This Is How The Dolphins Plan To Tank This Year | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Is How The Dolphins Plan To Tank This Year

That's the part that worries me. Can our FO make the right trade and gain enough from it? I don't trust Grier but if he does well then I'll give him credit. Time will tell.

That's the part that worries us all. But at this point what do we have to lose? Another 8-8 or worst record? We've been playing that record game for too many years. It's time!

Just have to hope they have a solid plan in place and honestly get lucky on some players.

I have heard this Tank talk for a while now, and truthfully I believe it. In speaking with Uncle Georgie at Davos, he confirmed it. I am waiting for this years Bilderberg, which is in California this year. I hope Pres Maduro will be there so I can ask him, he is a Big Phin Fan, and has insider info. Oh by the way Fin Fan In Cali, I have a +2 you waana come?? Oh yeah, I understand Vaark is going to Bohemian Grove this year, maybe if S. Ross is there he can ask him also. But yup, they are changing to large "Tanks" of Gatorade instead of the portable coolers, remember you heard it here first.

The Never Tanking VIPER

We only won 6 games this year while we were trying hard to win and with a team that had plenty of veteran players. Take away most of those vets and start a very young QB and we'll be hard pressed to win more than 2 games. It's not really losing on purposed but just a fact that when you go with mostly young players and no real QB then you're just going to lose a lot.
I hope you're right brother, but I keep having flashbacks of Matt Moore during our Suck for Luck campaign when we started the season off by losing the first 7 games, then Matt Moore engineered wins in 6 of the last 9 to drop us down to the 8th spot in the draft. That was some bad tanking.

We only won 6 games this year while we were trying hard to win and with a team that had plenty of veteran players. Take away most of those vets and start a very young QB and we'll be hard pressed to win more than 2 games. It's not really losing on purposed but just a fact that when you go with mostly young players and no real QB then you're just going to lose a lot.
I hope you're right brother, but I keep having flashbacks of Matt Moore during our Suck for Luck campaign when we started the season off by losing the first 7 games, then Matt Moore engineered wins in 6 of the last 9 to drop us down to the 8th spot in the draft. That was some bad tanking.
Imagine the look on Ross' face next season if we are pulling out games we are not supposed to win.

Similarly on this site

I hate the idea of trading down. More likely than not, that's going to lead to additional mediocre pieces going forward. One great player won't kill the tank. Trade up but just make sure you are trading toward positions that make sensible for a trade up, and not something like offensive line.
You may not like the idea of trading down, but how do you feel about the idea of trading a mid-1st rounder in the 2019 draft for a 1st and 2nd in 2020? I'd jump on that one.

How do you coach players to TANK.
I think you would have players demanding trades.
If I were orchestrating a team tanking I would have a heavy dose of young players, with every veteran being someone who was completely hard working and did what the coaches asked of him. Someone who could help the locker room work on honing their craft without loafing or doing foolish things off the field. The veterans role would be to create fellow players who lived for the team.

Then the vast majority of guys on my roster would be rookies or players with less than 3 years experience. So a few of those guys would possess a lot of talent, and many of them would be flawed or raw guys, like OL with sloppy technique, WR's who needed to work on their route running, etc. Then, I would focus hard on the fundamentals. Some of those sloppy/raw kids would learn and begin to blossom into solid role players. Those guys I'd keep the following year. The rest would be shed in the offseason. So the tank year would be used to hunt for and develop gems, all the time realizing that we were going to fail far more than we were going to succeed in this search. But, we will likely find/develop some gems, whether they're potentials sleeper stars or just solid role players, we're likely to find a few.

In the draft I would look at trading for future picks, preferably of equal or higher value. If we're tanking, we're OK with delaying gratification for that talent. In fact, we'd rather stack them later into the team so that the stars could grow together as our team rises from the ashes after tanking.

Football is primarily about knowing the fundamentals, consistently executing those fundamentals, and filling your roles reliably. Yes, it requires stupendous athletic ability, but there's a LOT more people who have that ability out of the NFL than there are in the NFL reliably doing it. Every year each team probably cuts 5 to 10 guys who have special athletic gifts, but who are more track stars or workout warriors than football players. When we tank, we're looking to take players with talent and give lots of them chances. So many of them will fail that it almost guarantees we effectively tank. But, the few that succeed will be hidden gems that help us rise above the mediocrity in which we so often find ourselves mired.

If this is true(which I think it is) then it really puts the pending Howard contract in additional light.

If your goal is to build the best roster going forward then I don't know how you don't explore trade value for him.

If a team offers you a late 1st round pick for him then how do you know seriously consider that?

IMO, If you don't have a QB and some decent protection for that QB in this league then you're not going anywhere.

You could have Dion Sanders playing one of the DB spots and it isn't happening without a strong offense.

Howard has had some injuries, might not be a bad move to consider, although if he’s healthy, he is the kind of player you would want to keep.

Howard has had some injuries, might not be a bad move to consider, although if he’s healthy, he is the kind of player you would want to keep.
Its a quandary.

I think my personal preference is to trade him now. The $ he, apparently, wants is too much IMO. He had 1 outstanding season, in which he missed 1/4 of the games.

I won't have a big problem with extending him either, at top 5-7 $. No way i make him highest paid early. We can wait to decide, but the team loses a lot of the leverage after this season starts.

Our biggest problem with tanking is Ross. No way he stays out of a 2-3yr rebuild.

Our biggest problem with tanking is Ross. No way he stays out of a 2-3yr rebuild.

That doesn't make sense to me. He's been more than willing to give coaches 3-4 years to do their thing. So why wouldn't he be willing to give Flores the same? Especially, if Ross and co are mandating a youthful roster to be built up?

We are probably gonna end up with Herbert after this tank fest.

Better hope that kid has it between the ears. Otherwise gonna be a long 5 years.

We are probably gonna end up with Herbert after this tank fest.

Better hope that kid has it between the ears. Otherwise gonna be a long 5 years.

God I hope if he's not the answer he just plain ol sucks, I don't think I can go through another 5 additional years of people arguing for and against our QB.

That doesn't make sense to me. He's been more than willing to give coaches 3-4 years to do their thing. So why wouldn't he be willing to give Flores the same? Especially, if Ross and co are mandating a youthful roster to be built up?

That doesn’t change the fact that he is an impatient meddling owner that we now know has forced signings and draft picks.

That doesn’t change the fact that he is an impatient meddling owner that we now know has forced signings and draft picks.
not to mention he's 80 yrs old. I am very surprised that he at his age is on board with the 'tanking'
I was almost 100% sure he would be all in on winning now.

Last edited:
If they are really tanking, now would be a good time to STFU about it... There's a difference between a team that really looks like its trying to tank and a team that explicitely states we are tanking... Losing on purpose is definitely not allowed and the Fins are walking a thin line here...

If they are really tanking, now would be a good time to STFU about it... There's a difference between a team that really looks like its trying to tank and a team that explicitely states we are tanking... Losing on purpose is definitely not allowed and the Fins are walking a thin line here...
This team has been for so long that they have become bad at both winning and losing.

Back
Top Bottom