Vernon Hargreaves III Tidbit | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vernon Hargreaves III Tidbit

the concept that luke kuechly has less value in a different defense is utterly false

they said yesterday they are getting "a 3rd starter" with pick 13...if that's not boundary corner I don't know what it is...it's not offensive tackle and I seriously doubt it's offensive guard although that would be the two spots unless you think they are gonna bump jelani Jenkins to the bench at 13 and draft something initially at least Jenkins would beat out in camp...I seriously doubt they would draft any 43 de that would be available at 13 and see instant starter on the edge in base...and it sounds like they already told branch he's the base starting de

I have no idea why anyone would think there's no top 20 or top 15 value in a corner for this scheme either...

His only bad game was against Amari Cooper? Did you not see their bowl game against Michigan where Florida took him out of the game for awhile and was beat deep again almost as soon as they put him back in? Jehu Chesson owned Hargreaves in that game.

[video=youtube;FmzRgNUva3A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmzRgNUva3A[/video]

I wish there was a clip and not the entire game embedded into your comment. Do you have the time in that video that this happened?

There are a bunch of starter quality CBs in this draft, imo. I'm OK with VH3 or Apple at 13, but not anyone else. Jackson III, Alexander, Cyrus Jones look like nice boundary options. Will Redmond, Zack Sanchez, Jonathan Jones and Eric Murray among others look like nice slot options from Day 2 onwards. Guys like Canady, DJ White, Fuller, Howard and Burns are all riskier prospects for the boundary position, but out of that group there will be a decent starter or two.

Bottom line, I'm not fixated on CB at #13, though the boundary options drop off quickly halfway through round 2.

There are a bunch of starter quality CBs in this draft, imo. I'm OK with VH3 or Apple at 13, but not anyone else. Jackson III, Alexander, Cyrus Jones look like nice boundary options. Will Redmond, Zack Sanchez, Jonathan Jones and Eric Murray among others look like nice slot options from Day 2 onwards. Guys like Canady, DJ White, Fuller, Howard and Burns are all riskier prospects for the boundary position, but out of that group there will be a decent starter or two.

Bottom line, I'm not fixated on CB at #13, though the boundary options drop off quickly halfway through round 2.

James Bradberry stands out as a great fit - currently projected in the 5th RD, but he's not someone I would count on to start right away.

Hargreaves one concern is vs size on the boundary...the ball can be caught over his head or at the high point...you know how you hide that the most? by drafting him to play in a off man and zone scheme where his awareness allows for him to get in better position prior to the ball arriving....where he can face the action in carry coverage more

anyways his route awareness his instincts his ball skills and his click and close are all ideal suited for off man and zone...that's where he should be drafted but I wont argue that he can play a high end press or cover 2 corner I just know that if you end up with a career slot corner due to the plays vs size issues on the boundary you will end up getting terrible bang for your top 15 pick buck

I'd much rather draft that for off man and zone with some occasional press sprinkled in etc when it comes to the boundary

I know that tannenbaum said yesterday wants more "size" at cornerback...that doesn't fit Vernon hargreaves

I agree with the thought process that you don't trade down in the first place if Hargreaves is your target...though I thought it was at least 50-50 that he even makes it to 8.

I think they want bigger corners and Apple would be the target at 13 if they go corner.

His only bad game was against Amari Cooper? Did you not see their bowl game against Michigan where Florida took him out of the game for awhile and was beat deep again almost as soon as they put him back in? Jehu Chesson owned Hargreaves in that game.

[video=youtube;FmzRgNUva3A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmzRgNUva3A[/video]

I think you missed the part where I said toss out the tape on his JR year since he was dealing with injuries the entire year. If anyone has flown over 3,000 miles during multiple years to watch Hargreaves play live please stand up? I'm telling you I've been scouting this kid since high school. His dad was a LB coach for the Hurricanes, and is still coaching in college right now. If you saw what he did to Laquan Treadwell at the Under Armour game you knew he was going to be good. If you watch the tape from his Freshmen year at Florida you would knew he was going to be GREAT. His Sophmore year was equally as impressive. I don't think Hargreaves head was there against Michigan or many other teams his Junior year. I could count several plays where he'd avoid contact with a RB at the LOS just to avoid further damage, and injury. Mark my words this kid will be one of the best DB's in the league bar none. Keanu Neal is another kid I hope we draft in the second round. He'll be the next Cam Chancellor.

One of the top prospects at arguably the biggest position of need . . . makes sense to meet with him.

But if you really wanted him, you don't make that trade . . . I think the target is probably Apple and seems to fit what they want in their CBs.

Smoke being thrown all over

Agree. I think if Hargreaves and Apple are both available at #13, Miami still takes Apple. His size and physicality better matches what the team wants to do on defense. I think Hargreaves is the better of the two, but I do like Apple.

The Titans are dying to deal the #1 pick, and they seem motivated to take less than chart value. I would be 100% in favor of trading into that spot and drafting Ramsey. He's the one game-changer in the top ten, hands-down.

You see both fans and GMs/HCs go all gaga for DEs; but what DE has won a Super Bowl for his team? When we had Armstrong, Taylor and Ogunleye racking up sacks, we won exactly ONE playoff game. We've had Wake and Vernon, and haven't had a winning season in years. Ask the Texans the value of their DEs that they've picked at #1 plus JJ Watt, while they suck canal water.

Besides QBs, what wins championships is outstanding Safeties and Corners. We need to come out of this draft with the best, not another college marvel who won't be able to cover Brandon Marshall, Sammy Watkins, etc. twice a year because he's undersized. You can't get around that; but NFL receivers will.

Hargreaves is this year's Jason Allen. Great in college against non-NFL-size competition, a workout warrior with eye-popping numbers, but a guy who ultimately will be as bad as he is good in the pros.

Bleacher Report's current Mock Draft suggests we'll take CB Mckenzie Alexander from Clemson, assuming Hargreaves is off the board. What say you to that?

Bleacher Report's current Mock Draft suggests we'll take CB Mckenzie Alexander from Clemson, assuming Hargreaves is off the board. What say you to that?

Just bleacher report, means nothing

I say that is pure drafting for need unless Vance loves the kid. I say he is prob a top 20-25 talent.

The Titans are dying to deal the #1 pick, and they seem motivated to take less than chart value. I would be 100% in favor of trading into that spot and drafting Ramsey. He's the one game-changer in the top ten, hands-down.

You see both fans and GMs/HCs go all gaga for DEs; but what DE has won a Super Bowl for his team? When we had Armstrong, Taylor and Ogunleye racking up sacks, we won exactly ONE playoff game. We've had Wake and Vernon, and haven't had a winning season in years. Ask the Texans the value of their DEs that they've picked at #1 plus JJ Watt, while they suck canal water.

Besides QBs, what wins championships is outstanding Safeties and Corners. We need to come out of this draft with the best, not another college marvel who won't be able to cover Brandon Marshall, Sammy Watkins, etc. twice a year because he's undersized. You can't get around that; but NFL receivers will.

Hargreaves is this year's Jason Allen. Great in college against non-NFL-size competition, a workout warrior with eye-popping numbers, but a guy who ultimately will be as bad as he is good in the pros.

Hargreaves is a student of the game, and a coaches son. He didn't run the fastest or put up the best numbers. He performed well enough at the combine to back up his tape. If you actually watched him play you would see that he's not a guy who relies on athleticism. He studies tape, and puts himself in the right position to make plays.

You also asked what DE has won a superbowl for his team? Have you heard of a guy by the name of Von Miller?

Last edited by a moderator:
You have no idea what you're talking about. Hargreaves is a student of the game, and a coaches son. He didn't run the fastest or put up the best numbers. He performed well enough at the combine to back up his tape. If you actually watched him play you would see that he's not a guy who relies on athleticism. He studies tape, and puts himself in the right position to make plays.

You also asked what DE has won a superbowl for his team? Have you heard of a guy by the name of Von Miller?

So, we'd be drafting the Vernon Hargreaves family? :sidelol:

And do you mean Von Miller, the Linebacker? Or is there another Von Miller out there? Now who doesn't know what he's talking about?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom