Upgrading the OL | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Upgrading the OL

It should be pointed out that we drafted a OL starter in the 4th round last year. My point: is that the premium offensive weapons usually come from the top of the draft while you can find decent OL after the first round. We are in a good position because of the Houston trade. We spent 2 1st day picks on the OL last year and IMO that becomes less of an issue this year, freeing up assets to go for scoring talent or a big difference maker on D. While I'd love to have multiple first round choices every year to spend on the OL,they are the exception rather than the rule. My point: take advantage of these picks to upgrade (hopefully) an anemic scoring Offense in the form of play makers. That #3 pick may make another '22 first available while still making play makers available. Of course you find gems in the later rounds but they are far from an assured thing, while high draft choices more typically work out.

A difference-making upgrade at Center would be a great use of cap space, IMO. It impacts the work of 11 other guys every single play.

Shula had some horrible drafts in general tho. From 1984 to 1989 Shula drafted ONE very good player(John Offerdahl. Other than that most of the picks were just horrible.
I think OJ McDuffie was the only other Good WR Shula drafted after the Marks, though the Yatil Green situation was terrible luck and if we had the technology then that we do now, Green couldve been salvaged.
My point is that we had Dan Marino and couldnt get him any more good weapons in the draft for 15 of his 17 years. We got guys in FA like Fryar and Irving, but those FAs were expensive and limited our roster flexibility elsewhere.
Ill never forget how bare Danny's cupboard was in the late 80s.

I think OJ McDuffie was the only other Good WR Shula drafted after the Marks, though the Yatil Green situation was terrible luck and if we had the technology then that we do now, Green couldve been salvaged.
My point is that we had Dan Marino and couldnt get him any more good weapons in the draft for 15 of his 17 years. We got guys in FA like Fryar and Irving, but those FAs were expensive and limited our roster flexibility elsewhere.
Ill never forget how bare Danny's cupboard was in the late 80s.
'Fryar and Ingram', I mean.

Without even looking, these come to my head, Shipp, Kumero, Bosa....feel sorry for Marino.
Shula tried to do one thing during the entire Marino career, stop the run. Couldn't do it.
Dolphins also had crazy-bad luck with injuried to key players in the 80s and 90s, too. Seemed to start with Hugh Green.
Hugh Green and Yatil Green. "As The Knees Turn"

Agree. Guards do not go #3.
We need 6 high round positions:
WR-2
OL-1
Edge-1
LB -1
RB -1
CB, S, DL, OL, LB, added after day 2.
Only way to do this is trade back.
Only stay at three if you take a QB.
This is assuming we don't sign anyone in free agency. You can take 2-3 of these off your list after next week.

The funny thing about our WR position is that, #1, Preston Williams is not a 'JAG'. Mofo was ballin great and can beat CBs butts one on one. His injuries were freak ones that would take any perfectly healthy, strong guy out of commission.
#2 Devante Parker is still a valid #1 WR when healthy. His lack of separation, At Times, was often from playing at less than 100%. Our true #3 and #4 WRs sat out the season.
My point is that our WR room is nowhere near as 'barren' as it looked towards the end of the year.

Having said that, 2 picks in the top 4 picks we have is still a must. Using cap space for veteran WR would not be smart, IMO.

The funny thing about our WR position is that, #1, Preston Williams is not a 'JAG'. Mofo was ballin great and can beat CBs butts one on one. His injuries were freak ones that would take any perfectly healthy, strong guy out of commission.
#2 Devante Parker is still a valid #1 WR when healthy. His lack of separation, At Times, was often from playing at less than 100%. Our true #3 and #4 WRs sat out the season.
My point is that our WR room is nowhere near as 'barren' as it looked towards the end of the year.

Having said that, 2 picks in the top 4 picks we have is still a must. Using cap space for veteran WR would not be smart, IMO.
Not a big name, top contract one for sure.

Feel the same way about FA RBs.

Not only do they drive them, they create them out of thin air.

Do you think it has any effect on NFL team's evaluations?

For those that appreciate a damn good cover that seems appropriate......

Concur 428% about the media creating narratives.

Stupid teams may continue to fall for it

I prefer the original version of Dirty Laundry... by Don Henley

Thus far, I do not think I have run into a single poster here who... when arguing that our O-line was good enough, really was not saying "I want to draft weapons and anything that keeps me from doing that is bad."

When we point out that the 'phins line was ranked near the bottom of the ratings... the responses are always, It'll be better next year (I hope).
When we point out that Flowers is gone after next year and that Karras is a free agent... we get... mumble, mumble. mumble, I want to draft weapons.
When we point out that our best two backups are Deiter and Davis, we get.... mumble, mumble, mumble... gosh Devonta Smith is soooo manly.... squeal!

The line is NOT fixed.

It is partially fixed. It is better than it was in 2019, but none of the rookies excelled. Jackson and Kindley were both decent before they took injuries... and Hunt didn't even start right away and then was okay as a fresh player when most of the NFL's players were beat up.

When we point out that our QB is smallish, not super mobile, and has a lengthy injury history that almost demands not just an ok line, but a very good one... we get... "gosh... if we get these magic WRs who are open in the first 2 seconds, it won't matter..."

SIGH...
I dont think the line is "fixed" but taking Sewell at #3 not
I know they loved him at the Senior Bowl, and I expect to draft multiple guys from the Senior Bowl ... because that seems to be the pattern when we coach there. But, I gotta say, I love this guy. Very twitchy for an OL, impeccable vision, he seems to see every aspect of a DL's moves, and if that carries over to stunts/twists and straight up LB blitzes, then he really will be a good interior lineman. For me, he's more of a guard than center, although I know there's a lot of talk about him as a center ... but that quickness and bulldoggedness (yeah I made the word up, so what!?!?!?) really makes him appealing to me. Whether we have Hunt or Kindley at RG, neither will be a pulling guard, so Meinerz could fill that bill easily.

Not sure whether we'd need a 3rd or a 2nd to get him at this point, and I don't want to use a 2nd, but I'll be happy if we come out of this draft with a quality OL like him.
I'd rather him in the 3rd but if we took him in the 2nd we wouldn't regret it.

I dont think the line is "fixed" but taking Sewell at #3 not
I'd rather him in the 3rd but if we took him in the 2nd we wouldn't regret it.
I'd take Sewell only if there are no trade down offers. I think some of the 2nd and third round tackles look pretty good.

For weeks, I have maintained that the WR and OT pools are quite deep... centers too.

This is assuming we don't sign anyone in free agency. You can take 2-3 of these off your list after next week.
Which positions and can we afford to sign 3? Even 2?

Which positions and can we afford to sign 3? Even 2?
After KVNs release Miami has roughly 33 million in cap space? Most contracts are back loaded and have relatively easy cap hits early on.

Miami can go get multiple players.

After KVNs release Miami has roughly 33 million in cap space? Most contracts are back loaded and have relatively easy cap hits early on.

Miami can go get multiple players.
Is that the wise course of action though? Backloads, and large ammortized signing bonuses have consequences.

It also hasn't been the modis operandi of this regime.

I don't mind doing it under the right circumstances, but regardless of contract structure, overpaying is fools gold.

Not sure what positions you have in mind.

Paying 17-20 mil for a good but not great FA reciever, or 10-13 for a RB is not smart.

Back
Top Bottom