Tua Wasn't Comfortable Last Year | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua Wasn't Comfortable Last Year

I still cringe when people mention the 2 benchings... I mean do they seriously think Flores would've let Herbert finish a game VS the Pats where he lost 45-0?

Thats the most absurd argument against Tua's rookie year... There's plenty to improve on but Tua getting benched was a Flores thing not a Tua thing...
In both games I found myself pining for him to be benched - and then he was and I said “now we haven’t had a coach w balls like this since Shula”. And it wasn’t an anti - Tua thing. It was that we had a shot at the playoffs, 2 close games and our QB was struggling mightily to get a first down. And I can’t stand Fitz the player. If we weren’t in the playoff race you let Tua finish those games and let him play it out. But it was very Woodley being pulled for Strock in 1981 - which did work to a division title. Not only did I not have a problem with it, I applauded it. Even being fully aware Tua was the future - coach did what few coaches of today do - make a call w the QB that causes a media frenzy. Good on Flo. And does NOT reflect poorly on Tua at ALL in my opinion. Rookie learning curve had to be shortened up a couple of times and almost got us to the post season. I do t think Tua will be pulled this year as he’s starting the season as the no 1. So let him play all the way.

In both games I found myself pining for him to be benched - and then he was and I said “now we haven’t had a coach w balls like this since Shula”. And it wasn’t an anti - Tua thing. It was that we had a shot at the playoffs, 2 close games and our QB was struggling mightily to get a first down. And I can’t stand Fitz the player. If we weren’t in the playoff race you let Tua finish those games and let him play it out. But it was very Woodley being pulled for Strock in 1981 - which did work to a division title. Not only did I not have a problem with it, I applauded it. Even being fully aware Tua was the future - coach did what few coaches of today do - make a call w the QB that causes a media frenzy. Good on Flo. And does NOT reflect poorly on Tua at ALL in my opinion. Rookie learning curve had to be shortened up a couple of times and almost got us to the post season. I do t think Tua will be pulled this year as he’s starting the season as the no 1. So let him play all the way.
The reason Tua got pulled is directly connected to the reason Fitz got pulled IMO... I often see the argument that the offense was moving alot better when Fitz was playing, which is 100% true. Thing is its all relative to what the Fins had at the skill positions and how the defense ended up just getting TOs like they were free candy.

The offense did move better with Fitz but it also turned the ball over at almost double the rate compared to when Tua was the QB. And this is not on either QB TBH, Fins receivers were all guys who dont separate very well but will win contested catches very well, and most werent very good at getting yards after the catch. Moving an offense like that absolutely forces you to force throws and inevitably gets you a higher INT%. Its inevitable.

The defense playing like it did last year flat out told Flores: dont **** up on offense and we got this. There was alot of luck involved in there but it is what it is. In most games, the offense simply not turning the ball over was enough to get a W. You can tell Tua dont throw INTs and he wont, not sure you can pull that off with Fitz. Regardless, it really seems to me that Tua got pulled when the "Dont turn the ball over on offense = Win" clearly wasnt working. I think it was much easier to tell Fitz how to force it, as thats pretty much what he is, than try and teach Tua how to do it. If they even wanted to teach him that to begin with.

I think the staff knew their receiving options were highly unbalanced last year and instead of trying to teach Tua some bad habits for the sake of a playoffs spot, they opted to put Fitz in in those situations instead. Them adding Waddle and Fuller to this offense this off-season kind of validates that theory somewhat IMO.

This post is almost as gutless as Flores was in benching our franchise QB.

How anyone could support this is laughable.

Calling Tua a franchise QB is what's really laughable...

He is the starting QB...there's a difference.

The reason Tua got pulled is directly connected to the reason Fitz got pulled IMO... I often see the argument that the offense was moving alot better when Fitz was playing, which is 100% true. Thing is its all relative to what the Fins had at the skill positions and how the defense ended up just getting TOs like they were free candy.

The offense did move better with Fitz but it also turned the ball over at almost double the rate compared to when Tua was the QB. And this is not on either QB TBH, Fins receivers were all guys who dont separate very well but will win contested catches very well, and most werent very good at getting yards after the catch. Moving an offense like that absolutely forces you to force throws and inevitably gets you a higher INT%. Its inevitable.

The defense playing like it did last year flat out told Flores: dont **** up on offense and we got this. There was alot of luck involved in there but it is what it is. In most games, the offense simply not turning the ball over was enough to get a W. You can tell Tua dont throw INTs and he wont, not sure you can pull that off with Fitz. Regardless, it really seems to me that Tua got pulled when the "Dont turn the ball over on offense = Win" clearly wasnt working. I think it was much easier to tell Fitz how to force it, as thats pretty much what he is, than try and teach Tua how to do it. If they even wanted to teach him that to begin with.

I think the staff knew their receiving options were highly unbalanced last year and instead of trying to teach Tua some bad habits for the sake of a playoffs spot, they opted to put Fitz in in those situations instead. Them adding Waddle and Fuller to this offense this off-season kind of validates that theory somewhat IMO.
I agree w this 100%. And the turnover argument - it’s why I have never liked Fitz the player. Reality is, Tua had a better winning % than Fitz and a lot had to do w being able to take care of the football better. If Tua didn’t play in all of the games he did, we wouldn’t have won 10 IMO. He managed his starts well w some expected rookie struggles and he was the reason we beat the Cards as much as Fitz gets credit for that Raiders miracle.

There was a time franchise QBs got benched a lot. Unitas got benched, our own Bob Griese got benched. Terry Bradshaw got benched. Gutless is being too chicken **** to sit your franchise QB when he’s struggling. And by the way, benching our franchise QB in ‘81 and ‘82 got us two division titles and a SB berth. You have to know when to do it and be ready for the media and fan reactions. Flores has more guts than Philbin or Gase (who wouldn’t bench Cutler no matter how bad he sucked) combined and then some.

True dat... but wasn't the chargers hc being **** on because of his ineptness to know how to handle game time situations? Didn't he get fired?

You are correct, but does that count as an excuse or excuses only applied to Tua? Everyone will have an excuse for something, but the game still has to be played.

Last edited:
Tua played badly, he got benched. So what?

This year, he'll know the playbook, and his hip will actually be 100%. He has new receivers, new linemen... he'll be better this year.

Life as a Quarterback.

I'm not arguing your post but I think a better way to do so is to say something like, I had some short falls in my game last year, im doing everything I can to change that and be better this year. Something like that would suffice but he just threw a whole entire gas truck into the fire!
Perhaps, yeah. That’s with the benefit of hindsight, though. He’s still a 24 year old kid with a huge spotlight on him. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Agreed, there is a difference.

With that said, Tua is the Dolphins franchise QB.
A qb rank 26 to 29 in nfl. You call tua franchise qb..you got low standards for qb..Tua got show me more than what I saw last yr..I give him credit because he want be good. Got put it on field. Where it count

Last edited:
The "is TT good enough?" storm has 2 origins. One is valid and one is bogus.

The valid one is what Tua admitted to on film. He wasn't fully up to speed and playing from a limited playbook with no preseason and a healing body. He wasn't comfortable. That's mainly on him (though he couldn't have controlled the recovery part any better).

The bogus origin of controversy is his being handed the start and his subsequent benching.

Think about it. How many FOs would hand the keys to their rookie after what, 6 games when:
1) the starting QB is a vet playing a career season and fans love him
2) the team is finally winning games, playing well
3) the starting QB knows the OC's playbook inside out.
4) the rookie is coming off a career-threatening injury
5) the rookie had no preseason due to covid and limited access even to the facility
6) the playbook is new for the whole offense
7) there are 3 rookies on the offensive line and one new vet

Who does that? Who throws their rookie into that situation? Not many coaches, for sure.

But then, THEN, the coaches take another step down QB controversy lane and bench the rookie who went 6-3 in those horrifically challenging circumstances.

THEN, the vet QB throws the Braille Mary.

For chrissake, what more could have been done by the FO to the kid, to really forge the poor guy in flames??!

For that set of circumstances alone, i can't fathom why every fan isn't pulling for this kid and giving him all the benefit of the doubt in the world for this season coming. After that, sure let all bets be off. Unless of course the FO decides to cut one of his legs off to see how he copes with reduced mobility.
Another important fact is the guy they benched him for is no longer on the team. Lastly if the organization had serious doubts about Tua I'm sure they would have approached the draft differently.

Unreal! I'm reading some headline stuff nationally and it's crazy.

Tua's going to have to learn to start being much more coy and saying much less to the media. They take everything out of context and magnify everything...wow!

Another important fact is the guy they benched him for is no longer on the team. Lastly if the organization had serious doubts about Tua I'm sure they would have approached the draft differently.

Especially this FO that has shown over and over they have no problem doing what they feel is right. No matter what the opinions are out there.

If they felt Tua wasn't the guy or capable of being that guy. Then there is no way in hell they would have traded out of the #3 overall spot...Not this FO!

Back
Top Bottom