Tua vs. Herbert/Burrow | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua vs. Herbert/Burrow

I think my post was misunderstood...or maybe just poorly communicated. While I do not think Tua performed as well as Herbert or Burrow last year...I was trying to make the point that this comparison....which will always be there (especially in the media) given they were drafted within the first 6 picks last year is not really valid given the extenuating circumstances (covid and major injury) and the fact that they all have different strengths. Tua's promise will emerge over time as he builds chemistry with his wr group and can showcase his superior accuracy and anticipation. I actually feel very good about Tua this upcoming year and I think comparing him to Brees and Young is a pretty positive.

People mocked him for starting "another Tua thread", and stated "this is rediculous", etc. Someone else responded to him with STFU

It's not rediculous to question ANY player in the NFL who has yet to prove themselves. And Tua just happens to play the most important position on our favorite team, so, especially in the offseason, there's going to be a lot of conversation about him one way or the other.
I have the poster that posted ‘STFU’ on ignore, so I missed that one. Otherwise, you and I have different ideas of what constitutes an attack.

I have the poster that posted ‘STFU’ on ignore, so I missed that one. Otherwise, you and I have different ideas of what constitutes an attack.
there shouldn't even be an " ignore" option. we're football fans

Last edited by a moderator:
Attacking the poster for stating an opinion is totally classless.
Reality is anyone with a brain saw that Herbert and Burrow were clearly better on much poorer teams.
We all hope Tua gets better but the hate for those that cant accept a factual opinion is insane.

The standard I am concerned with is W/L. Hebert was on a team coming off a 5-11 record and went 7-9, Tua was on a team coming off a 5-11 record and he went 7-3. Winning is not just about stats. You take the numbers I will stick with the W's.
Common Sense right there but hey today’s 400 is yesterday’s 300 yard performance but like you I will take the Ws

Attacking the poster for stating an opinion is totally classless.
Reality is anyone with a brain saw that Herbert and Burrow were clearly better on much poorer teams.
We all hope Tua gets better but the hate for those that cant accept a factual opinion is insane.
Just fine but they were far from poorer teams / poorer HCs true

Found this interesting....not sure if it was posted before:

The chart below shows how the two quarterbacks performed on several of the most important statistics involved in calculating a quarterback’s OVM grade. Their intended air yards (IAY), their intended air yards exclusively on completions (CAY), how often they threw into tight windows (aggressiveness), their completion percentage, and their expected completion percentage according to the NFL’s calculations are all factored in.

IAYCAYAgg.Comp.%eComp.%
Herbert7.55.218%66.6%65.1%
Tua7.75.320.3%64.1%65.5%
Although some have portrayed Tua as a game manager, he was actually more aggressive than Herbert across the entire season. He threw into tight coverage over two percent more often than Herbert did. Additionally, he threw the ball slightly further downfield on both his completions and incompletions.

Meanwhile, despite his inconsistencies in college, Herbert was actually the more efficient quarterback. His completion percentage was about two percent higher than Tua’s, despite his expected completion percentage being slightly lower.

It is important to remember, however, that these differences are exceedingly minute. They paint an interesting picture, but ultimately the two quarterbacks were nearly identical in most ways relating to their advanced metrics.

I'm sure most would agree that if we could do it over, we draft Herbert. BUT Tua is our QB and we need to support him! Its madness the way this kid get constantly crucified for no reason (5 ints in the first day of mini-camp in a rain-storm? Who cares!). Both Tua and Herbert are humble, hard working, team first young men. They will both should have great careers.

I'm not so sure about that my friend

I think we got the QB we wanted
I hope you’re right, but what makes you so sure? What have you seen on the field so far that makes you think Tua was the right pick over Herbert?

The OP should revisit this thread when the Chargers and Bengals both draft in the top 15 again.

p.s. Cincy has a clown show for an HC
Bengals...maybe.

Chargers...unlikely. They are arguably better than us at practically every position on offense and with the return of Derwin James, are comparable to us on offense.

That said, I would put the Chargers WL total somewhere in our neighborhood.

Haven't seen enough to say for certain

Ask me again after this season
Then why do you you say you “think we got the QB we wanted?” we picked the player we wanted, so we obviously got the player we wanted, but I think you mean more than that. What have you seen on the field so far to justify your opinion?

Fair enough and I hope we got the QB we wanted also. But if I had a chance to redo, I go with the bigger, stronger, faster guy with smarts and humility. Don't mistake me, I believe in Tua who also has smarts and humility. I hope at the end of this season we all are singing the front offices praises for choosing him.

Back
Top Bottom