Very tough call facing Miami Dolphins as the DeVonta Smith/Ja’Marr Chase debate rages | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Very tough call facing Miami Dolphins as the DeVonta Smith/Ja’Marr Chase debate rages

Explain why you have that concern. Point to past precedent.

I’ve posed this question numerous times now to those that bring up Smith’s build. But haven’t received a response, let alone a worthwhile response.

Name some notable receivers this millennium — under the current passing and contact rules — that didn’t make it or hold up unequivocally because of their build.

Furthermore Smith lasted 4 years in the SEC — arguably the most physical league in college football with the best collection of DB talent — without issue.

Again, people are repeating narratives that make sense to them but isn’t backed up by anything of substance.
Honestly it is pretty difficult to find examples because 6'1, 175 pound receivers are not very common in the NFL. There are example of smaller receivers though that have consistently missed a significant amount of games almost every year they have been in the league like Will Fuller, Odell Beckham, DeSean Jackson. That said I dont know why I need to come up with examples to back up my own opinion that given the choice of two extremely talented receivers that Id prefer to take the one who is built a tad more sturdy. Again I mentioned that if Smith was clearly a tier above then I'm taking him regardless but I personally do not think that is the case. In no way was my post some type of PSA to scouts about the risks of taking smaller WRs, just stating my opinion.

How is Smith at beating press?
We really dont know... he's never faced anything but 19 year old kids... how his 165 pound frame will hold up against 25 year old men is an unknown.

I don't like any WR top four. I think the difference between the 3 top prospects warrants a trade down. I'd rather select Waddle at 12-15 than Smith at 3-5. The amount of draft capital involved in such a move is too much to pass up IMO. We're still rebuilding despite the 10-6 record. At worst, we get one of the first cracks at D talent with a D coach.

How is Smith at beating press?
I thought Smith was better than Ruggs or Jeudy last year. He was always open and he caught everything thrown at him.

They can put him in motion if press is the only problem. He separates and catches everything.

However, he's a pencil.

I thought Smith was better than Ruggs or Jeudy last year. He was always open and he caught everything thrown at him.

They can put him in motion if press is the only problem. He separates and catches everything.

However, he's a pencil.
Doesn't that sound more like a gadget player to you?

I’ve been on the JaMarr Chase train since the beginning and have posted threads concerning this but DeVonta Smith is going to be the pick if we go WR. Even if both are on the board when we come up DS is going to be the pick bc he’s familiar with Tua. The only way we end up with JC is if DS is gone when we pick and we want to go WR. But I still say JC is the better fit for Tua and I think he’ll end up being the best of the 3 between he DS and Jaylen Waddle but that’s just my opinion. But I’d be willing to bet DS is the pick if we go WR bc of Tua.

Keyshawn invalidates himself in comparing a couple 5-9, 5-10 guys to a player that’s 6-1.
Smith isn’t short or small, he’s thin. There’s a difference.
He’s also got great length, something neither of those two shorter players have.

Secondly, Keyshawn surely forgot about Stefon Diggs, Will Fuller, Jarvis Landry, Desean Jackson, Robert Woods, Antonio Brown, TY Hilton, and O’Dell Beckham, who are all 6 foot or under and certainly not “big dudes”. There are a lot more too.

As for Smith v. Chase, I’m already on record believing that Smith is the better fit. But I won’t be upset if MIA ends up with Chase instead. Or Waddle for that matter. All three are exceptional and the best in this class IMO.

Now, if they can somehow draft 2 of the 3, I’ll be an ecstatic Dolphins fan.
Of that group Landry and Diggs are the most durable. Most of those guys miss time due to injury. I just looked at these guys and noticed most do not play full seasons. Now, I didn't look at all receivers and see how that compares, but I do think receivers, CB's, and RB's miss the most game time. Makes sense since receivers and CB's are mostly based on speed and RB's just take a lot of hits.

It's a crap shoot anyway you look at it. I lean towards Waddle over all of them because of his speed and the way he is built. He's short, but not small. I wonder if Smith was to put on 15lbs how it would effect his game. Chase is physical and wins matches, but he doesn't get a lot of separation.

I know we need a play maker on offense ... I'm not trolling here ...

Looking at our team is there 1 player at any position who can really make an impact for the Dolphins?

Making an impact, for me, would be a player on either side of the ball who plays every down ( O or D) a player that other teams have to double and/or scheme against ....

If that player doesn't exist this year then so be it but as much as I would love to see a flashy wideout I'm not sure WR is the one position that is the straw that stirs the drink ...

a game changing QB or RB or Edge or LBer etc ... how many touches does a WR get in any given game .... are we one stud WR from turning the corner? I don't think so

Does a stud WR give Tua the best chance to show what he can do?

Looking for real answers here because I'm not sold on a WR at #3 thinking he is the answer to put our offense in playoff contention ... I'm not sold on a WR being the answer to Tua's struggles

All that being said I would love a superstar at the WR position but I'm not sold the position is what to target at #3 with our current roster.

A lot will depend on the Combine and Pro days for these players that sat out 2020 to see what kind of shape they are in. But I admit to being one those people that does not want Allen Hurns or Albert Wilson back for 2021 because they bailed on their team, so I'm not for drafting college kids that did the same. You gotta love to play football. I'm taking DeVonta Smith for that reason over Chase every day of the week. We already have BIG wr's.
Sewell, parsons I believe, and chase all sat out this year. That’s one less year of football and nearly two years will have passed since they took a snap in a line game or practice when they take their first reps in 2021. Sometimes players have a good sophomore year and then relapse in their junior year or have a down year. Especially in a Covid year id rather draft players who have more recent film. I’ll bet we draft a bunch of players we have seen firsthand at the senior bowl. I say either smith or pitts with our number 3 pick depending on if we keep it or drop back a few spots in a trade.

I know we need a play maker on offense ... I'm not trolling here ...

Looking at our team is there 1 player at any position who can really make an impact for the Dolphins?

Making an impact, for me, would be a player on either side of the ball who plays every down ( O or D) a player that other teams have to double and/or scheme against ....

If that player doesn't exist this year then so be it but as much as I would love to see a flashy wideout I'm not sure WR is the one position that is the straw that stirs the drink ...

a game changing QB or RB or Edge or LBer etc ... how many touches does a WR get in any given game .... are we one stud WR from turning the corner? I don't think so

Does a stud WR give Tua the best chance to show what he can do?

Looking for real answers here because I'm not sold on a WR at #3 thinking he is the answer to put our offense in playoff contention ... I'm not sold on a WR being the answer to Tua's struggles

All that being said I would love a superstar at the WR position but I'm not sold the position is what to target at #3 with our current roster.
Well, a top WR can make a difference even if he "only" gets 10 targets in a game. A guy like Smith for example has to be accounted for the whole game. A playmaker like him can open up other things for the offense as well. This past season the other team's defense didn't have to worry about such a playmaker and that affected the running game as well. Smith hits a long play and the defense starts to loosen up which help the running game as well as the under stuff so there's an argument to be made that one stud WR does a lot for the offense in general and for Tua in particular. WR's getting separation was a big problem last year and that is our biggest need right now.

Back
Top Bottom