Tua played at 60% last year | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua played at 60% last year

PFF grades every NFL player on every play on a scale of -2 to +2 using half point increments.[6] The grades are based on context and performance. A four-yard run that gains a first down after two broken tackles will receive a better grade than a four-yard run on 3rd & 5, where the ball carrier does nothing more than expected. A quarterback who makes a good pass that a receiver tips into the arms of a defender will not negatively affect the quarterback's grade on that play, despite the overall negative result for the team. So it is better than pure stats such as TD/INT radio.

It is sudjective, however it has a straight set of rules. Way better than so call 'eye test'.
I agree with this... PFF is actually a good first look type of thing where if you dont have time to watch all NFL games every sunday, you can get a ball park on each player abilities. There's nothing finite about it, its just another tool you can use for comparing with your own analysis and statistics. In other words, if you need a quick opinion on a player you've never seen play, its likely to be more accurate than asking a casual fan who's only watched him 5-6 times in a season.

Using PFF + Statistics + your own alalysis is better than using any one on its own, as long as you understand each ones' strenghts and weaknesses IMO

PFF grades every NFL player on every play on a scale of -2 to +2 using half point increments.[6] The grades are based on context and performance. A four-yard run that gains a first down after two broken tackles will receive a better grade than a four-yard run on 3rd & 5, where the ball carrier does nothing more than expected. A quarterback who makes a good pass that a receiver tips into the arms of a defender will not negatively affect the quarterback's grade on that play, despite the overall negative result for the team. So it is better than pure stats such as TD/INT radio.

It is sudjective, however it has a straight set of rules. Way better than so call 'eye test'.
It is still based off the human eye and each human may see it different. You just copyed and pasted PFFs definition. They absolutely make a ton of errors when grading. As Michigan football fan there OL coach would give out best lineman of the week based off his grades. There was more then once that the top graded OL guy was graded as the worst by PFF. Who do you think knows more the actual coach who knows all the calls or PFF.

Plus with QBs they don't take reads into account. Example QB A throws a 20 yard completion into tight double coverage but on the other side of the field the WR was open at 5 yards with run to run for a big play. QB B had the same situation but threw it to the 5 yard guy who then took it for a TD. Under the so called PFF system QB a would get a 2 for a tight window throw over 20 yards. While QB B gets a 1 for making a simple throw that the WR did the work after it.

There is a reason that many knowledge football people don't like PFF so much. In the end it is there made up criteria and many people's opinions in how to apply it to each play and then putting #s to it and selling it as some advanced stat. It is not a stat it is an opinion based grade.

I agree with this... PFF is actually a good first look type of thing where if you dont have time to watch all NFL games every sunday, you can get a ball park on each player abilities. There's nothing finite about it, its just another tool you can use for comparing with your own analysis and statistics. In other words, if you need a quick opinion on a player you've never seen play, its likely to be more accurate than asking a casual fan who's only watched him 5-6 times in a season.

Using PFF + Statistics + your own alalysis is better than using any one on its own, as long as you understand each ones' strenghts and weaknesses IMO
This is pretty much what PFF is. I just hat when people call a fact or some advanced stat. It is a opinion based ranking system.

This is pretty much what PFF is. I just hat when people call a fact or some advanced stat. It is a opinion based ranking system.
It isnt fact... BUT if 2 people argue about a player, one is using the PFF ratings and the other has seen the player play a handful of times as a casual fan... The one using PFF is more likely to be right on average. Take me for example, I'd value my own opinion over PFF on Dolphins players but would trust PFF to be much closer to the truth than my opinion on any other players in the league, at least if I didnt have a solid understanding of actual NFL stats and how to use them in tandem as a comparative tool. Which I do. I simply cringe when I see guys who watch 1-5 NFL games a week thinking their opinion is 100% right while calling PFF trash. I think thats laughable TBH.

It isnt fact... BUT if 2 people argue about a player, one is using the PFF ratings and the other has seen the player play a handful of times as a casual fan... The one using PFF is more likely to be right on average. Take me for example, I'd value my own opinion over PFF on Dolphins players but would trust PFF to be much closer to the truth than my opinion on any other players in the league, at least if I didnt have a solid understanding of actual NFL stats and how to use them in tandem as a comparative tool. Which I do. I simply cringe when I see guys who watch 1-5 NFL games a week thinking their opinion is 100% right while calling PFF trash. I think thats laughable TBH.
Ya they are better then a casual fans opinion.

It is still based off the human eye and each human may see it different. You just copyed and pasted PFFs definition. They absolutely make a ton of errors when grading. As Michigan football fan there OL coach would give out best lineman of the week based off his grades. There was more then once that the top graded OL guy was graded as the worst by PFF. Who do you think knows more the actual coach who knows all the calls or PFF.

Plus with QBs they don't take reads into account. Example QB A throws a 20 yard completion into tight double coverage but on the other side of the field the WR was open at 5 yards with run to run for a big play. QB B had the same situation but threw it to the 5 yard guy who then took it for a TD. Under the so called PFF system QB a would get a 2 for a tight window throw over 20 yards. While QB B gets a 1 for making a simple throw that the WR did the work after it.

There is a reason that many knowledge football people don't like PFF so much. In the end it is there made up criteria and many people's opinions in how to apply it to each play and then putting #s to it and selling it as some advanced stat. It is not a stat it is an opinion based grade.
What you are saying is no system is perfect which I agreed. For the same reasoning, no single stats can reflect the totality of a QB performance. I.e. 6-3 record doesn't tell you about LV game. Howeve, PFF takes into account of reciver pop up the ball into DB's hand, as example I mentioned, is better than simply looking at TD/INT radio. So you can not just dismissed PFF just because it graded Tua in the bottom three.

What you are saying is no system is perfect which I agreed. For the same reasoning, no single stats can reflect the totality of a QB performance. I.e. 6-3 record doesn't tell you about LV game. Howeve, PFF takes into account of reciver pop up the ball into DB's hand, as example I mentioned, is better than simply looking at TD/INT radio. So you can not just dismissed PFF just because it graded Tua in the bottom three.
And I never said just dismiss PFF, I said you can't use it as fact or a stat like a lot of people try to.

from april last year...

"I feel 100 percent," Tagovailoa recently told NFL Network. "I feel like if there was a game today, I'd be able to go out and perform the same way I was able to perform in previous years. I feel as mobile as possible. I feel 100 percent."

from april last year...

"I feel 100 percent," Tagovailoa recently told NFL Network. "I feel like if there was a game today, I'd be able to go out and perform the same way I was able to perform in previous years. I feel as mobile as possible. I feel 100 percent."
This is what is known as... Lying your ass off.

from april last year...

Would u have expected him to say "I'm up to 60%, let's go" if we were to accept that it was true?

from april last year...

What else was he supposed to say around draft time?

"I'll never be the same"?

He might have even believed it at the time.

Back
Top Bottom