Ufc 73 - 7/7/07 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ufc 73 - 7/7/07

Rodrigo Nogueira has been one of the world's top Heavyweight fighters for years as he is currently ranked #2 in the world after Fedor. Nogueira has been fighting for Pride in Japan for years, and he will be making his UFC debut this weekend in Sacramento, CA.

Nogueira has largely been known for his ground skills, as his jui-jitsu is amongst the best in the game. Recently he has been improving his his stand-up. But the question still stands, will his style of fighting fit the octagon? Will someone who has been so dominate in the ring on the ground be able to successfully transition to the cage?

Nogueira thinks so. MMAWeekly TV caught up with Rodrigo Nogueria and when asked said, "...I feel very good inside of the cage. I've been training the cage you know since last year... I feel very comfortable to train there in the cage you know."

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=4266&zoneid=2

MMA Weekly's Predictions

In what looks to be the strongest card that the UFC has put together in some time; two title fights and a grudge match highlight UFC 73: Stacked. In the grudge match, Tito Ortiz faces off with The Ultimate Fighter 2 winner Rashad Evans. Sean Sherk defends his lightweight title against Hermes Franca. Anderson Silva defends his middleweight title against Nate Marquardt. Also, former Pride Heavyweight Champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira makes his UFC debut against Heath Herring.

UFC MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP:
ANDERSON SILVA VS. NATE MARQUARDT

UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva defends his title for the first time against former Middleweight King of Pancrase Nate Marquardt. Anderson Silva has an 18-4 record in MMA and trains out of Black House with Vitor Belfort. Nate Marquardt has a 25-6-2 record in MMA and trains out of Jackson’s Submission Fighting with Joey Villasenor. Silva recently submitted Travis Lutter at UFC 67. Marquardt put a beating on Dean Lister at UFC Fight Night 9 to become the number one contender.

Out of all the fights on the card, this is one of the more intriguing fights because it could literally go either way. Silva was supposed to defend his title against Travis Lutter at UFC 67, but Lutter failed to make weight and it was deemed a non-title fight. Silva had a shaky start but eventually submitted Lutter. Marquardt gave Dean Lister an absolute beating as he dominated on the feet and on the ground with relative ease. Silva has the distinct advantage on the feet, while Marquardt has a slight advantage on the ground. The difference in the fight will be how aggressive Marquardt will be on the ground. He has been somewhat passive on the ground in recent fights, staying content to ground and pound instead of improving position and going for submissions. Silva will no doubt be aggressive on the feet and on the ground and I feel that is what will be the difference in the fight. Silva is going to push the pace of the fight and that will be the downfall for Marquardt as won’t be able to keep up with Silva’s pace. Look for Silva to pick Marquardt apart on the feet as he tires late in the fight.

Prediction: Anderson Silva by TKO in the fourth round.

UFC LIGHTWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP BOUT:
SEAN SHERK VS. HERMES FRANCA

UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk defends his title for the first time against the dynamic Hermes Franca. Sean Sherk has a 30-2-1 record in MMA and trains out of the Minnesota Martial Arts Academy with Nick Thompson. Hermes Franca has an 18-5 record in MMA and trains out of The Amory with Rich Crunkilton. Sherk dominated Kenny Florian at UFC 64 to become the UFC Lightweight Champion. Franca knocked out Spencer Fisher to become the number one contender at UFC Fight Night 9.

Sherk makes his first title defense and it won’t be an easy one at that when he takes on the more than capable Franca. Sherk looked like a beast in his domination of Kenny Florian and he could very well hold on to the title for quite sometime. Franca has gone 3-0 since returning to the UFC, finishing all three of his opponents within the distance. Franca’s best chance at winning will be to keep the fight on the feet and land one of those big punches that could very well put Sherk onto queer street. Sherk wants this fight on the ground, where he can pound out a decision over Franca with his effective ground and pound from the top. I give Franca a puncher’s chance to win the fight, as Sherk will just maul him on the ground if he gets a chance to end up on top. Look for Sherk to take the fight to the ground and maul out a decision over the always-tough Franca.

Prediction: Sean Sherk by decision.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=4267&zoneid=2

I said from the moment I heard the fight announced that this is a bad, bad matchup for Tito. If he wins, I will be very impressed. A loss here and his career in the UFC is in jeopardy. Tito's hands may be quicker than Rashad's but Evas has the better chin.

The rest of the card should be dynamite. Kudos to the UFC for contiunually putting together these great cards.

omg...Nogs never been rocked like that before...NEVER.

jeez, lavigne sure did wait on that stoppage...that would not have been a questionable stoppage AT ALL...
i'd call this fight a draw. 10-8 9-10 9-10

anyone else notice Titos girlfriend hanging on another mans arm?

Main Event was so-so but .... this has been the PPV of the year.

Tito is washed up. Once Evans got the start-struck look out of his eyes he was winning the fight and Tito had nothing come the 3rd round. Looked old and tired.

Looks like Silva-Franklin II is now set up. Getting to watch Franklin get his *** kicked again will be fun!

damn Silva is freakishly talented. he's built like gumby, wheres that power come from?

Back
Top Bottom