Tuck Rule is no more, no contact with crown of helmet | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tuck Rule is no more, no contact with crown of helmet

I honestly hate Roger Goodell. There has never been a head figure in charge of a sport who's changed it for the worse in such a small period of time.

If this "rule" was always in place, Earl Campbell and Larry Czonka would have been expelled from the league. Not in the Hall of Fame and Ring of Honor.
There's absolutely nothing he can do about it. Everyone keeps blaming Goodell and the NFL for "pussifying" the league but all these former ex players are the ones "pussifying" the league. They are the ones who keep blaming the NFL for their healthy problems and concussions and every year the NFL faces new lawsuits from those players. That's why there's these changes, not because Goodell wants the NFL to be flag football but because they have to look like they care for player safety.

There's absolutely nothing he can do about it. Everyone keeps blaming Goodell and the NFL for "pussifying" the league but all these former ex players are the ones "pussifying" the league. They are the ones who keep blaming the NFL for their healthy problems and concussions and every year the NFL faces new lawsuits from those players. That's why there's these changes, not because Goodell wants the NFL to be flag football but because they have to look like they care for player safety.

Look, I get all that. I know it's all due to litigation. But this guy capitulates to pressure like no one I've seen and is changing the way the game has been played for 100 years.

I watched a game when I was just a little kid, I think I was 4-6 years old actually and I still recall the moment when Mike Utley was leveled on the field. You know how nasty that is for a guy my age, 4 years old, watching something like that happened on television? At that time I was thinking wow, this is a scary sport.

And it's those guys like Utley that are going to the court, showing cat scans, x-rays and etc and telling them their life is ruined, Tagliabue has done nothign for player safety, this game is played too violently. And some of these guys are actually winning these lawsuits and getting a lot of money for it.

That's why this change is happening, and so many other changes. Cause the NFL is getting backlash from what is considered "the glory years" - the type of football we all rather enjoy than this flag football skirts league.

Yeah this is freakin retarded. i cant believe they actually passed this. this is going to freak up the game more than any other rule passed imo. goodell absolutly has to quit caving into this pressure from stem from these litigation cases. this rule just sucks all around because to me it is both the players and owners fault. who do you blame more???

Ok now that the Tuck Rule is gone, can they take away the Super Bowl the Pats won because of it? :ponder:

this rule only would of been called 35 times last year let's not go overboard.

Who's going overboard? This isn't the only drastic change he's legislated since he's been commissioner. Again, I know it's because the NFL has a stack of lawsuits against them as high as the ceiling. But players didn't just begin getting injured, and changing rules for the public perception that the game is safer isn't going to stop ex players from suing. We live in a litigious society and nothing is going to change that.

The older players were not compensated they way players are today. So I can see why they would file lawsuits. Players today know the risks but want compensation and benefits that protect them when they are older. I think the NFL doesn't want to dish out the money for such benefits or player injuries. So the safer the game the less money the NFL has to set aside for benefits.

After listening to the explanation of the crown of the helmet stuff, I am ok with it.

Face mask and hairline can still be used.

Keep your head up!

I bet in five years you will not be allowed to use your helmet at all when you tackle...it's ruining the game.

The Immaculate Reception, one of the greatest plays in NFL history, happened because a Raider's defender used his helmet to knock the ball in the air, allowing Franco Harris to make a shoestring catch and run down the sidelines for a TD.

Ok now that the Tuck Rule is gone, can they take away the Super Bowl the Pats won because of it? :ponder:

Don't worry....Goodell will create a new rule for Tommy Brady.....why do you think Goodell is always shown sitting next to Robert Kraft in his private suite at Gillette Stadium.

Back
Top Bottom