Tuck Rule is no more, no contact with crown of helmet | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tuck Rule is no more, no contact with crown of helmet

TealAttack13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
These new rules just passed.

No longer can any player initiate contact with the crown of their helmet outside of the tackle box. This one should get interesting. Most running backs default to doing so to break coverage and protect themselves. Now, if it is clear that he is using his helmet as a battering ram, they get called for a penalty. I suppose players safety is the most important thing but now they are hurting game play. I understand viscous helmet to helmet calls, but I think this is too much. You can only dismantle traditional play so much.

They also have done away with the tuck rule. This one I like. If the ball never leaves his hands, it isn't a pass. Who is to say he wasn't planning to pump fake and run with it? Glad the tuck rule is gone.

What do you all think?

I think there will be too many judgement calls made because of the helmet rule. That hurts the game. But I agree that player safety matters also.

Pansies....get out the flags...we won't be tackling in 10 years..

I just lost all interest in football. The game is DEAD. This sounds like flag..... you have to run with 2 hands on the ball and not swipe at the defeders hands to avoid them from grabbing your flag. Players must run upright.!!!!!
It is a natural reaction to lower yourself to protect yourself when someone is going to tackle you....
This is just really out of hand. I understand that we are protecting the players but certain aspects of the game just can't be changed. Do you see them changing boxing? NO. this would be like telling a boxer - if you got a guy on the ropes and he is hurt you can't finish him off with a hook or uppercut. It has to be a body blow!!!!!!

Helmet rule is gonna result in lots of dumb, judgment call type of penalties.

But glad the tuck rule is gone.

The new helmet rule is such a joke. The game of football is dying and everyone knows it. I believe it will be flag football in my lifetime.

look at how awful the refs judge safeties hitting receivers. That will now spill into RBs going against defensive players. Can't wait to get excited over a long or crazy run, only to see it come back because some super-scared official calls a leading with the crown of the helmet on the RB.

If it wasn't for the damn lawsuit brought on by the players I doubt the league would be trying so hard to minimize possible concussion situations. The owners passed it even though I bet the coaches and players don't like the rule because it shows the NFL cares and is trying to minimize health issues........all in the name of a court defense that may involve millions coming out of owners pockets.

I honestly hate Roger Goodell. There has never been a head figure in charge of a sport who's changed it for the worse in such a small period of time.

If this "rule" was always in place, Earl Campbell and Larry Czonka would have been expelled from the league. Not in the Hall of Fame and Ring of Honor.

So defensive players can't aim their helmet at the ball, in an attempt to cause a fumble?

Getting rid of the tuck rule is great. The helmet thing is ridiculous. If there is a defender between you and the first down or endzone how can you get it without lower your head and running someone over. I hate to see a guy get injured, paralyzed, have problems like concussions or brain issues. I think the suicides and depression and other similar issues are coincidentally related to brain injuries. Some of these players only know football and when it's time to hang it up, they can't fill that void. Mental health is an issue not just for athletes but for everyone. That's why I say coincidentally related. Football is a physical game and it needs to be safer but you have to draw a line. You can't avoid all injuries.

I'm sure the Patriots will get their fare share of the helmet calls going there way since the tuck is gone.

Just another judgement call by refs so they can control the games and make sure the the golden goose wins.

So if a football player commits suicide because he hated this new rule change, will they change it back?

Back
Top Bottom