There is not 1 match up nightmare on this team | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

There is not 1 match up nightmare on this team

LOL dude, you serious think Mike's going to ask for minimum ?

Neither has Trevor Lawrence but folks are already prepping him for the HOF. There is no sure thing but I for one will bet Pitts will be a great in this league. This thread is all about matchup nightmares and Mike's not giving enough DC's sleepless nights, but he does have trade value, why wouldn't you consider trading a player that has no chemistry with your QB before you need to pay him and replace him with a prospect that has been described by plenty of college analysts as the biggest mismatch in the college game.
Tua was every bit the monumental prospect Lawrence was before the injury, so I can say with good personal experience that everyone anointing Trevor needs to be careful what they wish for.

The main problem is they are both too similiar in metrics and stature.
Neither are true blocking type of TEs in the traditional sense.

They wouldn't complement each other like what the Patriots had in Gronk and Hernandez.

You pretty much only draft Pitts to eventually replace Gesicki.

IMO, considering the other and pertinent holes on the offense that's not the best use of our precious resources.

A stud reciever to complement D.Parker would go a lot further for this offense than replacing Gesicki with all things being equal at this stage.

Agree. Much rather take a stud receiver. If receivers are gone (pending what they do with #3 pick) and Miami wants a stud weapon, be hard to pass up on Pitts.

Agree. Much rather take a stud receiver. If receivers are gone (pending what they do with #3 pick) and Miami wants a stud weapon, be hard to pass up on Pitts.

Let's play make believe with this season and everything else considering. Which of the follow two hypotheticals likely gave us an additional win this season and a post-season berth:

1) Pitts on this roster replacing Mike Gesiciki
2) A reciever like Chase/Smith replacing P.Williams or Grant etc

It doesn't matter what i think. I've asked of you a simple request and that's to post your source that Gesicki and his representative are going to ask for a contract that's not fair to his market value and to date performance.

We're still waiting...

No chemistry with your QB is also debateable considering all other factors. But please i'm making another request please provide the basis to that position.

Who's waiting, why they hell would I know ? I simply made the statement, he won't be asking minimum. It's likely to be a big contract. When did I say anything else ??? It's you who is for some reason making demands here.

So as a team you have a decision to make, you can let him play out the final year of the rookie deal (with the risks that come with that) or negotiate an extension this off season. The decision will revolve around whether they feel Mike fits with the way this team is developing and what they feel they can get if they cash in now, via a trade. Mike's way too inconsistent for me personally, a it's pretty apparent that there is little to no chemistry with Tua. For me it's a no brainer but I'm not the FO or privy to the thought processes of the team.

Let's play make believe with this season and everything else considering. Which of the follow two hypotheticals likely gave us an additional win this season and a post-season berth:

1) Pitts on this roster replacing Mike Gesiciki
2) A reciever like Chase/Smith replacing P.Williams or Grant etc

With glaring holes on the offense some people want to "possibly" upgrade the one spot where we seem competent. Weird.

Last edited:
Couple more points, saying Pitts can't block, is complete nonsense, actually when he's asked to do it, he does it rather well, he's just not asked to do it a lot. And describing Pitts as just a TE is way off the mark. He is a receiver, you can line him up anywhere. Watch his tape.

With glaring hole on the offense some people want to "possibly" upgrade the one spot where we seem competent. Weird.

Mike's not competent with Tua throwing him the ball, he's only shown that competency on a consistent level when the 39 year old we will be moving on from has thrown him the ball. This thread is all about nightmare mismatches, and this debate started because someone described Mike as there is debatable evidence that he is moving forward.

Most of the good teams Have somebody you think wow how are we going to stop that

Maybe it’s offense or defense but on Miami is there anybody you think other fans say oh how’s my team gonna contain Devante Parker or Myles Gaskin.

The league is all about match ups and outside of our starting corners there are zero in our favor
Sorry brother, but I disagree.

Thus far I have not seen someone shut down Mike Gesicki. He may have an off game, but he is too long with too great of a vertical jump for CB's to really contest him ... and he's too powerful for those DB's ... and he's too fast for any LB who could match up with him physically. Mike Gesicki is a matchup nightmare and a dominant chess piece. As he grows as a player he will blossom into a true star, IMHO.

Now that he's staying healthy and playing consistently, DaVante Parker is a true #1 WR, and he wins his 1v1's. Not sure how much more you could hope to get from him.

Jakeem Grant is not the best WR, but his change of direction is legitimately elite and his speed is legitimately elite. Both are in contention for the best in all of the NFL. Those physical traits scare the hell out of all defenders. Only DB's have any hope of covering him, and any safety with half a brain shades to Grant's side or risks a TD on every play. Almost all CB's either try to win the "bump" at the LOS and pass him off to a zone or safety over the top, or they stay WAY BACK and try to keep him underneath them, basically giving him the reception if he was targeted and actually snagged the ball. They are almost wholly focused on preventing the run after the catch, and have already sacrificed the conflict of actual coverage.

Those are real mismatch pieces. Someone like Albert Wilson, or now possibly Lynn Bowden Jr., are other difficult matchups.

Is it perfect? No. But we do have those guys.

Tua was every bit the monumental prospect Lawrence was before the injury, so I can say with good personal experience that everyone anointing Trevor needs to be careful what they wish for.
The people anointing Lawrence only watched the NC game from a couple years ago. That's it.

That's where all of it is coming from.

I disagree. Sean McVay and other coaches have found Flo to be a nightmare matchup.

Couple more points, saying Pitts can't block, is complete nonsense, actually when he's asked to do it, he does it rather well, he's just not asked to do it a lot. And describing Pitts as just a TE is way off the mark. He is a receiver, you can line him up anywhere. Watch his tape.
I did. He can't block.

Thus far I have not seen someone shut down Mike Gesicki. He may have an off game, but he is too long with too great of a vertical jump for CB's to really contest him ... and he's too powerful for those DB's ... and he's too fast for any LB who could match up with him physically. Mike Gesicki is a matchup nightmare and a dominant chess piece. As he grows as a player he will blossom into a true star, IMHO.

Now that he's staying healthy and playing consistently, DaVante Parker is a true #1 WR, and he wins his 1v1's. Not sure how much more you could hope to get from him.

Jakeem Grant is not the best WR, but his change of direction is legitimately elite and his speed is legitimately elite. Both are in contention for the best in all of the NFL. Those physical traits scare the hell out of all defenders. Only DB's have any hope of covering him, and any safety with half a brain shades to Grant's side or risks a TD on every play. Almost all CB's either try to win the "bump" at the LOS and pass him off to a zone or safety over the top, or they stay WAY BACK and try to keep him underneath them, basically giving him the reception if he was targeted and actually snagged the ball. They are almost wholly focused on preventing the run after the catch, and have already sacrificed the conflict of actual coverage.

Those are real mismatch pieces. Someone like Albert Wilson, or now possibly Lynn Bowden Jr., are other difficult matchups.

:DWN::cheers:

Gesicki is bottom 5 in the NFL in average yards of separation. Plenty of people cover him just fine. Easier than most of the league, actually. Can they stop him from catching jump balls? Pretty hard to do so, but that's not a "matchup nightmare" in any sense of the word because you can't run a consistent offense through a player like that.

Speaking of bottom 5 in the NFL in average yards of separation, Devante Parker is DEAD LAST. Dead last of every single receiving player in the entire NFL. He has 1 season over 800 yards in SIX years. Do you know what a #1 WR is? At all?

Jakeem Grant jumps to catch passes into his chest which eliminates any YAC possibility because he has stone hands and knows it. If you're a body catching receiver you can go play in the CFL for all I care. His long this season is 30 ****ing yards. His long last season was 18 ****ing yards. He just barely broke 1000 yards... in FIVE YEARS. To say anybody is scared to cover him, that's hilarious because I'm pretty sure >I< could cover him by just standing on the sidelines and watch him drop the bomb without even having to do anything.

This might be the most fluff post I've ever seen on this site and today I read that we would have given up Tua and multiple firsts for the honor of drafting Mark Sanchez.

Holy ****.

Mike's not competent with Tua throwing him the ball, he's only shown that competency on a consistent level when the 39 year old we will be moving on from has thrown him the ball. This thread is all about nightmare mismatches, and this debate started because someone described Mike as there is debatable evidence that he is moving forward.
Maybe give it some time? Just a thought

Back
Top Bottom