Trade Idea: Xavien Howard to Detroit | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade Idea: Xavien Howard to Detroit

oh so yes, believe in coach Boyer to develop players.....man that mediocre thinking is what got us here in the first place. hey,. let's just trade all our good 6 players away for picks so we can TRADE those picks for a qb,....such a sustainable biz plan
Is this risky......100%. You are right a lockdown corner is very hard to find...but not as hard and not as valuable to a team as a franchise QB in my opinion. Boyer and Flores helped turned a nobody off the street in Needham into a serviceable number 2 corner. That means quite a bit to me. The business model as you mentioned in your previous posts is this: Play to your strengths and extract as much value as you can from them (developing the secondary) and take advantage of other teams biases/weaknesses (Detroits need to win now).

Detroit does not seem willing to pay Darius Slay, why would they want Howard's contract?
I was about to post this thread a few days ago and that news came out. I'm hoping it's a negotiation tactic but if not Xavien is a few years younger. I don't know to be honest it doesn't fall in line with the win now narrative so it kind of ruin's this whole idea haha

I don’t know if Howard is worth a first round pick because of his injury history since coming into the league. He just hasn’t been able to stay on the field for 16 games in 3 out of the 4 seasons he has been with the Dolphins. In fact he has only started 39 of the 64 games he has been a Dolphin. While he was an outstanding player in 2018, I don’t think another NFL team would give up a first round pick for him and I doubt the Lions would want to include him in a trade with the Dolphins for the third pick in the draft.

So in this scenario if I'm understanding this correctly, we would have the #3, #5, #18, #35, #39 and #56 in this years draft ...I would call the league office to send the trade in before I even ended the call with Detroit.

1a -Tua
1b -Okudah/Simmons/Wills
1c -Thomas/Wirfs/Chaisson

I don’t know if Howard is worth a first round pick because of his injury history since coming into the league. He just hasn’t been able to stay on the field for 16 games in 3 out of the 4 seasons he has been with the Dolphins. In fact he has only started 39 of the 64 games he has been a Dolphin. While he was an outstanding player in 2018, I don’t think another NFL team would give up a first round pick for him and I doubt the Lions would want to include him in a trade with the Dolphins for the third pick in the draft.
You are right this will be a tough sell for Grier. This is why I mentioned he has to put on his used car salesman hat to get this deal done. He will have to discount the negatives
- explain that we shut down Xavien because we were in a "rebuilding" year
- hopefully be able to show them evidence of why the domestic dispute wasn't his fault

and sell them on the positives
- you get him for 1 year at 7.725M with the remainder of his contract being probably quite affordable considering the cap will likely be going up a lot.
- still very much in his prime
- proven commodity

So in this scenario if I'm understanding this correctly, we would have the #3, #5, #18, #35, #39 and #56 in this years draft ...I would call the league office to send the trade in before I even ended the call with Detroit.

1a -Tua
1b -Okudah/Simmons/Wills
1c -Thomas/Wirfs/Chaisson

In this scenario I would go:
1.3 QB Tua
1.5 RT Jedrick Wills
1.18 EDGE AJ Epenesa
2.35 CB Jeff Gladney
2.39 SAF Antoine Winfield Jr.
2.56 CB Cam Dantzler
2.70 LT Lucas Niang

The Trade: Xavien Howard and 1st round (26th) for Detroit's 1st round (3rd overall) and 2nd (35th)

Why this makes sense for the Lions:
- This whole trade is based on the narrative that Matt Patricia and Bob Quinn are on the hot seat and are desperate to win this season. If Detroit wouldn't draft Tua because they are in win-now mode why would they want to endure a rookie cornerbacks struggles. Even though most draft pundits say Okudah is a sure thing there is always a chance he can't cut it in the NFL or potentially struggles a bit getting acclimated. With this trade they receive a Pro-bowl level corner who is relatively young that fits their system (similar system to ours) and move from a high second to late first on top of this.
- Although Xavien is not exactly at the value of Jalen Ramsey who went for 2 1sts I do believe he is worth a top 10 pick as top 10 corners don't grow on trees. With Xavien and assuming they keep Darius Slay they would have one of the top secondary's in the league.
- They have $44M in salary cap per Spotrac right now so they have the room.

Why this makes sense for the Dolphins:
- First off, Xavien is one of my favorite players but to secure our future QB and ensure that he is protected is worth the cost of losing him. Xavien has just recently dealt with off field issues and he is somewhat injury prone so Grier will have to put his used car salesman hat on to swing this deal with the Lions.
- I also believe in the ability of Josh Boyer to coach up 1 or 2 2nd round corners in this scenario. Without the strength of having Boyer I don't think this trade makes sense (I also think adding a veteran presence through free agency would help like a Byron Jones)
- To trade Xavien it would cost us $5.6M in dead Cap but also save us $7.725M.

What to do with these picks: With the 3rd overall we can take Tua and by keeping the 5th overall we can hopefully take Jedrick Wills, the right tackle that protected Tua's blindside at Alabama. If Wills isn't there we can potentially move back a few spots (7-12), still take a OT and pick up some more picks.

Do I think this happens: No, probably not but this is a slow time and I thought it would be fun to discuss. Let me know what you guys think.

Howard is a talent but Flores didn’t draft him. Someone mentioned in this thread said how can this be a good business model? It’s not under normal circumstances but this is not normal yet going into year two of this rebuild. If Flores feels he’s not his kind of player I say move on and draft your guy. At some point I would question Flores if he’s doing this two years from now. But right now Howard is constantly banged up with a hefty contract. If Flores keeps him I’m fine with that also. If he is traded nothing less than a number one.

In this scenario I would go:
1.3 QB Tua
1.5 RT Jedrick Wills
1.18 EDGE AJ Epenesa
2.35 CB Jeff Gladney
2.39 SAF Antoine Winfield Jr.
2.56 CB Cam Dantzler
2.70 LT Lucas Niang
It's tough for me to figure out which Edge I like more between Epenesa and Chaisson. Epenesa just has that Patriot defender feel to him that I think Flores would covet, but Chaisson is such a freak. I wouldn't be upset with either. Winfield in the 2nd HAS to happen no matter what trade scenarios occur, he makes too much sense and I like him better than Davis and Niang would be sweet at 70 as well. I would be pretty f*cking stoked if the draft fell this was honestly

( Pick # 5, Pick #26, and Xavien Howard) for ( Pick #3, and Darius Slay.)

Not happening but I would do it.

Back
Top Bottom