Tom Olivadotti -Tell me its Not | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tom Olivadotti -Tell me its Not

Some? He takes it all. The last ten years of Shula were not good given who the QB was. He was an awful GM and was way too content to let the defense burn while Marino was in his prime.
The game passed Shula by to some degree. I remember as a fan thinking he needs to retire but at the same time feeling like I was having sacrilegious thoughts. It hurt to see him go but I think it was also necessary to improve. Just too bad JJ turned out to be fools gold.

Look at Beli, its almost the same situation. Great coach, way below average GM. Can only do so much with stout defense and running the ball in a passing league.

Both did better then they had less control on the draft.

Remember, scoring was not as high as it is now. Context
I was responding to what OP said, which was that the Dolphins of old were giving up 35 points. It wasn’t true. And if it scoring was lower, those dolphins team were still giving up 25 points and under every year.

There’s zero excuse for how pathetic Boyer is. Boyer is clearly the love child of Olivadoti. I’ve been saying he is Olivadoti 2.0 for a long time. Boyer needs to be ****ing fired at the end of the season. Time for a real DC!

People acting like we didn't have this same defense the last 3 years. The only difference is Byron Jones is injured and so is Nick Needham. The lack of pass rush is a schematic issue. You can tell because the same thing happened last year when Boyer was calling the plays. Boyer will never have this defense getting lots of sacks or turnovers. Some of you can't handle that fact.

We leave our dbs on an island too much and they don't have the talent to cover these WRs that long. If we had Byron Jones back it wouldn't change anything. Hopefully he will come back soon so some of you can stop using that excuse.

I was responding to what OP said, which was that the Dolphins of old were giving up 35 points. It wasn’t true. And if it scoring was lower, those dolphins team were still giving up 25 points and under every year.
Understood. There were obviously games where points were off the charts like 51-45 vs the Jets but that’s not an every week thing. Watching those late 80’s teams though - they just couldn’t get off of the field on 3rd downs. Teams were good at playing keep away from Marino at the time

The game passed Shula by to some degree. I remember as a fan thinking he needs to retire but at the same time feeling like I was having sacrilegious thoughts. It hurt to see him go but I think it was also necessary to improve. Just too bad JJ turned out to be fools gold.

Look at Beli, its almost the same situation. Great coach, way below average GM. Can only do so much with stout defense and running the ball in a passing league.

Both did better then they had less control on the draft.
Of course, it happens to all of them. Happened to Landry and Noll in the 80s. And Belichick is not winning any more championships in NE, not with that QB. The only reason Shula lasted into the mid-90s was because he drafted Marino. But that was the only thing he did. The early 80s team fell apart around Marino in his prime, and by the time Shula finally reloaded, the Bills had zipped past them. And Shula had no answer for the Bills, none: 0-3 in the playoffs against them, lost once in the wildcard, once in the divisional round, and once in the championship game.

I get the Olivadotti vibes as well, but unlike Shula, McCoachin' will not be as loyal, and jettison this guy sooner, rather than later.

So this motivated me to look up league scoring over the years. Back in the Marino era 24 PPG would have been 20% > league average most years. Where scoring began going up was 2004 and 2007 respectively after the passing rule changes that allow everyone and their mother to throw for 4,000 yards and 30 TDs. Interestingly enough, scoring is down this year relative to the prior couple of seasons.

I don't disagree, I was just pointing out that OP's statement of "Tell me im not reliving my 80's and 90's Dolphins of Marino 30 pts and Def giving up 35" wasn't factual.

In 260 games as a starter (including playoffs), Miami scored 30 or more points 74 times with Marino at QB. They won 61 of those games. It's not a big deal, I was just pointing out that was a rarity. With Tua, we still haven't lost a game where we scored 30.

I don't disagree, I was just pointing out that OP's statement of "Tell me im not reliving my 80's and 90's Dolphins of Marino 30 pts and Def giving up 35" wasn't factual.

In 260 games as a starter (including playoffs), Miami scored 30 or more points 74 times with Marino at QB. They won 61 of those games. It's not a big deal, I was just pointing out that was a rarity. With Tua, we still haven't lost a game where we scored 30.
Good stuff. 61-13 when scoring 30+ sounds pretty good. Except for the L vs the Jets 51-45. Eff that game

Cox was drafted in '91. Coleman and Vincent not until 1992. The defense was an absolute dumpster fire after 1985 while Marino was still the best qb in the game. They didn't start drafting even half-decent defensive players until 1989 with Louis Oliver and he wasn't a great. The one exception was John Offerdahl, the only great defensive player drafted by the Dolphins after their SB appearance in 1984 and before 1991.
Marino joined a team that was recently in the '82 Super Bowl, so they were pretty good. Dan's arm took them to the '84 Super Bowl, with help from what was left of the Killer Bs defense. After that, the defense started going downhill. We all know how Miami had no answer for Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas. That was a real shame, because with a better defense, it probably would have been Miami going to those SBs, and Marino would have a ring.

Good stuff. 61-13 when scoring 30+ sounds pretty good. Except for the L vs the Jets 51-45. Eff that game
I remembered one thing about that game; I thought that Miami lost because of a defensive pass interference against the Jets that wasn't called, but I just discovered I was wrong. I just watched the end of the game on Youtube, and the non-call wasn't pass interference, it was a fumble. Miami kicked off to the Jets in OT, and the Jets returner fumbled the ball when he got hit and Miami recovered it around the 20 yard line. After watching the replay, the announcers said that it was clearly a fumble, but the Officials let the Jets run a play to keep the ball (apparently, instant replay was new), and two or three plays later they scored a TD to win. If the Officials had correctly ruled it as a fumble or allowed instant replay to review the play, Miami could have easily kicked a FG to win.

Last edited:
I remembered one thing about that game; I thought that Miami lost because of a defensive pass interference against the Jets that wasn't called, but I just discovered I was wrong. I just watched the end of the game on Youtube, and the non-call wasn't pass interference, it was a fumble. Miami kicked off to the Jets in OT, and the Jets returner fumbled the ball when he got hit and Miami recovered it around the 20 yard line. After watching the replay, the announcers said that it was clearly a fumble, but the Officials let the Jets run a play to keep the ball (apparently, instant replay was new), and two or three plays later they scored a TD to win. If the Officials had correctly ruled it as a fumble or allowed instant replay to review the play, Miami could have easily kicked a FG to win.

Damn that’s some good memory. That may have cost us a playoff birth that year. Go figure. What a crazy game it was.

That was most definitely a fumble. Wow.

Marino joined a team that was recently in the '82 Super Bowl, so they were pretty good. Dan's arm took them to the '84 Super Bowl, with help from what was left of the Killer Bs defense. After that, the defense started going downhill. We all know how Miami had no answer for Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas. That was a real shame, because with a better defense, it probably would have been Miami going to those SBs, and Marino would have a ring.
Those Bills teams just had too many top tier players. As you say, had we some guys of the caliber of Bruce Smith and C Bennett we likely make a couple SB appearances between ‘90-‘95. At the end of the day, we were really the only team in the AFC that gave the Bills any trouble during that time. Problem was we were in the same division. ‘93 was a shame cause we were better than them I think. We had routed them at Orchard Park and were 4-1. Marino was playing his best ball since the ‘84 campaign when he went down. The Bills were on the tail end of their dominance and may have only been 10-6 that year if I recall correctly. I think ‘93 was the year - Turkey Day game and all.

Tell me im not reliving my 80's and 90's Dolphins of Marino 30 pts and Def giving up 35. Very concerned maybe im jumping the gun but 30+ to the Bears and Lions offense pushing us last week. These are not the Bills, Chiefs, Cowboys and Eagles offenses. Expected much better.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-play

The only bottom third offense we have faced so far this year is the steelers. Though Detroit do drop to the bottom third on points per play on a recent basis (last 3 games)

Back
Top Bottom