this would have been tannehill's breakout season | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

this would have been tannehill's breakout season

I'm not sure what's up with the navel gazing that's infested this thread. Sometimes it makes me think people don't bother to watch the games. I'm no great student of the game. I'm just a casual, interested observer. What I saw was much improved play from #17 after game 5. Adding to that, some truly impressive throws were there that were missed in seasons prior. It was like a light came on. Coach and players were effusive in their praise. I was thinking we were finally over the QB hump, and then the injury. What a kick to the nuts for everyone involved. If #17 comes back to play like he did after game 5 last season, I'll be a happy fan.

What I year you saying there is "both" (individual talent and surroundings), and so the question then becomes what kind of surroundings the Dolphins are likely to amass, and what that would do to Tannehill's play.

Obviously what you'd want ideally is a QB who can play very well even among average-level surroundings, since average-level surroundings are the most likely kind a team will have.

You don't want to be in the position, conversely, in which you need surroundings that are so good they aren't likely to be amassed, to get a QB to play at only a slightly above-average level.

I'll take a complete team any day over a top QB. A top QB can only do so much, especially with an average team.

I like Ryan and I support him. But, let's be honest. Every year for the last 6 years was going to be his "breakout season". The Tammy we saw last year is the Tanny we will see for the rest of his career IMO. Pretty good but not great. Can win a SB.

Exactly this. Most fans around the NFL would not describe last season as a "breakout" year for Tannehill. He looked terrible early on (specifically against the Bengals and unfortunately it was a prime time game) I think most people would say that Tannehill benefited from the success of Ajayi (who actually did have a breakout year).

I really think we have seen the ceiling for Tannehill, I think he would have looked maybe slightly better this year but to be honest I think Cutler can put up similar numbers under Gase, so what does that say about Tannehill? We can win a superbowl with him, but don't ever expect him to be discussed as a elite QB or as a QB who can bail you out of bad games. He ranks with Alex Smith, Sam Bradford, etc. We need a very good team overall to consistently make the playoffs. Tannehill isn't good enough us to consistently take us to the playoffs like Rodgers, Wilson, Big Ben, Carr (yeah I think Carr is that good). But good QBs miss the playoffs all the time like Brees and Rivers but it's more obvious that those QBs are better than Tannehill, based on statistics.

Here is an article that
Exactly this. Most fans around the NFL would not describe last season as a "breakout" year for Tannehill. He looked terrible early on (specifically against the Bengals and unfortunately it was a prime time game) I think most people would say that Tannehill benefited from the success of Ajayi (who actually did have a breakout year).

I really think we have seen the ceiling for Tannehill, I think he would have looked maybe slightly better this year but to be honest I think Cutler can put up similar numbers under Gase, so what does that say about Tannehill? We can win a superbowl with him, but don't ever expect him to be discussed as a elite QB or as a QB who can bail you out of bad games. He ranks with Alex Smith, Sam Bradford, etc. We need a very good team overall to consistently make the playoffs. Tannehill isn't good enough us to consistently take us to the playoffs like Rodgers, Wilson, Big Ben, Carr (yeah I think Carr is that good). But good QBs miss the playoffs all the time like Brees and Rivers but it's more obvious that those QBs are better than Tannehill, based on statistics.

The issue is that these kinds of positions regarding Tannehill are unfalsifiable.

How do you refute the position that "if Tannehill had only X around him, he'd be great," or "in the future he'll be X." No one can possibly refute any of that, because it hasn't happened.

If it's impossible to refute a position, that position is by definition weak.

The issue is that these kinds of positions regarding Tannehill are unfalsifiable.

How do you refute the position that "if Tannehill had only X around him, he'd be great," or "in the future he'll be X." No one can possibly refute any of that, because it hasn't happened.

Did you not watch the latter part of last season when the offense finally gelled under the new system?

Did you not watch the latter part of last season when the offense finally gelled under the new system?

Yes I did Matt Moore did not take a snap in 5 years and put up back to back 34 points games on the road vs division rivals.

Yes I did Matt Moore did not take a snap in 5 years and put up back to back 34 points games on the road vs division rivals.

Of course your point here is one that is conveniently after the offense had progressed thru the learning curve of a new system.

And Moore put up back to back 34 pt games . . .really?

Here is an article that

OMG. Stop this. Just watch the ****ing game.

Here's the thing about Tannehill -

He has very poor pocket presence.

He is a tough competitor.

He is an elite athlete.

He has a good arm.

He can read defenses.

He is severely limited by his lack of intuition on the playing field to feel pressure.

He is poor at sensing danger and moving in the pocket properly to elongate plays and make something out of nothing.

He therefore will never be better than average.

This was evident in season one of his career.

Some guys have it some don't.

Marino was one of the best of all time.

Brady is amazing. Brees too -

Cutler is pretty good at it - Cutler's problem is that he is such an elite athlete that he never perfected his mechanics and makes errant throws based on poor throwing technique at times. But he's got pocket presence.

How do you know a QB sucks? When his fan base can only argue if he was healthy in his 6th year and playing it would finally be his breakout season.

If anybody needs to see average QB talent, watch Andy Dalton.

Back
Top Bottom