Tyler Thigpen - WE NEED TO TAKE A LOOK AT THIS KID NEXT YEAR | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tyler Thigpen - WE NEED TO TAKE A LOOK AT THIS KID NEXT YEAR

I like Thigpen...He has talent..

I hope he can push Henne ..

Is Thingpen a starter?

No..Is he a good backup yes...

The First Int he threw shows you why he is not a starter...

He should have been in there the 2nd half not Pat White..

Thigpen had no benefit of taking snaps during practice all week, and probably since he's been here.

How many picks did Henne throw?

Just sayin'.

This thread is still going? It's so sad. Im guessing everyone forgot that he threw a very bad pass while forcing it to pretty screw our chances at winning or even tying that football game? Get over yourself people Thigpen was a flavor of 2 drives and the rest of the time he played mediocre. Good Backup not future.

I have 0 understanding on what Chad Henne has to do in a season in which Sparano and the FO had no intent of making him a full-time starter. In which his defense barely ever helped him out, a running game that was okay after Ronnie went down. Explain to me what an essentially rookie QB has to do to impress fans these days? Win every game and drop Manning like numbers? Perhaps be as poise and perfect as "Tom Terrific"? C'mon this place is starting to look like new york fans. 0 tolerance for anything less than Hall of Fame type performances every start, he's young he will make mistakes. Look past what he did and think would you rather go through a 3-4 man carousel of QBs every year like we have ever since Marino retired? I just want a well thought out explanation on what he should have done in his rookie starting season and why he won't be our future and why Thigpen or anyone in the draft or FA should be this teams next franchise QB.

This thread is still going? It's so sad. Im guessing everyone forgot that he threw a very bad pass while forcing it to pretty screw our chances at winning or even tying that football game? Get over yourself people Thigpen was a flavor of 2 drives and the rest of the time he played mediocre. Good Backup not future.

I have 0 understanding on what Chad Henne has to do in a season in which Sparano and the FO had no intent of making him a full-time starter. In which his defense barely ever helped him out, a running game that was okay after Ronnie went down. Explain to me what an essentially rookie QB has to do to impress fans these days? Win every game and drop Manning like numbers? Perhaps be as poise and perfect as "Tom Terrific"? C'mon this place is starting to look like new york fans. 0 tolerance for anything less than Hall of Fame type performances every start, he's young he will make mistakes. Look past what he did and think would you rather go through a 3-4 man carousel of QBs every year like we have ever since Marino retired? I just want a well thought out explanation on what he should have done in his rookie starting season and why he won't be our future and why Thigpen or anyone in the draft or FA should be this teams next franchise QB.

i think you missed the point of this thread.

The point is, why should this regime just had the starting job to Henne?

Why not declare an open competition? Wouldnt that be better for the team?

After having PW as the #2 QB this season, I'm not sure what this regime is thinking regarding the QB issues of this franchise.

I want all players at every position competing for their starting job, not just coming back as a starter because they started the year before.

It should be a DECLARED STATEMENT. All positions, including the starting QB position is wide open for competition and the best player will be the starter.

This is obviously not what has occurred with the #2 QB philosophy yesterday and all year.

Just sayin'.

Love all the "blew the game for us with that pick" talk. We were getting embarrassed behind a stagnant offense that couldnt move the ball before TT stepped on the field and put himself in position to "blow the game".

The kid combined for 22 TDs in 2008, starting 11 games and providing a pretty good sample size, with 13 picks AS A ROOKIE, in KC...the kid moves the ball.

This guy appears to be loaded with confidence. I love Henne, but what's wrong with a qb TC battle? Better to have 2 competent qb's than the 0 we had for so many years.

Love all the "blew the game for us with that pick" talk. We were getting embarrassed behind a stagnant offense that couldnt move the ball before TT stepped on the field and put himself in position to "blow the game".

The kid combined for 22 TDs in 2008, starting 11 games and providing a pretty good sample size, with 13 picks AS A ROOKIE, in KC...the kid moves the ball.

This guy appears to be loaded with confidence. I love Henne, but what's wrong with a qb TC battle? Better to have 2 competent qb's than the 0 we had for so many years.

Finally, someone who knows what they're talking about.

I like Henne, I love Thigpen. Doesnt matter anyway, the point is that the QB position should be wide open to competition and NOT handed to Henne automatically.

Some people on this site have already 'annointed' Henne the 'future'.

Lets not forget Romo.

Thigpen should be given a fair chance to compete to be the starter, if Henne wins it out, then fine...so long as the competition isnt not cooked like the #2 QB position on this team has been.

Miami needs to take a look at this kid next year. He is very talented. I always liked him at Kansas City. He should of been starting instead of Matt Cassell. He is more mobile than Henne, and has more talent than Henne. Trust me when I say that. Even though he threw 2 INTS, this kid has talent.

Yes he is more mobile then Henne, and no he does not have more talent then Henne, but he will be a very good backup for us, but that is as far as he will go.

I say both have thier styles of play, and both should have a fair shot at QB this up coming preseason in late August... After we see what both have to offer i think sparano should be able to determine the right starting QB decision.

Consider for a second that many here are judging Thigpen by his season last year, where he was thrust in as a starter in his second professional season without having the benefit of being groomed like Henne was. So we are supposed to excuse Henne's mistakes due to having to start as a second year starter, but not Thigpen? For the record, Thigpen's statline was much more impressive than Henne's last year, and its pretty obvious the dude knows how to hit paydirt, something that Henne, despite the big yardage, has been painfully average at.

Second of all, we've seen several games down the stretch where Henne threw absolutely awful picks which either lost games for us or nearly blew them, only to have our terrible defense somehow save the day for him. Did you forget the Bills game, the Jags game, the Titans game, or any of the other picks Henne threw? You're sitting here condeming Thigpen for throwing a pick which threw a dagger into the comeback that he had so far engineered. To be honest, I can't think of anything that could be more remniscent of what Henne has done this year than that. But Henne, the guy who has taken all the number 1 reps in practice since week 4 and has been working in this offense for two years, gets a pass on his mistakes while we are supposed to condemn Thigpen, who has probably hardly even set foot on the field with this offense due to being a ridiculous #3 to Pat White. That logic is severely flawed.

I'm not going to sit here and say that Thigpen should come out and be the starter next year, but most people here are just saying that Thigpen deserves his fair shot to earn a real role on this team, even if that's just as the no. 2 ahead of FO favorite's like Pat White. There's no reason not to for a guy who threw 18 TD's in 11 starts and 14 games last year, in his first real NFL action, and also engineered some of the best plays I've seen out of a Dolphins offense in years.

Anyone realize here that Thigpen did have 2 guys named Dwayne Bowe and Tony Gonzalez to goto? Having those two couldn't have hurt all to much huh? A Qb fight isn't a bad idea but saying Henne should go outright is foolish.

If he outplays Henne in the OTA's and training camp he will get a shot. I don't see that happening but Sparano has shown that he will play the guy that practices and plays the best no matter who you are.

You know the old saying.
"When you've got TWO QB's, you don't have ONE

I like thigpen but like henne more. I would love to have Thigpen be our backup and white go to WR/RB/QB type position.

It is ironic when a football forum talks QB and who is and should be a starter when the same people lifted a 3rd stringer to be the next Marino just to see that 'next marino' slide back into 3rd stringer. AJ Feely anybody?

Or I remember the killer discussions about Brian Griese.

Yeah right.

NONE of us know if Thigpen is starting material or backup material. The Kid got drafted three years ago and played on a Chiefs team who had less talent as us especially on OL. Yet he put some decent numbers up and had a 18-12 TD-INT ratio. He lost the numbers game when the Chiefs traded for Cassel. And Cassel had now a worse season than Thigpen.

The Kid saw his very first action the entire season. Yeah, a perfect scenario: still in a playoff hunt; 1st stringer and 2nd stringer knocked out; down by 17 in the 3rd Quarter. Yep. Let's evaluate a QB by that.

By those standards all of you should consider Henne a bust as well. Thigpen made mistakes just like Henne does. Though Henne has more games under his belt this season and practiced with the 1st teamers pretty much the entire time.

But it is the evil of playing different score cards. Make the facts fit the argument rather than the other way around. It is that everlasting and never ending 'moving the bar around'.

In my opinion: Henne has not shown me a 100% that he will be the future starting QB. He has shown some promise, yet he continous to do some dumb things (like throwing the ball into coverage while being sacked).

Same with Thigpen: that pass to Bess? Absolutely gorgeous. Yet he made some dumb mistakes. Hey, sounds like Henne.

Why would Thigpen be good for the Wild cat? The whole notion of the Wild Cat is NOT to have a QB under center. Duh!

In my opinion: Henne has not locked up anything for next year. I'd keep both - Henne and Thigpen - let them battle in camp and get a veteran as a 3rd stringer.

Throw out that White Cat experiment.

Thigpen had no benefit of taking snaps during practice all week, and probably since he's been here.

How many picks did Henne throw?

Just sayin'.

On the year, Henne threw an INT once every 32.2 passing attemtps. If you're going by Sunday's performance, Henne threw 1 INT in 20 passing attempts. Thigpen threw 2 interceptions in 8 passing attempts.

I like Henne, and I wouldn't be opposed to there being competition for the starting job. Having said that, Henne has done enough this year to be considered the favorite for the job heading into 2010.

On the year, Henne threw an INT once every 32.2 passing attemtps. If you're going by Sunday's performance, Henne threw 1 INT in 20 passing attempts. Thigpen threw 2 interceptions in 8 passing attempts.

I like Henne, and I wouldn't be opposed to there being competition for the starting job. Having said that, Henne has done enough this year to be considered the favorite for the job heading into 2010.

How about you compare apples to apples.

The better evaluator would be Henne's first action. Didn't he also come into the game in the 3rd quarter? Against SD?

Henne: 10-19 for 92 yards 0TDs 1 INT QBR 44

Thigpen: 4-8 for 87 yards 1TD 2INTs QBR 87

Not saying that Thigpen is better than Henne. Just comparing apples to apples.

Just compare their career stats.

Thigpen has played in 17 games, has 19 TDs, 15 INTs, ~2700yds, a 54% comp%, and a QB rating of ~74. Plus ~390yds rushing and 3TDs.

Henne has played in 17 games, has 12 TDs, 14 INTs, ~2900yds, a 61% comp%, and a QB rating of ~75. Plus ~30yds rushing and 1 TD.

Henne has a higher %completion, while Thigpen has a better TD/INT ratio in a similar number of games (and pass attempts).

I'd be enormously surprised if Henne didn't start next year and be given the opportunity to continue to improve, but it's not like either of these guys has played all that much better than the other. Both have average to below average stats although both showed some promise and played reasonably well as a young first year starter.

Back
Top Bottom