Trading For Jakeem Grant Would Mean Low-risk, High-reward For Saints | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trading For Jakeem Grant Would Mean Low-risk, High-reward For Saints

I hate to bring Tannehill's name up again, but the numbers Tannehill put up would be much less if he didn't have Landry to bail him out.
Just like every other WRs that moved on to different teams, Landry's numbers didnt improve without Tannehill...

None of that means anything though. Flores didn't even have time to go through the roster.

He probably isn't getting traded, but to act like his spot is locked up because he's earned it isn't much a beleiveable opinion either.
I disagree. I'm confident that Flores and Grier have already spoken about personnel, before and after he was named Head Coach. That doesn't mean he's certain on all of his decisions, but he probably has at least put the guys in the posters on his initial "keep" list. My guess is that Xavien Howard either is not yet decided, being dangled to see how much we could get for him, or this is part of the negotiation tactics. I did hear that Howard is still up in the elevator though, so who knows.

Regardless, if I'm Jakeem Grant, and I'm one of the select few who were included in that, I'm jumping for joy right now. Seeing Julian Edelman--a good but not great slot receiver IMHO--receive the Super Bowl MVP trophy, and then Grant gets a vote of confidence … it's gotta be a good feeling for a guy who spent his entire career thus far trying to prove himself.

I disagree. I'm confident that Flores and Grier have already spoken about personnel, before and after he was named Head Coach. That doesn't mean he's certain on all of his decisions, but he probably has at least put the guys in the posters on his initial "keep" list. My guess is that Xavien Howard either is not yet decided, being dangled to see how much we could get for him, or this is part of the negotiation tactics. I did hear that Howard is still up in the elevator though, so who knows.

Regardless, if I'm Jakeem Grant, and I'm one of the select few who were included in that, I'm jumping for joy right now. Seeing Julian Edelman--a good but not great slot receiver IMHO--receive the Super Bowl MVP trophy, and then Grant gets a vote of confidence … it's gotta be a good feeling for a guy who spent his entire career thus far trying to prove himself.

I gotta think Flores absolutely wants to keep X. He's exactly the type of press DB type Flores has been coaching up in NE. Plus when you look around and see we have no one outside of Howard(McCain doesn't count) I suspect they will end up keeping X.

I love Grant. But he's not Edelman for two reasons that I hate to admit it.

1) Edelman runs some GREAT routes and understands how to get open. He really understands leverage and how to use it to his advantage.
2) The guy is as tough as it comes in the league. He's a lot stronger than he's given credit for and that allows him to take some serious shots.

Grant can obviously continue to get better at #1. But his size limits him when it comes to #2.

Some small guys are built stout and it helps them to absorb hits. But, Grant is built on a small frame and slot the position would cut into his NFL life, significantly!

Last edited:
I gotta think Flores absolutely wants to keep X. He's exactly the type of press DB type Flores has been coaching up in NE. Plus when you look around and see we have no one outside of Howard(McCain doesn't count) I suspect they will end up keeping X.

I love Grant. But he's not Edelman for two reasons that I hate to admit it.

1) Edelman runs some GREAT routes and understands how to get open. He really understands leverage and how to use it to his advantage.
2) The guy is as tough as it comes in the league. He's a lot stronger than he's given credit for and that allows him to take some serious shots.

Grant can obviously continue to get better at #1. But his size limits him when it comes to #2.

Some small guys are built stout and able to absorb hits. But, Grant is built on a small frame and slot position would cut into his NFL life significantly.
All true. But Jakeem Grant has the best start-stop quickness in the NFL, and has elite speed. Get him the ball in space anywhere close to the amount Edelman gets it, and there will be an avalanche of TD's.

Just like every other WRs that moved on to different teams, Landry's numbers didnt improve without Tannehill...
Maybe the QB/coaching situation was in flux. He was still the leading WR on the team...Mayfield's safety blanket.

You can take that to the bank.

First of all, I said after he left

He stated things like- how Tannehill never had throwing sessions with his receivers, never hung out with them, etc.. and then proceeded to delete everything off of his instagram that showed anything of the sort. I believe he made some kind of comments about being around "a real qb and teammate" or something like that too- referring to Tyrod- not baker.

We've seen / heard of them getting together (all the wr's) and getting some practice in the off season, Tannehill even taking dudes out on his boat to go fishing. But nope, he's immediately vilified and all this **** thrown out for no reason other than Landry had some sour grapes and we wouldn't pay him his ridiculous contract demands.
He had sour grapes with Tannehill because in all this calling about throwing sessions and boat rides, not one call was made to Landry after his release, the WR who most helped him through his years here.

If you can't call a teammate who helped you become the type of QB who some believed was worth $100 million, I doubt if any phone calls were made to ride on the boat with him, or come to tgrowing sessions.

If there is footage that Stills has and Landry was there...show it. If there is footage that Tannehill has and Landry was there...show it.

Is it Tannehill's fault for any of this? No...he was just a pain dressed up as a leader, to be sacrificed for the Gase narrative...but this all stems from question asked Landry...if he had heard from Tannehill since his trade.

All true. But Jakeem Grant has the best start-stop quickness in the NFL, and has elite speed. Get him the ball in space anywhere close to the amount Edelman gets it, and there will be an avalanche of TD's.

You're not taking into account the number of shots Edelman takes and Grant would too by virtue of that position.

Now, of course, it helps to be suspended for PEDs that no one is talking about when he was given the SB MVP trophy.

IMO, If you're "caught" cheating then you shouldn't be qualified to receive the NFL highest award at the end of the season.

It's a bad look!

If there is footage that Stills has and Landry was there...show it. If there is footage that Tannehill has and Landry was there...show it.
Dude all those pics were on Landry's own twitter account, he deleted them after making those comments... This is not some conspiracy theory... It's a fact

You're not taking into account the number of shots Edelman takes and Grant would too by virtue of that position.

Now, of course, it helps to be suspended for PEDs that no one is talking about when he was given the SB MVP trophy.

IMO, If you're "caught" cheating then you shouldn't be qualified to receive the NFL highest award at the end of the season.

It's a bad look!
Nah, I think given the routes Edelman runs, Grant wouldn't be facing safeties the same way he would in Gase's system. In the New England system they get the ball on crossing patterns a lot pas the LB's and well beneath the safeties, so its more running parallel to the WR that gets him tackled or forced out of bounds, so the hits aren't quite as bad really. By the time the slot guy is at the safety level, the safety is trying to wrap him up or push him out of bounds, because he's going to be afraid to take someone as shifty as Grant 1v1 in open space most of the time. Remember, Edelman catches a lot of very short routes.

You mentioned Edelman's route running earlier, and I meant to say that I agree wholeheartedly. Grant's routes aren't at that level, and until we get a hyper-precise QB (there isn't one in this draft btw), then this system isn't going to produce a ton of points … it requires too many things to go right to keep drives alive. Very good route running, WR's who execute picks well, and that dead-eye accurate QB with perfect timing. IMHO, not having the QB is what's going to limit Grant in the short term even more than his route running or the WR corps' ability to execute picks.

He had sour grapes with Tannehill because in all this calling about throwing sessions and boat rides, not one call was made to Landry after his release, the WR who most helped him through his years here.

If you can't call a teammate who helped you become the type of QB who some believed was worth $100 million, I doubt if any phone calls were made to ride on the boat with him, or come to tgrowing sessions.

Is it Tannehill's fault for any of this? No...he was just a pain dressed up as a leader, to be sacrificed for the Gase narrative...but this all stems from question asked Landry...if he had heard from Tannehill since his trade.
yeeeahhh.... okay. I'm not digging through a year's worth of stuff to try to find the threads discussing this. It's really not worth my time, your opinion isn't going to change. Is it so hard to believe that Landry is kind of an asshole?

why would u trade him. he is fast your not getting anything for him. he is dime of dozen player in nfl.

Edelman has basically been the deciding factor in two Super Bowls. There is zero chance I am pretending Jakeem Grant is on that level, even if I would keep Grant.

Edelman's pivot and dart in either direction is exceptionally rare. I have a couple of Seattle fans who are good friends of mine. They have never bemoaned the Wilson interception in that Super Bowl as much as the defense's failure to stop New England and specifically Edelman on the final two drives.

The Seahawks had a key injury in the secondary during that Super Bowl. New England smartly abused that weakness with Edelman. The stats weren't much different than this year. He had 9 catches in that game for more than 100 yards and a touchdown. Not many people remember there was a 3rd and 14 play in the middle of that 4th quarter with the Patriots inside their own 30 and trailing by 10. Fail on that play and the game might be gone. Brady hit Edelman for 21 yards. Then there was another 21 yard pass to Edelman on 3rd and 8 later in the drive. The winning touchdown was a short pass to Edelman on the same type of pivot play we saw in this year's Super Bowl.

Grant is a nice player but he isn't capable of being a prime target and taking over a game like that.

Back
Top Bottom