Tough To Not Want Daboll With Dorsey In The Sidecar After That Defeat Of NE | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tough To Not Want Daboll With Dorsey In The Sidecar After That Defeat Of NE

Not sure on this one. I believe Daboll would greatly improve our offense but unless he can put together a great staff I am concerned that we will be doing this again in a few years.
The good thing about Daboll unlike other first time candidates is that he has been around and has tons of experience. He's been coaching in the NFL for almost 20 years. Of course that brings up another question as to why hasn't he been a HC before and has he only gotten this because he's linked with a top tier QB?

I put this in the Other Daboll thread as wel.

Now I do want to caution.

If you are looking at Allen’s Development that wasn’t all Daboll. It was Allen and Palmer mostly. However Daboll and Dorsey worked close with Palmer and Allen to give what they wanted Allen to work on every offseason. Then Allen dedicated the work with Palmer. He would send his entire offseason with Palmer working on those bullets to improve on.

Then Allen also called two or three camps as well in offseason to work with the WRs. Knox made a comment before the season that is was like they never have an offseason because of Allen is working they all want to work.

What I will say about Daboll like any OC there will be those head scratcher calls. But those are expected happens everywhere. However Dabolls passing concepts are amazing. Lot of Choice routes deep rubs combo routes a lot.

Also the player absolutely love Daboll. Because he takes all their input and builds the game plan he doesn’t do it in a vacuum. Allen and Diggs has mentioned this Diggs in particular that he loves that Daboll takes the players input.

I don’t know how he will turn out as a HC but I know he is a legit candidate all over the league. And unlike some other hot coordinators like a Bieniemy this is Dabolls offense he has total authority and independent authority of the offense. McD give intent and makes the calls to go for it on 4th but no input in plays or design he stays out of it.

I do think he will be a good coach for any team however you can never tell until they get the chance.

Let’s face it, most of every candidate is a downgrade at HC. In spite of everything souring near the end, he came out with two winning seasons and enough experience to get a lot of respect. Based on credibility alone, Flores has an edge over that. We are looking for a HC material, and are just asking for another Cam Cameron.
That is sarcasm right? Flores is average at best, his record proves that. He's very bad at building a staff, not a good gameday manager, and has never been able to get the offense going. Other than that yeah I cab see your point. ;)

The good thing about Daboll unlike other first time candidates is that he has been around and has tons of experience. He's been coaching in the NFL for almost 20 years. Of course that brings up another question as to why hasn't he been a HC before and has he only gotten this because he's linked with a top tier QB?
Isn’t that the same though with most OCs. Can go decades until they get that QB. Then boom Name jumps to tops of lists.

Daboll has been an offensive coordinator for 8 seasons. In 6 of the years he oversaw offensives that were bottom or near the bottom pack in points and yards. The last two years he has overseen offenses that were top 5 in each.

2009-10 Cleveland: Impossible situation. Eric Mangini was the coach. Games started primarily by Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson, Colt McCoy, and Seneca Wallace. 2010 was the Peyton Hillis pro bowl year if you remember. Absolutely no passing game. They managed some semblance of a running game. Bottom 3 offenses in both yards and points.

2011 Dolphins: Impossible situation. Tony Sparano fired midseason. If people remember Henne was actually passable as a QB before he got injured, it was just overshadow by the 0-4 start. Reggie Bush puts up the best numbers of his career, over 1k yards on 5 ypc. Team is sacked a ridiculous 52 times. Also, this is the Marc Colombo year. Offense finishes 22 and 20 in yards and points.

2012 Chiefs: Impossible situation. Brady Quinn and Matt Cassell at QB. Romeo Crennell fired after 1 season. Jamaal Charles puts up 1500 yards on the ground. 32nd in points. 24th in yards. Nothing more to say just a disaster.

2018-21 Bills: Basically only time since Cleveland he's been given multiple years in the NFL. Started out as a bottom of the pack offense, but now they developed into one of the best in the league. First time in his career he's gotten positive QB play (you can look at this as either a positive or a negative IMO). Not going to discuss too much since it is recent history.

Conclusion: He was considered a low level coordinator until Josh Allen's emergence. Always took the worst job available because he wanted to stay as a coordinator and his success was reflective of the talent. Oversaw some bad QB play, but also oversaw some QB play that exceeded their talent (Henne and Moore). Not my first choice that is for sure.
Looks like he was trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shiit.

Isn’t that the same though with most OCs. Can go decades until they get that QB. Then boom Name jumps to tops of lists.
Yes and many of those flop. It's guys like Shanahan and McVay that I want. Those guys were very successful with multiple QB's

I put this in the Other Daboll thread as wel.

Now I do want to caution.

If you are looking at Allen’s Development that wasn’t all Daboll. It was Allen and Palmer mostly. However Daboll and Dorsey worked close with Palmer and Allen to give what they wanted Allen to work on every offseason. Then Allen dedicated the work with Palmer. He would send his entire offseason with Palmer working on those bullets to improve on.

Then Allen also called two or three camps as well in offseason to work with the WRs. Knox made a comment before the season that is was like they never have an offseason because of Allen is working they all want to work.

What I will say about Daboll like any OC there will be those head scratcher calls. But those are expected happens everywhere. However Dabolls passing concepts are amazing. Lot of Choice routes deep rubs combo routes a lot.

Also the player absolutely love Daboll. Because he takes all their input and builds the game plan he doesn’t do it in a vacuum. Allen and Diggs has mentioned this Diggs in particular that he loves that Daboll takes the players input.

I don’t know how he will turn out as a HC but I know he is a legit candidate all over the league. And unlike some other hot coordinators like a Bieniemy this is Dabolls offense he has total authority and independent authority of the offense. McD give intent and makes the calls to go for it on 4th but no input in plays or design he stays out of it.

I do think he will be a good coach for any team however you can never tell until they get the chance.
Right, Daboll has potential, but the problem is that many of the big plays from that offense come from Josh Allen’s physical freak-ness. He would have a much more limited skill set with Tua to work with, so the offense would be different (obviously he worked with him at Bama). I also want to emphasize your point about the single most important reason for Josh Allen’s transformation is the work he put in with Jordan Palmer in the off-season.

We were intrigued by Flores when he was the patriots defensive coordinator also . I mean I wouldn't be mad if we got him . He would probly be my 3rd or 4th choice.
I agree he’s probably 3rd choice behind Pederson and Harbaugh for me, but Dabol and Flores aren’t comparable. Dabol actually runs the offense in Buffalo. In NE, Belichick runs the defense.

Wow. Bills curbstomped the Pats in the playoffs. After watching that gameplan and Allen's mastery of it, it's tough to not want Daboll and Dorsey down here. What were your thoughts fresh off watching that beatdown last night regarding the offensive scheme and how it painted Daboll knowing he's interviewing for HC today?
Only problem is Buffalo has Allen -- 6-5 big strong fast rocket arm intelligent etc. and we got li'l Tua.

Just a tad of a difference in terms talent at the QB position.

Yesterday didn’t change my opinion of Daboll. He has a long track record with limited success. He now has a QB who has worked extremely hard outside the confines of the organization to improve his deficiencies - he’s actually improved his accuracy drastically, which is something “experts” had claimed wasn’t possible.

I have no doubt that Daboll has done a good job with the Bills offense. I don’t believe that necessarily means he will be a successful head coach.

Pederson
Harbaugh
Quinn
Caldwell

Daboll is in the group of coordinators with no prior head coaching experience (Moore, Leftwich, etc.).

My concern with Daboll is what his staff would look like. With a first time head coach, I think the main goal is to get someone on staff with head coaching experience. The only guys I know of that Daboll has connections to who fits that is David Culley, Bill O’Brien, Mike Nolan, and Matt Patricia. Not a great list there. I have the same concern with McDaniel.

Only problem is Buffalo has Allen -- 6-5 big strong fast rocket arm intelligent etc. and we got li'l Tua.

Just a tad of a difference in terms talent at the QB position.
I live in NY and see the Bills on TV every week. That assessment of Allen is far from reality. Allen is terrible at processing reads quickly. In his first 2 seasons, when the Bills asked him to play hero ball, he made some of the most hilariously bone-headed choices. His accuracy was all over the place. They brought in Diggs and fixed their OL and now he can show off his elite physical traits. He has all day to sit behind his OL and let his WR get open. Tua may never be elite, but get him a top 5 WR and give him 4 seconds to throw every play and he will certainly win us some games.

Back
Top Bottom