Waddle = Ginn Jr? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Waddle = Ginn Jr?

Everybody that’s already pointed out that these 2 aren’t comparable have done a good enough job already but I just have to take it one step further.

Offhand, I think people would assume from memory that Ginn was just a 1 trick pony running go routes for the home run hits. They would be absolutely correct! But what I found interesting after looking at both players college stats was the disparity in YPC.

Waddle had 29 less receptions in his college career but finished just ahead of Ginn in yardage and TD’s. I find it pretty telling that Waddle had a YPC average damn near 5 yards better than Ginn while being the type of Receiver that made his plays both inside and outside.

Ted Ginn Jr would have been a Hall of Fame WR and a franchise player if he just knew how to catch. I think I've seen more Ted Ginn drops than team touchdown passes since he was drafted.

Waddle 6th overall and Ginn Jr 9th overall. Height and speed about equal ( Ginn Jr on wiki posted at 4.28 40 ). Ginn Jr. pick was heavily criticized and ridiculed at the time, and Waddle pick seen as fair? In fact if we traded down and got Waddle exactly where Ginn Jr. was picked I’m sure it would be considered a home run!

Ginn Jr. had a relatively long and somewhat successful career so was he just misused or did we not know how to get the best of him? Hopefully Waddle who has all the traits that Ginn JR. possessed will be used to his full potential.

OK, what if we would have picked another receiver? Is that receiver instantly Teddy Ginn? Is Flores Cameron?

Waddle 6th overall and Ginn Jr 9th overall. Height and speed about equal ( Ginn Jr on wiki posted at 4.28 40 ). Ginn Jr. pick was heavily criticized and ridiculed at the time, and Waddle pick seen as fair? In fact if we traded down and got Waddle exactly where Ginn Jr. was picked I’m sure it would be considered a home run!

Ginn Jr. had a relatively long and somewhat successful career so was he just misused or did we not know how to get the best of him? Hopefully Waddle who has all the traits that Ginn JR. possessed will be used to his full potential.
He has more natural ability than Ginn. Ginn was a straightforward speedster, not a great route runner, and not particularly good after the catch. Waddle has a great stop and start ability, he can change his speeds in an instant and often uses that to deceive defenders. He's slippery as a snake once the ball is in his hands, that's something Ginn was never good at. Ginn was one-dimensional and wasn't very good over the middle. Waddle has the speed of Ginn plus so much more, not even close. Picking him 3 slots later wouldn't change a thing, he was a home run at 6, no different than 9 if that's the player you were targeting. Who cares what spot he was picked at if he turns out to be a stud, that will soon be forgotten. The only time someone cares when a player was drafted is if they bust...

We didn’t draft Waddles family

The Ginn pick was a complete shock. I don't think there was one fan or draft expert who supported the pick. And to make things worse he was introduced by coach as a returner (not a WR). It was such a stupid pick.

The reason Ginn played for so long was because he avoided contact. Used to call him downy because he was so soft. Waddle and Ginn are not similar WRs at all.

I'll never forget the feeling I had listening to Cam Cameron's presser defending the Ginn pick. I imagine the same feeling had by a death row inmate who's used up all his appeals...

I worked 12-8 so I didn't see many games that year...thankfully.

Every poster has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.

Back
Top Bottom