Tom Olivadotti -Tell me its Not | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tom Olivadotti -Tell me its Not

It’s hard to imagine, but I’d say this defense is better than what Marino had on his teams. If that’s even possible.
It is. At least this defense has some guys who can make a play once in a while. Those Olivadotti defenses were just plain slow and reactionary and rarely made splash plays / disruptive plays

The defense started slow last year too and dominated the end of the year. Hopefully they get healthier and the same thing happens.

Our 3rd down D was terrible. I don't know how many 3rd and longs they gave up but it was way too many. Thankfully the Dolphins don't play any more teams with running QBs except maybe Buffalo this year. But most teams have trouble stopping QBs like Jackson or Fields from running, especially on broken plays.

Yes Shula has to take some of the blame for not canning him.
Some? He takes it all. The last ten years of Shula were not good given who the QB was. He was an awful GM and was way too content to let the defense burn while Marino was in his prime.

Last edited:
It is. At least this defense has some guys who can make a play once in a while. Those Olivadotti defenses were just plain slow and reactionary and rarely made splash plays / disruptive plays
The secondary in the late 80s was laughably bad. This team’s defense is way more talented than the 80s one. Of course, the offenses have all been supercharged in the current era as well.

The mid 1980s didn’t win a title….but that doesn’t me and couldn’t have.

And factually, only one Dolphins team between 1983 and 1999 gave up more than 24 points per game….and no Dolphins team from 1987-1999 averaged scoring 25 points per game.
So this motivated me to look up league scoring over the years. Back in the Marino era 24 PPG would have been 20% > league average most years. Where scoring began going up was 2004 and 2007 respectively after the passing rule changes that allow everyone and their mother to throw for 4,000 yards and 30 TDs. Interestingly enough, scoring is down this year relative to the prior couple of seasons.

The secondary in the late 80s was laughably bad. This team’s defense is way more talented than the 80s one. Of course, the offenses have all been supercharged in the current era as well.
So was the pass rush. Those guys rarely ever got pressure. Offerdahl was the only good player on that D really

EXACTLY correct Fever. You’re starting to be as “right” as Ray (which is concerning).

Our defense Doesn’t have the same weapons as our offense. It was impossible to rebuild both sides of the roster in 1 off-season. We made the strategic right choice in going all in on building around Tua and our offense minded new coach.

Boyer can’t control injuries to out CBS and X possibly losing a step.
My only criticism of Boyer is our poor tackling, which has taken a step back from last year.
Our defense has 3 top 20 1st round picks and a bunch of 2nd round pick guys starting. Most of our 2022 salary cap is invested in defensive players even if guys like Hill and Armstead got big contracts. Ogbah, X, Baker, and Chubb are making a ton of money. Losing both Jones certainly hurts, but it’s wild to give our defensive staff a free pass for it. The team has 4 INTs in 9 games. Across the board players are underperforming. Our LBs can’t tackle to save their lives and in general they are out of position against the run all the time. That Fields run was literally Baker being garbage and not stopping him for a small gain. Didn’t even slow him down a step with a massive wiff.

The good old days where whoever had the ball last would win. Times where Miami would let them score to save time

Open field tackling, open field tackling. It was atrocious yesterday, and most of the year. It's infuriating to see defenders meet the ball carrier short of the sticks and MISS the tackle, only to see them fall forward for that extra foot they need for the 1st....and it's usually on third down 🤦‍♂️. I think it's fixable, but it definitely has to get better.

Justin Fields played the game of his career so far and he is a special talent, the second coming of Lamar Jackson and although it wasn't pretty on defense the team got it done, so we as fans can be glad of a victory, a 6-3 record is pretty good considering how the season has gone so far.

Those teams under Olivadotti still had Defensive talent. Guys like Louis Oliver, Jarvis Williams, Jeff Cross, Hugh Green, Offerdahl, were all solid players. Im sure there is more I cant recall right now, but it wasnt lack of talent, it was Olivadotti and his inability to adjust. Thank goodness we had Marino to bail us out.
Bryan Cox, Troy Vincent, Marco Coleman

Back
Top Bottom