The Ricky story buried beneath all the salary "demand" crap | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Ricky story buried beneath all the salary "demand" crap

Roman529 said:
What concerns me is Ricky has to test 10 times a year....do you guys really think Ricky is going to be able to stay away from the weed? One more strike and Ricky could be banned from the NFL for life. You have to wonder if Ricky's motives are just to attempt to show his trying to come back so he can get his 8 million, more than him wanting to really contribute to the team. I hope Ricky has changed his ways, BUT call me SKEPTICAL. :mad:

I'm hoping he came up with his own medicine, herb, whatever you want to call it while he was in college.

Roman529 said:
What concerns me is Ricky has to test 10 times a year....do you guys really think Ricky is going to be able to stay away from the weed? One more strike and Ricky could be banned from the NFL for life. You have to wonder if Ricky's motives are just to attempt to show his trying to come back so he can get his 8 million, more than him wanting to really contribute to the team. I hope Ricky has changed his ways, BUT call me SKEPTICAL. :mad:

10 times a month... not year. BIG difference!

DrAstroZoom said:
The Herald wants you to talk about money because it's sexier water cooler talk.

Don't worry Doc, the sexy talk around my water cooler is about you...

:couch:

DrAstroZoom said:
Wow, my friend. You have set a new standard for conspiracy theories. "I'll play well enough so that I can get cut. Yeahhhh ... that's the ticket."

Hmmmmmmmmmm ... don't think I'm buying it. :)

Why then are you taking Ricky's salary demands so lightly? You're accusing alot of people of selective vision, but on the contrary you seem to be doing alot of it yourself.

DrAstroZoom said:
I'm not saying you should bake him a cake or that we should name a street in his honor. But the fact is, he is indicating a willingess to do more than is required, and that willingness will in all likelihood help the inevitable media circus upon his arrival be a little bit less of a distraction. So in that respect, yes, he has started the journey of regaining my respect.

Fair enough.

More like a "WILLINGNESS" to do what's needed so he can get paid.

touborg said:
Are you suggesting we compliment Ricky for submitting to drug tests earlier than he's supposed to?

Players in the NFL are supposed to stay drug free, I'm not sure I share your idea that he's doing anything extrordinary. All players have to take them, and commending him that he's drug free and taking tests (just like everyone else), is like giving him a compliment for getting out of bed in the morning.

You want commitment? How about 8,6 million in commitment. Funny how you suddenly love football when you don't have a dime, but hated it just a year before.

I'll give Ricky a nod the day he walks dirty, bloody and exhausted off the field, after a good performance. He owes us more than money, and the when he starts paying that debt during the games, I'll give him a nod. Till then, he is still the same Ricky that commited the biggest act of treason in Dolphins history.

One of my favorite posts about RW. I'm not so sure I can give him the same nod, but this was very well said by you.

Here's a perspective I think you are missing.

Let's say the conspiracy theorists are right here. Let's say he is doing this solely for the money. Which, you might be right. I don't agree, but who's to say I am right and you are wrong or vice versa. We dunno yet. BUt I will play along with the conspiracy theory.

First I think alot of you are missing a fairly obvious point. Many have stated 4 main points.

1) What if he quits again? He is unreliable.
2) He will be a distraction
3) He will be out of shape
4) He's only doing it for the money.

Now I will state a perspective on each worry

1) If he quits again, so what? Not too much money invested in him. Besides we have Ronnie Brown now. Taking him back helps ease Brown into the system and league without having to pount the rock 25+ times a game. This will help his longevity in the long run. He will be reliable simply because he has no choice. He will honor the next 2 years and I believe that is all Saban wants from him is just the remainder of his contract. Saban knows Ronnie is the future so Saban technically would simply be "USING" rICKY JUST LIKE MANY SAY rICKY WOULD BE "USING" the Phins for money.

2) This unfortunately will happen. He will be a distraction. Up until the first day he puts on a Phin uniform in week 5. However, by him getting active early and proving himself through camps it might just ease up the media a tad bit. Some might come around to still being skeptical but admitting that he atleast seems committed to making it work. But don't think Ricky's distraction will be any different then if we sign another DE and the quotes from Taylors agent. I am sure all season long media will speculate if Taylor and Thomas will be here. Specifically because of FA'S and draft. It will be no different then the David Boston saga. It will be no different a distraction then twice a year this year when the " Bellicheck vs. Saban" articles come out. " David vs. Goliath" " Teacher vs. student" Trust me, it's only a distraction if you let it be one. I understand Rickys situation is bigger then the ones I mentioned. But no matter what, there will always be distractions. Some have more then others, but we have so many " Distractions" that everyone seems to keep saying that one more won't make a difference.

3) He has been doing Yoga. That keeps him flexible and limber. If he is instructing or even doing Yoga he will be in shape. It's just his strength that he will need to work on. By him doing everything early means he will be back training earlier. Why do some of you just brush that off. He is showing a committment to get ready. Whether for money or committment, why does it matter? As long as he performs every Sunday why does he have to do it for th elove of the game. Ask Jason Taylor, Zack Thomas, Sam Madison any one of those guys to take a 50% paycut. They will still be making over 3 million a year. If you tell them to be a team player, it will help the team. Do it because you love the game. I GUARANTEE YOU not one of those players will do it. So the fact that Ricky is just doing it for money. Who cares? Chastize Taylor, Thomas and Madison as well. Because it's those players love for the MONEY, ooooppppssss, I mean their love for the game that put us in cap trouble every single season for the last 3 or 4. Not Williams little 2-3.5 million. But I am willing to bet you will say they are team players:wink:

4) Oh yeah. Who cares again if he is doing it for the money. He has already stated that he has 2 years or 4,000 yards left in him. That to me sounds like he is already TELLING US, that he only plans to play for a couple more seasons. What do you know? His contract is up in a couple seasons. Saban will use him for 2 seasons then he will have no use or value for him and he will have served his purpose.

For these reasons. Ricky is all potential will little risk. Nothing he can do ( sitting out, holding out, quitting, getting suspended again) will hurt us too much simply because he is relatively cap friendly, and we have Ronnie Brown along with the fact that he won't be our main focus on offense.

Just giving another perspective.

touborg said:
I'll give Ricky a nod the day he walks dirty, bloody and exhausted off the field, after a good performance. He owes us more than money, and the when he starts paying that debt during the games, I'll give him a nod. Till then, he is still the same Ricky that commited the biggest act of treason in Dolphins history.

I suppose you didn't get to watch Ricky too much in 2002 or 2003. Or maybe since you didn't get to see him run in 2004 you have forgotten that is exactly the way he performs.

If the contract gets worked out I suspect you will have to nod after his first game back.

clear.gif

DrAstroZoom said:
If the Herald hadn't rattled Steinberg's cage over the built-in salary questions in Ricky's contract, this would have been Jason Cole's lede:

Here's a "ledefor ya, Doc. Ricky should play for whatever the Dolphins say he should. Knowing him, he won't and there will be a standoff. I hope he goes away for good. Ultimately he's bad news for a rebuilding club and will not have any meaningful trade value.

Cole got the story right, any attempts to make Ricky look better are just foolish ones.

He's a stupid, selfish prick who is lucky to have ONE last chance. I hope he blows it and flushes away like the turd he is.

DrAstroZoom said:
If the Herald hadn't rattled Steinberg's cage over the built-in salary questions in Ricky's contract, this would have been Jason Cole's lede:

Why is no one talking about this? Why is no one commenting on what it says about Ricky's commitment to coming back? Why is no one giving him a nod for not wanting to disrupt training camp by coming back after it has already started?

Because you're doing exactly what the Herald wants you to do: grouse about Ricky's salary demands -- demands which aren't demands at all, but a one-line response from an agent that really didn't want to discuss the money issue. The Herald wants you to talk about money because it's sexier water cooler talk.

Buck the system. Comment on what you think about this "buried lede."
couldnt agree more. The paper is making a story out of nothing and overexaggerating what was said. end of discussion. :lol:

Even with his past, what GOOD reason would Ricky have to leave once he comes back?

Roman529 said:
I wonder who's going to high-five who in a bar if Ricky fails another drug test!:shakeno:

I say we give ricky a base salary of about $1 Million, and incentives of about $1.7Million if he gets over 1000 yards assuming hes suspended for 4 games. Sure, he screwed us, but its only fair to pay him fairly if he does return to his old self.

Back
Top Bottom