Tuck Rule is no more, no contact with crown of helmet | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tuck Rule is no more, no contact with crown of helmet

If the most punishing running back of all time says you don't need the top of your head to flatten a defender, all you armchair QBs should listen.

Using the crown of the football as a weapon is not how this game was meant to be played. Use your forehead/face mask or your shoulder.

If the most punishing running back of all time says you don't need the top of your head to flatten a defender, all you armchair QBs should listen.

Using the crown of the football as a weapon is not how this game was meant to be played. Use your forehead/face mask or your shoulder.
I wonder if you'll be saying that when Lamar miller breaks one for a Game winning td, and lowers his head to run over a safety, and the refs call the play back and tack on a 15 yard penalty.

I wonder if you'll be saying that when Lamar miller breaks one for a Game winning td, and lowers his head to run over a safety, and the refs call the play back and tack on a 15 yard penalty.

I will. Why would I not want the rules to apply to everyone fairly? I am a Dolphins fan, not a PATRIOTS fan.

These new rules just passed.

No longer can any player initiate contact with the crown of their helmet outside of the tackle box. This one should get interesting. Most running backs default to doing so to break coverage and protect themselves. Now, if it is clear that he is using his helmet as a battering ram, they get called for a penalty. I suppose players safety is the most important thing but now they are hurting game play. I understand viscous helmet to helmet calls, but I think this is too much. You can only dismantle traditional play so much.

They also have done away with the tuck rule. This one I like. If the ball never leaves his hands, it isn't a pass. Who is to say he wasn't planning to pump fake and run with it? Glad the tuck rule is gone.

What do you all think?

A. I HATE this rule
B. I REALLY HATE this rule
C. Maybe we should've kept Reggie Bush since this rule will hurt tough downhill runners

As a youth football coach I wholeheartedly agree with the new crown of the helmet rule! IMO this rule alone will cut concussions dramatically, yes there will be a delay and complaints until players get used to it. Dropping your head does not protect you, it makes you a lazy player. The old adage of low man wins is very true but the man who gets low bending his knees will beat the man who gets low dropping his head every time.

I preach to my kids that one thing I can guarantee, if you drop your head on contact you will get hurt. They are taught that the helmet is not a weapon and is not a battering ram. If 8 year olds can learn not to do it I am sure NFL players can.

Look for more broken ribs! Welcome to the NFFL! All for legal issues not for player safety.

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

They want to cut down concussions but increase the season by 2 games?? HMMM

The National Football League has turned into World Wrestling Entertainment.

The mental and physical anguish that the athletes endure is most certainly real, but the dark little secret that the two businesses share is that the referees orchestrate, control, and decide the outcome of the match/game. These rules are nothing more than tools given to the officials to dictate who wins and who loses. I know it's hard for some to believe but it's true. There is too much money to be made for it not to be the case.

One could argue, then why watch the sport at all and root for the Miami Dolphins, and post on message boards and attend fixed games?

The simple answer is, because I love it! I love football!

But something happened over the past decade or so where you could just tell that the game was being tailored a certain way to favor particular teams and it was all being done under the veil of parity. The tuck rule is a prime example. The powers that be knew exactly what they were doing and it isn't a surprise that Al Davis was on the losing end of that call, while Robert Kraft, who has since been celebrated for his contributions to the league, was on the winning side and thus giving way to the Patriots dynasty. This was by design.

And I don't mean to come across as this crazy conspiracy theorist, but some of you know deep down that it's true. It's just we're all so emotionally invested that we've reached the point of no return and are now willing participants in the show. No shame in admitting it as long as you realize that the truth is always stranger than fiction and that the NFL is theatrical entertainment meant to be consumed by us consumers which is undoubtedly, and wholeheartedly fun to digest.

But don't get it twisted, the game is rigged.

As a youth football coach I wholeheartedly agree with the new crown of the helmet rule! IMO this rule alone will cut concussions dramatically, yes there will be a delay and complaints until players get used to it. Dropping your head does not protect you, it makes you a lazy player. The old adage of low man wins is very true but the man who gets low bending his knees will beat the man who gets low dropping his head every time.

I preach to my kids that one thing I can guarantee, if you drop your head on contact you will get hurt. They are taught that the helmet is not a weapon and is not a battering ram. If 8 year olds can learn not to do it I am sure NFL players can.

As a former coach and player, I admire this effort you've put forth to teach kids that the helmet is not a weapon. This fell by the wayside somewhere along the way as kids were taught to seperate the ball from the ball carrier, and it continued up into the high school, collegiate, and professional ranks.

However, coaching it in an attempt to encourage the use of the shoulder instead is one thing... fining offensive players for doing it is an entirely different can o' worms. If you're protecting the football with both hands while finishing a run and a defender squares up in front of you, he might have to eat some polycarbonate. There are instances where this rule infringes on the RB's right to gain an extra yard, and prohibits the runner from denying the exposition of his sternum as a target. A good back is going to provide a potential tackler nothing but knees, thighs, elbows, shoulders,...and a helmet.

My 19 year old son broke his neck during practice about 3 years ago making a routine catch over the middle that he's made dozens of times. The other kid led with his shoulder....

Luckily he only wore a neck brace for a month and is fine, but things were pretty hairy for a while with me and his mother. I can guarantee that no parent ever wants to experience that type of anxiety, and I hope with your efforts to teach kids to be more aware that none of 'em ever do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually wonder what took them so long to change the helmet rule. If you're going to tell some players they can't use their helmet as a weapon because of safety reasons, it doesn't make sense that other players can. I still don't like that if I touch the running backs face mask it's a penalty, for safety reasons, but he can grab mine and twist and yank all he wants and it's not a safety issue. I felt they had to change the rule or eliminate the rule against the defense.

Back
Top Bottom