Victory lap for Tannehill fans | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Victory lap for Tannehill fans

It was obvious what type of a QB Tannehill was, but some just refused to see it.

Good to see Tannehill finally getting more sensible time to do his job, and showing the NFL who he really is, and what he can do when allowed to do it.

Very few times in the history of Man has a wronger tree been barked up. But it is what it is.
interesting use of the passive tense! I think Goat was just giving directions (I presume this was posted on the regular fin football first?)
He always had the physical tools but the game was too fast for him mentally. His first read was perfunctory, not really an option most of the time due to his delay between the brain and the arm. For whatever reason, but he didn’t have the moxie or the “it” factor to really challenge and take over. There were exceptions and flashes of what was possible if he ever took that mythical next step. Well maybe he has, finally. Good for him. I hope he does well and plays up to his potential before he is done. You don’t get six or seven years in this league to figure it out, you’ll be into a third coach, system, receivers and terminology by then and that doesn’t help. The change seems to have done him well. Maybe Rosen will take a similar career path in that he will find his place and turn it on in year six or seven. He also has all the tools but it just hasn’t clicked for him yet.

Well, you do get 6 or 7 years when it's obvious in Yr 1 that you're really talented, and you have noticeable improvement each and every year, especially in those parts of your game that people are criticizing. THill was in no way cut any slack here, or given something he didn't work for and deserve. I think the truth lay more on the other side. The front office failed him and the fans miserably by not building to his strengths, and the OL. I'm STILL not over their re-signing QB killer Mike Wallace. That showed me how really stupid this ownership was. You could see from a mile away it was Wallace that was stymied our deep game and that THill did not trust him at all (though he never said a word).

Stills was a huge upgrade. But how could ANY coach not see how brilliant THill was on the run, and not build a play action passing O around him?????
Contrary to some who don't understand, you DON'T need a great RB to have a play action O. There are a hundred NFL RB's that will torture a D who doesnt respect the play action.

I remember when people were gushing all over Ryan in his second season when he doubled his TD pass total from his rookie year. I never had strong feelings about Tannehill either way. I do think he gets a bum rap here. Injuries completely undercut his progress. Plus he dealt with offensive linemen that thought they were supposed to be turnstiles. I think he is a good QB (as he was in Miami) but will never be great.
He probably won't ever be considered a great QB, because he wasted over half his career on a bad team with the worst OLine over that time.

interesting use of the passive tense! I think Goat was just giving directions (I presume this was posted on the regular fin football first?)

Well, you do get 6 or 7 years when it's obvious in Yr 1 that you're really talented, and you have noticeable improvement each and every year, especially in those parts of your game that people are criticizing. THill was in no way cut any slack here, or given something he didn't work for and deserve. I think the truth lay more on the other side. The front office failed him and the fans miserably by not building to his strengths, and the OL. I'm STILL not over their re-signing QB killer Mike Wallace. That showed me how really stupid this ownership was. You could see from a mile away it was Wallace that was stymied our deep game and that THill did not trust him at all (though he never said a word).

Stills was a huge upgrade. But how could ANY coach not see how brilliant THill was on the run, and not build a play action passing O around him?????
Contrary to some who don't understand, you DON'T need a great RB to have a play action O. There are a hundred NFL RB's that will torture a D who doesnt respect the play action.

Honestly...the first bolded and enlarged part is one of the reasons some fans fought for him so hard, imo. He was just a good dude. He never blamed anyone else.

The second point is one of the more underutilized parts of his game, and has frustrated me immensely. I'd only need one hand to count the number of right-handed QBs I've ever seen throw more accurately while rolling to their left. That is NOT easy to do.

If I dig deep enough I could find a post where I said Tannehill would have a Rich Gannon type career. That does not mean getting rid of Tannehill wasn’t 100% the correct move. Gannon would have never been Gannon without a change of scenery.

Yeah, THill had to move on, and so did the team after they mishandled him for so long. It’s just such a shame it couldnt have been different because there WAS some decent talent if we just had a different FO to get the right pieces in. i dont kniw if it will EVER turn around. excited to see what Tua can do- AFTER the OL gets solid. Glad theyre taking that slow.

Same here. Always like RT and defended him on this board many times.
It's now clear that the organization around him was dysfunctional during his tenure with the fins. Happy we didn't ruin his career and that he's found success elsewhere.

the Dolphins Hard Knocks episodes are on Youtube. It's a testament to his talent that he didn't completely fizzle out given the dysfunction he entered in 2012. Philbin had no business being a head coach. Then came the whole JOnathan Martin/Ricjie Incognito show. The O-line fell to shambles. Ryan improved every year except when injuries derailed him (unfortunately, that became all too frequent during the last years of his time here). A lot of young QB's would have been out of the league by now given those circumstances.

the Dolphins Hard Knocks episodes are on Youtube. It's a testament to his talent that he didn't completely fizzle out given the dysfunction he entered in 2012. Philbin had no business being a head coach. Then came the whole JOnathan Martin/Ricjie Incognito show. The O-line fell to shambles. Ryan improved every year except when injuries derailed him (unfortunately, that became all too frequent during the last years of his time here). A lot of young QB's would have been out of the league by now given those circumstances.

Once again, I didn't proofread. My spelling is fine. My typing is atrocious.

I got roasted for years defending him, it's nice to get a little back. Although I won't be nearly as nasty as the haters were.
*glances as join date*

HappyShowyAsiantrumpetfish-small.gif

He always had the physical tools but the game was too fast for him mentally. His first read was perfunctory, not really an option most of the time due to his delay between the brain and the arm. For whatever reason, but he didn’t have the moxie or the “it” factor to really challenge and take over. There were exceptions and flashes of what was possible if he ever took that mythical next step. Well maybe he has, finally. Good for him. I hope he does well and plays up to his potential before he is done. You don’t get six or seven years in this league to figure it out, you’ll be into a third coach, system, receivers and terminology by then and that doesn’t help. The change seems to have done him well. Maybe Rosen will take a similar career path in that he will find his place and turn it on in year six or seven. He also has all the tools but it just hasn’t clicked for him yet.
Or the simpler explanation, you were just wrong. It was the team.......

Kenny Stills can't hold Mike Wallace's jock strap. He had a good double move and a spectacular ability to completely disappear, especially when he didn't have better receivers on the field. The games we played with Stills as the number one it felt like we had no receivers at all.

Kenny Stills delivered 9 TDs and was given a big contract. Mike Wallace delivered 10 TDs in a year when he was shown the door.

People just had different expectations for the two players and those expectations were especially unreasonable given that it took RT five years to develop a deep ball, and it took the Dolphins until never to develop a line in which they could consistently block well enough to go downfield with regularity.

I don’t know if he can sustain his current play. But I hope so. Big fan of RT the man. Didn’t love him as a player.

Back
Top Bottom