Very tough call facing Miami Dolphins as the DeVonta Smith/Ja’Marr Chase debate rages | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Very tough call facing Miami Dolphins as the DeVonta Smith/Ja’Marr Chase debate rages

Outside of a finger where he bobbled a ball which lead to his hands taking contact like they did he’s been as durable as they come. And that could happen to anyone. He takes contact well for his size.

it’s just more prototype top of the first round draft slots than anything for me at least. And it seems to be leading that way when it comes to chase being widely considered in the scouting community the first wr off the board.

I do think there’s some scheming to get smith open saw that in the national championship game with the backfield motion and redirect to outflank stuff etc but he’s shown he can get open on just about any downfield route concept out there. They just finding ways to get the ball in his hands in space in a game.

so not much to read into it Id say.

I think the guys that think Devonta Smith is not a future top 10 WR have not seen him play much football.

Smith's grade against press coverage was actually higher than Chase's was the year before.

And in my experience you see the jump in level affect power guys against press more than quick guys against press. Now if you never go against press then you will struggle with the jump in level regardless. But for guys who did face press coverage in college, I find that the guys who were just able to bully everyone b/c they were stronger have a tougher time against the stronger NFL CBs. They lose that strength advantage and can't just be bullies anymore. But the quicker guys who proved they could beat press in college usually beat press in the pros. I'm not sure why, but it's something I've noticed.

he doesn’t need to. Stalk block and be willing to put your body on the line and you good.

I see nothing that says he’s not willing to do any ask in terms of put it on tbe line
I think that's one of his strengths relative to Chase. You don't see Smith take plays off like you sometimes see with Chase.

Smith's grade against press coverage was actually higher than Chase's was the year before.

And in my experience you see the jump in level affect power guys against press more than quick guys against press. Now if you never go against press then you will struggle with the jump in level regardless. But for guys who did face press coverage in college, I find that the guys who were just able to bully everyone b/c they were stronger have a tougher time against the stronger NFL CBs. They lose that strength advantage and can't just be bullies anymore. But the quicker guys who proved they could beat press in college usually beat press in the pros. I'm not sure why, but it's something I've noticed.

that’s true but in chase case he was a 19 year old bull tossing older corners around in press. He’s not even a man yet so I think that in terms of strength he’s not even where he will be as a pro.

he tossed that diggs kid around physically all over the map his sophomore year lol

that’s true but in chase case he was a 19 year old bull tossing older corners around in press. He’s not even a man yet so I think that in terms of strength he’s not even where he will be as a pro.

he tossed that diggs kid around physically all over the map his sophomore year lol
I do see Chase being so young as a big plus for him as a prospect.

Chase is very good with his hands keeping his frame clean. He adjusts to the ball and snatches it. Good year to take a wr.

I think that's one of his strengths relative to Chase. You don't see Smith take plays off like you sometimes see with Chase.

that could be differences in coaching at the college level too right? I guarantee that saban runs a tighter ship than orgeron when it comes to that stuff.

I just think that’s possible I guess. Orgeron strikes me as highly players coach.

I’ve heard comps for Smith being Marvin Harrison? He had a great career and was part of that great Indy offense.

I’d be happy with that
I think those are simplistic comps based on size rather than play style. Harrison, while a great player, had a style where he didn't play through contact. I don't see that in Smith's game. Smith is actually great at contested catches. I think it's b/c Smith has a large catch radius. His arms are relatively long. So although he's 6'1", his catch radius is what you'd expect to see from a 6'6" guy.

That's the thing. CJ at #3? Sign me up. jJ at #3? Yeah, I can get on board.

None of these guys are that level, IMO.
I really dont think you would have said sign me up for Calvin Johnson back then. Im pretty sure you would have been drooling over some Olineman in that draft. Hindsight now would make you take Calvin now.

Back
Top Bottom