need, but drafting a RB with the #2 eliminates any chance of us making a deal. If we had the best player in the draft and the best overall player for that matter, that forces us to be an appealing trade partner for other teams. That can force the hand of other teams to maybe give us another pick and the ability to get a RB with a later pick. Thats what I meant by flexible and administrative.

Please don't bring up Frerotte's Pro Bowl season. First, it was 9 years ago. Second, it wasn't even a good season. He completed 57.4% of his passes and threw 12 TDs with 11 INTs. He ranked 9th in completions, 6th in passing yards, and somewhere well below that in TDs. His passer rating was only 79.3, which this year would put him 20th (just ahead of Tim Rattay). In 2003, he would've been 17th. In 2002, he would've been much lower as well. Yes, he made the Pro Bowl, but I have no idea why. There were 9 quarterbacks in the Pro Bowl that year. That's roughly 1 out of every 4 starting quarterbacks.

My AstroBody is telling me that we really, really need to select a RB withe the first pick. Dude, remember how vital a great back is to a teams overall success? Ask Dan Marino!

burger13 said:
I took this clown up on his offer to review his past threads, to prove his prophetic claims.....what I saw it that this guy is a walking contradiction.

In one thread he (I'm paraphrasing)"warns people not to speculate as to what Miami might do....."

Isn't that what he's doing here....only not speculating, but saying it's FACT.

".......but instead look at the teams drafting right after Miami" Where he proceeds to incorrectly peg the needs of the Browns, Bears, Bucs and Titans, and speculate as to why each of them may be a trade down partner.

THEN, a few posts earlier he is b*tching at someone else for asking who Miami's trade down partners might vbe.....telling him that no one will want to trade up on this draft.

This guy is a real prophet!!!!!

Once he gets his own story straight.....I'll start buying his predictions.

Why dont you tell the whole story of my post history? Like the defensive coordinator postition, Seau resigning, Boston's release, Bua's move to SS, and the 3-4 defense.
I stand by draft trade partner to this day. Since you have no base but to criticize that post, I'll just forget you said anything.
Also, I did remember commenting on someone using baseless speculation. I, however, have never been wrong. Im not in the habit of posting garbage for sake of posting garbage. I can assure you, all my posts are fact laced with opinion to back it up. Beleive me Ace, Ive contributed more to this board in this sentence than you ever will.

Gladsadmad said:
I'm with you Cigar..even though you've trashed me before...you make good points...I guess I'm in the minority..geez..Why all the haters?..at least you have the balls to make such a bold prediction...and then you give some good reasons.

Funny enough, I've been thinking the exact same thing lately..that this draft is sooooo deep at RB (Fason, Arrington, Barber..etc.) that we can get a damn good back in the 2nd(?) or 3rd round.

Im sorry I have ever doubted you.

FinsDontGiveIn said:
My AstroBody is telling me that we really, really need to select a RB withe the first pick. Dude, remember how vital a great back is to a teams overall success? Ask Dan Marino!
You make a valid point. Everyone laments...if only Marino had a running back to complement the offense. Not that it wasn't a high powered offense, but a more balanced attack would have produced fewer turnovers in the big games.

You can have the greatest QB on the planet and still not win a Superbowl. You need an efficient QB and a great team to reach the goal.

But fans will always be infatuated with the QB position.

cigar said:
I rarely make posts on this board, and the ones I have made have come true (Review previous posts). You might as well chalk this one up. Lets talk a minute about the #2 pick. I can easily sum it up by saying "you better not screw it up." This means (obviously) that you pick the best player available - period. Not who can help us this year. Not who would fit your system. Not even player A might be a little better than player B, but player B is of more need. When you have a pick this high, the pressure is going to come down from both the fans and the payroll dept. The fans will demand a stud, even if you are loaded at his position. They might not like it, but it would allow flexibility in your organization via trades for players or draft picks. It allows your team to administrate. The front office will demand a stud, because no matter what, the organization is forced to make an investment that is far too risky for conventional investment practice. Some kid is coming out of college and will immediately become one of the highest paid playes without even taking a snap. No mail room, or apprenticeship, or point man with the shotgun. Nick Saban doesnt really have a difficult choice. Is Ronnie Brown the best player in the draft? Backup at Auburn; never carried the load; doesnt have a burst or elusiveness; put up "good", not "great" numbers; closes the door for trades (who is gonna trade up to get a RB when they are stocked); it can be debated as to whether he is even the best RB, let alone the best player in the draft. And please lets not fall for the combine "track practice" numbers. Braylon Edwards is undoubtably the best WR; put up record numbers at Michigan; racked up awards; also has all the tools; creates flexibility as far as trades (because he is the premire WR); and is rated higher than Brown on a majority of GM lists.
I know we have Chambers and Booker, but look what Linehan did with Moss, Robinson, Cambell, and Burelson last year. They ALL got the ball. And look what he did with his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string backs. They were easily plugged in when Bennett went down. And lets not forget a 3rd rounder already spent on Gordon.
This #2 pick isnt about who will help us or coaching philosophies. Its about a mandate to pick the best player. We dont have a choice.

I couldn't agree with you more - in terms of philosophy. I made the same post myself recently - although my argument was about questions w/ ALL the top guys. My conclusion however is not Edwards - he drops way to many easy passes to be elite. (im also going off the assumption that the QBs aren't franchise guys - only Saban can answer this - because we can't break down film w/ them). Mike Williams or trade down.

bigmiamifan said:
The best WR doesn't make him the BPA at #2.

Well Ive already said it, but I'll say it again - He is the best WR and the BPA.

Back
Top Bottom