VIDEO: Tua hits Mack Hollins on a 40 yd deep ball in stride. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

VIDEO: Tua hits Mack Hollins on a 40 yd deep ball in stride.

The most interesting thing on this throw other than it was incredibly accurate was that Hollins was interfered with and there was clear pass interference on the play, while the Saints challenged whether it was a catch or not. In other words if Hollins had have dropped it when going to the ground it would have been an incomplete pass, despite there being clear pass interference. Until pass interference can be reviewed this is a clear blind spot in games.

I've been watching the video carefully. Hollins initially has a step on the CB and by the time the ball arrives the CB has recovered half a step and is able to lunge at (and interfere with) Hollins. But is that because the CB is faster than him? Slowing the video down to .25 you can see after he crosses the 40 that Hollins does take a shorter step before lengthening his stride again. So at that point it appears that the ball was slightly underthrown and Hollins had to slow down... but then look at the end of the play. Notice that Hollins had to extend his arms and lunge to catch the ball, which is why he falls down.

In conclusion, I think Hollins slowed down because he slightly misjudged the ball. If he hadn't slowed down, the ball would have been closer to his body and he would have caught it in stride, maybe for a TD. I think the pass was dead perfect, or close to it.

I thought it was pretty clear that Mack Hollins had a split second difficulty locating and tracking the ball. Once he locked in on it, he goes all out for it.

Some don’t realize how difficult over-the-shoulder catches really are. That’s why they are almost always highlight reel plays in baseball.

Don't sell Hollins short, he's got some highlights.

He's one of my favorites along with Waddle

How come we never get easy blown coverage TD’s like this one. Nice touch by Burrow, but where are the easy 25 yard tosses with no defender in sight for MIA?

Back
Top Bottom