The Ricky story buried beneath all the salary "demand" crap | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Ricky story buried beneath all the salary "demand" crap

DrAstroZoom said:
Likewise, there is absolutely nothing to back up the belief that Ricky HAS made salary demands, which is unfortunately and incorrectly being treated as a given.

Oh contrare........ part of an agents job is to speak on the behalf of his client.

Boik14 said:
hmmm I was under the impression that the issue isnt whether hes under contract but rather for how much $ he is under contract for....

Could be, depending on if the situation is ever brought in front of an arbitrator to decide if the previous contract is valid once he unretires. However, there were stipulations in his previous contract terminating it if he did. So that leaves you at what could possibly be a "recission" impass which I wrote about, which you'd know had you read the link.

He can submit himself for testing early etc., but until I see him on a field practicing with the team he's still a non factor as far as I am concerned.

enigmatics said:
Oh contrare........ part of an agents job is to speak on the behalf of his client.

On behalf of, yes (usually), though not necessarily for. My point is, the only comment we've heard is that Ricky's agent didn't see him playing for the flat veteran minimum. That's far from a specific salary demand.

DrAstroZoom said:
On behalf of, yes (usually), though not necessarily for. My point is, the only comment we've heard is that Ricky's agent didn't see him playing for the flat veteran minimum. That's far from a specific salary demand.

I think it would be highly ignorant and naive of Ricky to go on record making contract demands given his present situation, don't you? Hence the agent....... ;)

DrAstroZoom said:
That is a salary demand though, the agent is setting a floor to the negotiations by saying it. You could say " agent demands salary not to be league minimum".

enigmatics said:
I think it would be highly ignorant and naive of Ricky to go on record making contract demands given his present situation, don't you? Hence the agent....... ;)

I know it may sound like I'm playing semantic games, but there's a vast difference between an agent reacting to a scenario thrust at him under which his client would play for a flat minimum and Ricky making salary demands, which is the situation now being portrayed in the media.

DrAstroZoom said:
I know it may sound like I'm playing semantic games, but there's a vast difference between an agent reacting to a scenario thrust at him under which his client would play for a flat minimum and Ricky making salary demands, which is the situation now being portrayed in the media.

Explain the difference.

enigmatics said:
Explain the difference.

Easy. A salary demand would be Steinberg saying: "We expect Ricky to be paid according to his contract." The fact he didn't tells me they're not necessarily pushing for the contract to be honored under "pre-breach" terms.

DrAstroZoom said:
Easy. A salary demand would be Steinberg saying: "We expect Ricky to be paid according to his contract." The fact he didn't tells me they're not necessarily pushing for the contract to be honored under "pre-breach" terms.

My point is they're not in position to be making demands, so they have to use sensitive verbage.

DrAstroZoom said:
Perhaps so, but that's not how it's playing in the papers or the Internet, where sites like MSNBC have transformed Cole's story with its one-liner from Steinberg into headlines like:

Dolphins want RB to accept NFL minimum; he wants $3.7 million

That presents both sides at an extreme level. No matter how you spin it though, Ricky and his agent are really in no position to negotiate. They're just doing so because you can't lay down I guess.

enigmatics said:
That presents both sides at an extreme level. No matter how you spin it though, Ricky and his agent are really in no position to negotiate. They're just doing so because you can't lay down I guess.

The headline I quoted is not a spin, it's a fabrication.

DrAstroZoom said:
If the Herald hadn't rattled Steinberg's cage over the built-in salary questions in Ricky's contract, this would have been Jason Cole's lede:

Why is no one talking about this? Why is no one commenting on what it says about Ricky's commitment to coming back? Why is no one giving him a nod for not wanting to disrupt training camp by coming back after it has already started?

Because you're doing exactly what the Herald wants you to do: grouse about Ricky's salary demands -- demands which aren't demands at all, but a one-line response from an agent that really didn't want to discuss the money issue. The Herald wants you to talk about money because it's sexier water cooler talk.

Buck the system. Comment on what you think about this "buried lede."

i agree, this wasnt anything special...This story is more juicier when its about money and controversy...

This is all about his agent getting the most for his client...

DrAstroZoom said:
The headline I quoted is not a spin, it's a fabrication.

Yet I've seen in other publications some attorneys have said Steinberg should attempt to persue the 3.7. It's an exaggeration not a fabrication. This is what the media does though - you that surprised? There are half truths all over this situation.

Back
Top Bottom