Trade for Tristan Wirfs ? (Just an idea) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade for Tristan Wirfs ? (Just an idea)

What would you be willing to give up for Wirfs?

• 1st Round Pick

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • 2nd and Austin Jackson

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • 3rd and Austin Jackson

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Not willing to trade for him

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • Other

Votes: 10 10.8%

• Total voters
I proposed this last year, when it was actually doable and made a lot of sense for both teams. Now it’s trickier with AJ signed to an extension, although his signing bonus wasn’t very big.

It would’ve made a lot of sense for both teams and Miami would’ve gotten the premier RT and TB would’ve been able to get draft capital and save some money on a OT (who could play on either side) in return. I think a lot of people believe Jackson is better than he actually is. He's in that average category, we could do a lot better than him but we could also do a lot worse than him. His contract reflects that.

TB moved Wirfs to LT last year and I remember he was having a lot of anxiety about it. He even had to see the team psychologist to deal with that anxiety. Wirfs is definitely a better RT than LT. And that’s a problem for TB as they have to pay him like he’s just as good a LT as he is a RT.

Again, its probably a year too late to think about this but I would trade Jackson and a second for Wirfs in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Newsflash - Austin Jackson played well last season and is not considered a draft bust. He made significant progress under Coach Butch Barry and there is good logic to suggest that this can continue. Wirfs is a real talent but do you honestly expect Tampa will try to accommodate this? This is a laughable B/S fantasy idea. Miami has a string of really good players to re-sign for the future. These players include Tua Tagovailoa, Jaelan Phillips, Jevon Holland and Jaylen Waddle. Keeping all of these key drafted players for the future is the priority, not scampering and overpaying to acquire Wirfs.

Last edited:
I proposed this last year, when it was actually doable and made a lot of sense for both teams. Now it’s trickier with AJ signed to an extension, although his signing bonus wasn’t very big.

It would’ve made a lot of sense for both teams and Miami would’ve gotten the premier RT and TB would’ve been able to get draft capital and save some money on a OT (who could play on either side) in return. I think a lot of people believe Jackson is better than he actually is. He's in that average category, we could do a lot better than him but we could also do a lot worse than him. His contract reflects that.

TB moved Wirfs to LT last year and I remember he was having a lot of anxiety about it. He even had to see the team psychologist to deal with that anxiety. Wirfs is definitely a better RT than LT. And that’s a problem for TB as they have to pay him like he’s just as good a LT as he is a RT.

Again, its probably a year too late to think about this but I would trade Jackson and a second for Wirfs in a heartbeat.
Jackson is still only 24 and improving. He's going into his 5th year and he's only 15 months older than Verse and Latu who where just drafted. The Dolphins would be stupid to trade Jackson imho and they got him on a very team friendly deal.

I get that Wirfs is pretty young as well but the Dolphins have Jackson under contract at $4.5M, $13.8M and $13.8M for the next 3 seasons. Unless Wirfs can play LT successfully he's not going to be worth the contract the Bucs are going to have to give him. He's counting $18M this season and I'm assuming the new deal will be pushing $25M per season.

This.

And Holland is likely going to get paid this offseason. Waddle I’d assume before the season is over. Phillips next offseason.

We need to be keeping our premium picks and if anything, adding to that.

Of course there are certain players that you have to be willing to break that for, but not a right tackle that is going to break the bank with a new contract.
Reading the Tea leaves, I don't have much faith Holland gets extended anytime soon. His comment yesterday about just being an "employee" implies to me, that they havnt even started talking about his extention.

The days of trading picks for expensive players are over IMHO. It’s all about the draft for the next five years or so, and that’s the way I like it.
Bottoms Up Cheers GIF by CBS

Reasons talked about this last night on his YouTube channel. He was very emphatic about the value of this trade. I'm not sure how everyone feels about him he can be very abrasive (reason) and pats himself on the back all the time. If you can look past that he is pretty informative. The way he was setting it up is Jackson sliding over to the left side and Wirf taking over at right tackle. His reasoning, pun intended, this would take all the pressure off of Paul this season and possibly next.

Reasons talked about this last night on his YouTube channel. He was very emphatic about the value of this trade. I'm not sure how everyone feels about him he can be very abrasive (reason) and pats himself on the back all the time. If you can look past that he is pretty informative. The way he was setting it up is Jackson sliding over to the left side and Wirf taking over at right tackle. His reasoning, pun intended, this would take all the pressure off of Paul this season and possibly next.

That's overkill. If you're trading for Wirfs, Austin Jackson is going to Tampa, for a multitude of reasons. with the primary one being that the Bucs would need a start Tackle. TB wouldn't make the trade if they didn't get AJ back in the deal.

You'd also want to remove Jackson's salary from the books in 2025 and 2026 (which aren't guaranteed as of now) to make room for Wirfs's contract. You'd have to live with Armstead/Paul for 2024 as the LT's and with Lamm on the roster, that's more than acceptable.

RT is the second most important position on our football team so getting an All-pro caliber player has to at least be considered when the current RT is just an average starter. I doubt Harold Landry would've been the AFC defensive player of the week if we had Wirfs at RT instead of Austin Jackson. While two of Landry's three sacks came on stunts, I am pretty sure the first of the three came when Landry just barreled right over Jackson en route to a sack, IIRC. I’ve been looking for a clip of that play since that game was played and haven’t been able to find it.

I doubt any team in the league would value Wirfs more than the Dolphins would. Atlanta is the only other team that's invested in a left handed QB (Penix) and he's still a year or two away from starting and they similarly re-signed their former first round pick, Kaleb McGary, to a deal very close to what Jackson got. Also being that they are division rivals, no one would expect them to make a trade like this.

I think Tampa is in a tricky situation with Wirfs, paying him like an elite LT isn't prudent, especially since they've dished out so much money this off season already.

Last edited:
That's overkill. If you're trading for Wirfs, Austin Jackson is going to Tampa, for a multitude of reasons. with the primary one being that the Bucs would need a start Tackle. TB wouldn't make the trade if they didn't get AJ back in the deal.

You'd also want to remove Jackson's salary from the books in 2025 and 2026 (which aren't guaranteed as of now) to make room for Wirfs's contract. You'd have to live with Armstead/Paul for 2024 as the LT's and with Lamm on the roster, that's more than acceptable.

RT is the second most important position on our football team so getting an All-pro caliber player has to at least be considered when the current RT is just an average starter. I doubt Harold Landry would've been the AFC defensive player of the week if we had Wirfs at RT instead of Austin Jackson. While two of Landry's three sacks came on stunts, I am pretty sure the first of the three came when Landry just barreled right over Jackson en route to a sack, IIRC. I’ve been looking for a clip of that play since that game was played and haven’t been able to find it.

I doubt any team in the league would value Wirfs more than the Dolphins would. Atlanta is the only other team that's invested in a left handed QB (Penix) and he's still a year or two away from starting and they similarly re-signed their former first round pick, Kaleb McGary, to a deal very close to what Jackson got. Also being that they are division rivals, no one would expect them to make a trade like this.

I think Tampa is in a tricky situation with Wirfs, paying him like an elite LT isn't prudent, especially since they've dished out so much money this off season already.
Well he claimed differently last night, I'm pretty sure you're projecting here, but you do have a point.

The team needs to have situational awareness right now...**** them picks is a viable push when your QB's on his rookie contract, and to be fair they were a 3 minute meltdown short of a real push, but that ship has sailed.

Now they're paying/about to pay market value for QB1, WR1, WR2, LT, RT, EDGE 1-2, CB1... +
future rookie contracts have basically become untouchable assets for this team.

Give them armstead. lololol That will tide them over for about 5 games.

Back
Top Bottom