Vernon Hargreaves III Tidbit | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vernon Hargreaves III Tidbit

The plays where Chesson beats him deep are at 44:10 and 1:28:10 hope that helps.

I'll bite.

It is what it is, and what it is is blown coverage and miscommunication by the secondary and it's not necessarily on VH3. I'm not going to pretend to know the exact defensive call, but I think we can make some very good assessments.

44:10 - In Cover 2 the SS has deep halves responsibility over the 3x1 alignment if zone which appears to be the case by the boundary CB playing the flat. The SS fails to recognize the see the deep outside vertical to drop over top and instead mistakenly plays the Y Cross, but ultimately VH3 bit on the pump fake and was beaten over the top.

1:28:10 - Cover 1 pre-motion, looks like possible alert to Cover 2 post-motion as the FS leaves MOF. Michigan runs a Yankee concept (two route combo only of Post & Dig) with max protection as both the FB and TE on the strong side stay in to block and the SS bites hard on the play fake to the RB who also stays in for pass protection. The SS should have immediately bailed. Concerning Hargreaves here, M2M would have the CB line up to the inside of the WR forcing him to the outside in order to use the sideline for help. Instead we see VH3 lined up over Chesson's outside shoulder which signals he is supposed to have help over the top, especially on the WR's post route. If you pause at 1:28:18 you will see four gator defenders covering the only other receiver out in a pattern which is the TE from the weakside. That's not by design, that's blown coverage by a safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now we're talkin'. But Von Miller is SO much more than a DE; he's a guy who stands out there and wrecks plays in motion. He's not necessarily engaged with a blocker, he's looking for the ball so he can kill the guy carrying it. He's a monster. Now, take that guy, put his hand in the dirt across from a 320lb behemoth with bad intentions, and you've now turned him into something the Offense can deal with easier. You've neutered him for the opposing team, and they thank you.

A prime example of that? The way Philbin and Coyle used Olivier Vernon. They kept a dragon chained up. Vernon could be Von Miller, or at least close; the speed is similar; Von is 6'3" 254, Vernon is 6'2" 261.

What do you want to bet that the NYG are going to use Olivier exactly the way the Donks use Miller? And that crazy contract is going to look like just the going price next offseason for a guy you cut loose to wreck Offenses?

Have to disagree here. At 261, Vernon ran a 4.80, and at 246, Miller ran a 4.53, but more importantly, Miller has CB-level agility - 6.70 3-cone, 4.06 20-YS. That's the trait that makes him elite. By contrast, Vernon posted a 7.39 3-cone and a 4.50 20-YS. At 293 last year, Xavier Cooper ran a 7.29 3-cone and a 4.37 20-YS. I use Cooper just to show that Vernon's agility is far from a strength, let alone an elite trait.

The first play in that michigan game is on hargreaves the 2nd is on the safety not maintaining depth...he expects inside help and doesnt get it

If that first play in the Michigan game is the one I'm thinking of that's all on Hargreaves. He bit on a pump fake from Ruddock and got Chessowned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am pretty sure that Hargreaves will not be available at 13, but I am not totally sure. Someone might look at 5'10 and running 4.5 and drop him. I wouldn't be shocked if there are some teams that would prefer Apple because of his outstanding combo of height, length, and speed. When the Dolphins have to deal with the likes of Sammie Watkins, Brandon Marshall and others, Apple might be appealing. Whoever takes Apple will say he is the highest corner on their board. They might actually believe it. Book it.

Honestly, I like Hargreaves. He's competitive and has excellent skills. He's feisty and will tackle. He's got a good demeanor. I don't know what Revis ran and what his measurables were, but some guys are just football players. i think Hargreaves has that. Meanwhile, Apple has tremendous upside.

I really think both are going to be really good NFL corners. Hargreaves feels safer to me but Apple has that enticing upside. I am not going to be flabbergasted if Apple goes first.

Back
Top Bottom