Tom Olivadotti -Tell me its Not | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tom Olivadotti -Tell me its Not

Shula's allegiance to Olivadotti led to him not being able to win another Superbowl.

I’m watching yesterday game and expecting the offense to die down cause they can’t score every drive. At the same time you’re hoping the defense gets some stops but they rarely did. Lions could’ve and should’ve won if not for non call in the end zone and the lions wr’s butterfingers. Not a good recipe for a team with playoff and Super bowl aspirations. Defensive guys has to get much better if they want to win playoff/super bowl.

Our defense has 3 top 20 1st round picks and a bunch of 2nd round pick guys starting. Most of our 2022 salary cap is invested in defensive players even if guys like Hill and Armstead got big contracts. Ogbah, X, Baker, and Chubb are making a ton of money. Losing both Jones certainly hurts, but it’s wild to give our defensive staff a free pass for it. The team has 4 INTs in 9 games. Across the board players are underperforming. Our LBs can’t tackle to save their lives and in general they are out of position against the run all the time. That Fields run was literally Baker being garbage and not stopping him for a small gain. Didn’t even slow him down a step with a massive wiff.
When every player is underperforming perhaps it’s coaching ?

When every player is underperforming perhaps it’s coaching ?
Kind of a mindless narrative - is every player underperforming? Let’s look.

Jaelin Phillips rookie year was NOT as good as his stat line. He got a bunch of sacks in a few games and most of them were lucky/because of someone else pressure/good coverage.

He’s performing much better this year.

Wilkins is having another solid year.

Sieler is doing excellent.

Interior DL has been consistent at stopping the run all season.

Duke Riley is having an excellent year and has been a HUGE surprise.

Jevon Holland is following up his rookie campaign with another very solid year.

Kohou has been a really great surprise to the defense.

Ingram has not regressed since joining us.

That’s ALL positives… but there has to be some negatives right?

Ogbah… what happened? Apparently injured.

X… up and down this season… apparently injured.

Byron Jones… our 2nd highest paid defender coming in hasn’t played a game.

Needham… excellent last season.. out for the year.

Brandon Jones… was ALSO improved this year… out for the year.

Baker … you can say he took a step back, I suppose… but he’s also having to do more coverage and dirty work because we are thin in other areas and don’t have anyone good at coverage in the middle. The staff must think he’s okay cause he plays 100% of the snaps every game.

So what is it? Who is regressing? Is it coaching? Or maybe it has nothing to do with coaching at all…

Kind of a mindless narrative - is every player underperforming? Let’s look.

Jaelin Phillips rookie year was NOT as good as his stat line. He got a bunch of sacks in a few games and most of them were lucky/because of someone else pressure/good coverage.

He’s performing much better this year.

Wilkins is having another solid year.

Sieler is doing excellent.

Interior DL has been consistent at stopping the run all season.

Duke Riley is having an excellent year and has been a HUGE surprise.

Jevon Holland is following up his rookie campaign with another very solid year.

Kohou has been a really great surprise to the defense.

Ingram has not regressed since joining us.

That’s ALL positives… but there has to be some negatives right?

Ogbah… what happened? Apparently injured.

X… up and down this season… apparently injured.

Byron Jones… our 2nd highest paid defender coming in hasn’t played a game.

Needham… excellent last season.. out for the year.

Brandon Jones… was ALSO improved this year… out for the year.

Baker … you can say he took a step back, I suppose… but he’s also having to do more coverage and dirty work because we are thin in other areas and don’t have anyone good at coverage in the middle. The staff must think he’s okay cause he plays 100% of the snaps every game.

So what is it? Who is regressing? Is it coaching? Or maybe it has nothing to do with coaching at all…
What are you basing this evaluation on? I see guys like Sieler who look like they are having solid seasons but I don’t know how we can say player by player guys are doing as good as last year or better. There are fewer takeaways, fewer sacks, fewer impact plays - so something has regressed, no?

Write Wade Phillips a blank check to coach for 2-3 years.
Yup I agree - checked his current status and he's a head coach in the XFL I think - Houston...would love to see his defensive prowess on our sidelines. He would have a lot of toys to work with. Also google searched Boyer's rise to fame as a defensive coach. Typical Patriot lineage - went from nothing to "something" in a meteoric rise within the Evil Empire - much like Flo. Tell me how former Patriot coaches have worked out in the last few years - including McDaniels and his Vegas Raidaz. I think he's the next fire after today's axing of Frank Reich. Wade Phillips knows the 3-4 inside out.

Bryan Cox, Troy Vincent, Marco Coleman
Cox was drafted in '91. Coleman and Vincent not until 1992. The defense was an absolute dumpster fire after 1985 while Marino was still the best qb in the game. They didn't start drafting even half-decent defensive players until 1989 with Louis Oliver and he wasn't a great. The one exception was John Offerdahl, the only great defensive player drafted by the Dolphins after their SB appearance in 1984 and before 1991.

Tell me im not reliving my 80's and 90's Dolphins of Marino 30 pts and Def giving up 35. Very concerned maybe im jumping the gun but 30+ to the Bears and Lions offense pushing us last week. These are not the Bills, Chiefs, Cowboys and Eagles offenses. Expected much better.

Has anyone ever looked to see what those offenses that we think are trash have done against other previous teams?

It’s not to excuse the D but to provide perspective.

Lions were one of the top offenses in the league. Bears score on Patriots and Cowboys.

What are you basing this evaluation on? I see guys like Sieler who look like they are having solid seasons but I don’t know how we can say player by player guys are doing as good as last year or better. There are fewer takeaways, fewer sacks, fewer impact plays - so something has regressed, no?
Yeah absolutely. I would say we weren’t getting ANY pressure on the quarterback for the first half of the season.

Ogbah regressed A LOT. Like I said, he’s injured. He was your best pass rusher coming in and he was only “ok” at it. We had high hopes Phillips was going to take a step forward and he has started to.

You’re not getting interceptions because when X is playing good coverage they’re throwing at the guy across from him. Whether it’s a rookie or whoever.

Less interceptions as a result because the coverage is overall playing more conservative/soft so we aren’t getting coverage pressures, either.

Everything regresses when you have to play a softer defensive scheme because 2 of our 3 starting CBs are out and our starting SS who was coming on strong is out.

The situation is amplified by Ogbah being absolutely useless this year. Look how few snaps they gave him this week because we had Chubb - the dude needs a couple weeks to HOPEFULLY get better.

It’s very obvious that injuries have effected how we call the defensive game.

It also shows that we are doing a good job coaching up these back up CBs to be serviceable.

Getting Chubb should hopefully make us look better.

Would love Fangio also but I think he's waiting for another HC job.

I've mentioned (Former TCU HC) Gary Patterson coming in as consultant before.

One other consultant to conider.... Rocky Long who keeps going back & forth from New Mexico to San Diego St.

I won't play the homer card and mention picking Kyle Whittingham's brain.

Has anyone ever looked to see what those offenses that we think are trash have done against other previous teams?

Lions were one of the top offenses in the league. Bears score on Patriots and Cowboys.
Top offenses? In the two games before playing the Dolphins, the Lions scored zero points and six points, no touchdowns. This past week, they won but only scored 15 points against a bad GB team. Miami’s defense will be their undoing, but there’s nothing that can be done about it at this point.

Top offenses? In the two games before playing the Dolphins, the Lions scored zero points and six points, no touchdowns. This past week, they won but only scored 15 points against a bad GB team. Miami’s defense will be their undoing, but there’s nothing that can be done about it at this point.

Why don’t you take a second to look at their entire season body of work before posting.

I clearly said this isn’t excuses the D

How DARE you bring common sense and logic here

Back
Top Bottom