Very tough call facing Miami Dolphins as the DeVonta Smith/Ja’Marr Chase debate rages | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Very tough call facing Miami Dolphins as the DeVonta Smith/Ja’Marr Chase debate rages

I know we need a play maker on offense ... I'm not trolling here ...

Looking at our team is there 1 player at any position who can really make an impact for the Dolphins?

Making an impact, for me, would be a player on either side of the ball who plays every down ( O or D) a player that other teams have to double and/or scheme against ....

If that player doesn't exist this year then so be it but as much as I would love to see a flashy wideout I'm not sure WR is the one position that is the straw that stirs the drink ...

a game changing QB or RB or Edge or LBer etc ... how many touches does a WR get in any given game .... are we one stud WR from turning the corner? I don't think so

Does a stud WR give Tua the best chance to show what he can do?

Looking for real answers here because I'm not sold on a WR at #3 thinking he is the answer to put our offense in playoff contention ... I'm not sold on a WR being the answer to Tua's struggles

All that being said I would love a superstar at the WR position but I'm not sold the position is what to target at #3 with our current roster.
Wr is totally the straw that stirs the drink and we have to basically rebuild our wr room. We need two to three new ones there, at least one more boundary wr and one slot. In both cases we need guys who can create some separation and get some YAC. It’s the worst position group on the team after RB. I’m assuming our Oline rookies will improve in their second year although we could definitely use another stud there too. Oline and wr are said to be deep in this draft so we can draft really good prospects for both with our first 4 picks. However, Sewell sat out a year and this is why I’d rather see us take smith with pick 3.

Opting out isn’t effecting any of these kids. I’m not a Bucky brooks guy but 3 out of his top 5 non qb position player grades in tbe class are opt outs.

why? Cause they are premium talents. Parsons chase and Sewell (who if he cleans up his pass pro technique has everything else)

the nfl only needed one year of tape from these kids to say yep they check the boxes

FIT FIT FIT

how many times can it be repeated. this shouldn't be a discussion about who will be the better pro, but who would be better for the Fins and Tua.

Tua didn't really take any risk last season, whether by choice, scheme, or coaching. If he's not going to throw the 50/50 ball and let his receiver go get it, then its pointless to bring him in. If we had a gunslinger QB, then I'm prob taking Chase all day. No point in drafting Chase at 3 if we have an ultra conservative QB that is gonna turn him into a 50/800/4 stat guy who he only utilizes to bust gaps in cover 2. would much rather have the 110/1400/10 guy, lots of catches with some wiggle to break some tackles

WR's getting separation was a big problem last year and that is our biggest need right now.
Yeah I get all that and agree .... except I don't believe WR is our biggest need... I'm more in the Parsons camp .... I believe @ 18 we can either move up (not a fan) or address the WR ....

at 3 I want to see a player that impacts every down and though a WR does draw attention and that does help the run game as well as the short game it doesn't move the needle for me more than an every down play maker @ LB or edge ... hell even a tackle may move the needle more for me at 3 in a vacuum where everything is level ...

Yeah I get all that and agree .... except I don't believe WR is our biggest need... I'm more in the Parsons camp .... I believe @ 18 we can either move up (not a fan) or address the WR ....

at 3 I want to see a player that impacts every down and though a WR does draw attention and that does help the run game as well as the short game it doesn't move the needle for me more than an every down play maker @ LB or edge ... hell even a tackle may move the needle more for me at 3 in a vacuum where everything is level ...
Valid points bro. I understand.

I glance back at history and see the Lions did the draft a superstar WR in the first .... I think back to back years .... and it didn't really move the needle for them IIRC .... not really feeling a WR @ 3 given the current state of our team

The top three guys are all fairly equal and elite. They make plays and that’s all that counts on the field. Doing what is asked of them. I would evaluate the maturity, the football intelligence, the drive, work ethic, family dynamic, and pick the one most likely to come to work and be a professional and hopefully a guy I want in my locker room and on my team. They can all run and catch.

Wr is totally the straw that stirs the drink and we have to basically rebuild our wr room. We need two to three new ones there, at least one more boundary wr and one slot. In both cases we need guys who can create some separation and get some YAC. It’s the worst position group on the team after RB. I’m assuming our Oline rookies will improve in their second year although we could definitely use another stud there too. Oline and wr are said to be deep in this draft so we can draft really good prospects for both with our first 4 picks. However, Sewell sat out a year and this is why I’d rather see us take smith with pick 3.
Definitely agree we have to rebuild the WR group ... I just can't see it starting @ #3 ....

Tua is "supposed" to be a QB with a rare talent ... with a full camp and another 6-7 months to continue rehab and get his comfort level where it needs to be he SHOULD be able to make the players around him better (if not we need to consider moving on IMO) ... yes he probably needs a WR who can separate a bit more but he has to show he is a play maker too ... you can put all the WR and TE studs you want but if your QB can't take advantage of it you're pi$$ing in the wind ....

If you have a QB that has shown (at least) flashes of greatness then it's an easier sell for me but Tua hasn't YET proven to be that guy ... however a stud LBer or edge doesn't need another player to consistently "be there" for him ... he wrecks game plans and blows up games regardless (Ray Lewis, Luke Kuechly) .... that is the drink I would rather see stirred at 3

FIT FIT FIT

how many times can it be repeated. this shouldn't be a discussion about who will be the better pro, but who would be better for the Fins and Tua.

Tua didn't really take any risk last season, whether by choice, scheme, or coaching. If he's not going to throw the 50/50 ball and let his receiver go get it, then its pointless to bring him in. If we had a gunslinger QB, then I'm prob taking Chase all day. No point in drafting Chase at 3 if we have an ultra conservative QB that is gonna turn him into a 50/800/4 stat guy who he only utilizes to bust gaps in cover 2. would much rather have the 110/1400/10 guy, lots of catches with some wiggle to break some tackles

fit sounds great when guys aren’t really freaks etc. you think Calvin Johnson had to worry about fit or a Julio jones? Aj green for that matter?

the hell they did.

Why are we talking about playmakers? According to some people all we need to do is draft a LT at 3 and all our problems are over.
To play devils advocate that's not what they're saying. We have 3 more picks in the first 2 rounds to add WR's in a pretty good class.

Both our line and WR core are easily sub par. We need both to be better.

I have no problem w drafting Smith/Chase, but I want it to be bc the FO feels they are the best talent/fit. Not bc we feel pressured by need.

I'd obviously prefer that guy to be a WR bc I will admit it is an ever greater need. But passing on what a FO believes is BPA over need is a huge pet peeve of mine.

We are far from 1 Olineman or WR from having an acceptable offensive supporting cast. We need a good all around offseason there. Not just one pick.

We have the cap and draft capital to do that. Hitting just on #3 won't be enough no matter who that is.

To play devils advocate that's not what they're saying. We have 3 more picks in the first 2 rounds to add WR's in a pretty good class.

Both our line and WR core are easily sub par. We need both to be better.

I have no problem w drafting Smith/Chase, but I want it to be bc the FO feels they are the best talent/fit. Not bc we feel pressured by need.

I'd obviously prefer that guy to be a WR bc I will admit it is an ever greater need. But passing on what a FO believes is BPA over need is a huge pet peeve of mine.

We are far from 1 Olineman or WR from having an acceptable offensive supporting cast. We need a good all around offseason there. Not just one pick.

We have the cap and draft capital to do that. Hitting just on #3 won't be enough no matter who that is.
Thing is, Fins have drafted 5 OLs in the last 2 drafts, at some point, you need to let the pups develop, or fix whats left to be fixed with vets. In contrast, Fins have drafted 3 WRs in the last 5 drafts, in the 3rd, 6th and 7th round. Its no wonder why the unit is bottom of the barel...

No debate for me. Don't want to touch that stick man with a 10ft pole or else he'll break in half!

Chase is easily the superior NFL Prospect IMO. BUT no way he's worthy of #3.
Yah you said the same of a Tua - the twig would break bla bla bla

For a guy who professes himself as funny you need some new material

Thing is, Fins have drafted 5 OLs in the last 2 drafts, at some point, you need to let the pups develop, or fix whats left to be fixed with vets. In contrast, Fins have drafted 3 WRs in the last 5 drafts, in the 3rd, 6th and 7th round. Its no wonder why the unit is bottom of the barel...
And our line was still bad. Look I don't have a hard stance either way. I just want our FO to go with who we believe is best. And I even said I really hope that guy is WR.

I just hate When need is the determining factor. I think we drafted AJax almost solely based on need when I wanted us to go Jefferson after missing out on the big 4 OT's (Not implying I thought Jefferson would be this good).

But can still go OT there, and leave this draft with 2 WR's picked in the first 2 rounds.

I'll be fuming just like everyone else if we go Sewell and don't heavily address WR in the draft/FA.

Yah you said the same of a Tua - the twig would break bla bla bla

For a guy who professes himself as funny you need some new material
Dude, I think you have serious vitamin D deficiency!

You have chronic randomitis for sure! And obvious bla bla bla syndrome!

Feel better. Stay safe!

:oops:

And our line was still bad. Look I don't have a hard stance either way. I just want our FO to go with who we believe is best. And I even said I really hope that guy is WR.

I just hate When need is the determining factor. I think we drafted AJax almost solely based on need when I wanted us to go Jefferson after missing out on the big 4 OT's (Not implying I thought Jefferson would be this good).

But can still go OT there, and leave this draft with 2 WR's picked in the first 2 rounds.

I'll be fuming just like everyone else if we go Sewell and don't heavily address WR in the draft/FA.
I realize the OL was still bad, but you cant expect to start as many rookies as they did and have instant success, adding yet another rookie in the mix really isnt going to be a quick fix either... Let the guys you drafted get some playing time and see what you really have. Furthermore, I dont see picking Smith or Chase as worst value than picking Sewell. After the Fins drafted Jackson last year, they'd basically be using #3 for a RT, its not good value.

What I mean is if you draft 2 tackles with #3 and 18# in back to back years, one of them is inevitably a RT. I realize that the best case scenario here is trading down, but if it isnt available, Sewell/Smith/Chase are basically the same value overall and the WRs will bring more impact on the Fins specifically. Im not arguing against you because I know we're on the same page, just elaborating on my position.

Back
Top Bottom