Want to dump Directv and Sunday Ticket | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Want to dump Directv and Sunday Ticket

When you do a tv audit with cable or satellite tv, what channels do you really watch? Most people still watch the network channels, sports (ESPN, MLB, NBA or NFL) and movie channels 75 to 80 percent of the time. Of course that changes some if you have children. Between NFL Game Pass/Sunday Ticket, MLB TV, NBA League Pass, ESPN, Netflix and either Amazon Prime or Hulu Plus you can get a ton of entertainment options and still have your bill come in under $100 per month. Add in some of the free streaming sites and it's really something to consider. As for the news channels you can go to their web sites and get most of the same info for free.

I dumped them in April and use Kodi and Netflix. However they offered me the basic package for 1 year at 19.99 a month and a free Genie box with the Free NFL Sunday Package for the year and the premium movie channels for 3 months.. I almost jumped ,but glad I waited a week. Yesterday I got the same offer and a $200 Visa gift card. I am gonna do it for only a 2 year commitment. I do like the Kodi but miss live stuff sometimes. I will pay 20 bucks a month for all of this.

Lesson here is if you are a long time DTV customer, get rid of it for a few months and they will beg you to come back!

is Kodi buffer free? I love free streams but they all seem to buffer at some point? Can I get redzone on it too?

Anyone know how to get the games on TV but with a different broadcast? I can't take Phil Simms and Jim Nance or the "F" crew we got for most of our games last year. Short of muting the sound I'm seriously looking for a way to pull this off. Anyone know if this is possible?

Anyone know how to get the games on TV but with a different broadcast? I can't take Phil Simms and Jim Nance or the "F" crew we got for most of our games last year. Short of muting the sound I'm seriously looking for a way to pull this off. Anyone know if this is possible?

LOL!
That was one thing that was cool with the NFL Radio Subscription (I think that's what it was called).
You could pick which local market announcers you wanted to listen to.

It's all getting ridiculous. I just paid my bill. It was $145 for a friggin $75 package on Directv with NO premium packages. I have ROKU and paid $4 less for HBO (just to watch Ballers and GOT) than what DTV offers. The app is sort of lame in regards to difficulty finding/search shows and stream errors. I also got the free month of Amazon prime so I could watch the AZ Cardinals show, All or Nothing. I also subscribe to Netflix who just raised their prices.

DTV: $139
Prime: 10.99
Netflix: 8.99
HBO: 14.99

Now I will have to pay for NFL Ticket. I have gotten discounts in the past and even free NFLT but last year I tried and told them I was going to cancel if they didn't give a discount AND the jack off on the phone said OK, Ill cancel it. LOL.

He shut it off (auto-renew) and I called later to try again with no luck. Ended up paying full price.

What REALLY ticks me off about DTV is the way they treat you and scam you for every dime!!!!

They always auto-renew NFLT and if you signed up the prior year, you cannot find any info on NFL ticket online when signed in to your account. Nothing that gives you the current price you will be paying automatically or when it will start. You have to call so that it will not auto-renew.

They let you upgrade to bigger packages at the click of a button but you have to call customer service to downgrade. If you call the regular customer service number, they will give you yet another number to call so you have to wait on line AGAIN and then they relentlessly try to talk you out of downgrading or cancelling with lame discounts.

They charge you big bucks for each receiver (see my charges below for 3 tv's)...and more for high def stuff.

The other "sports pack" is also a scam. I purchased it to watch MLB games on the "600" channels and HALF of the channels are blacked out and none will let me watch Cubs games.

I need a new plan for ALL this stuff. It's getting out of hand. Rich, greedy, corporate SOB's.

New Charges:
DIRECTV Channels 74.99
DIRECTV Equipment Services 46.99
DIRECTV CINEMA & Pay Per View 5.99
Other Charges, Adjustments & Taxes 17.10
Total New Charges 145.07

Anyone know if Kodi works with Amazons' Fire TV or just the stick? I've been think about getting the Fire TV for 4k streaming.

If you are into quality- forget Kodi. It is my #1 goto for movies but for sports it's terrible, especially on a big projection screen. I feel like a slave to the big companies because the only thing I need cable for is sports. Crooks.

Seems like a lot of complaining for a service that allows you to watch all 16 games (minus any blackouts if you are local) of your favorite team, plus any other game you want to watch for $250 (or less). If you are just watching your favorite team, that's about $15 a game. Some people act like they are charging an arm and a leg for the convenience of watching every nfl game in your home.

Seems like a lot of complaining for a service that allows you to watch all 16 games (minus any blackouts if you are local) of your favorite team, plus any other game you want to watch for $250 (or less). If you are just watching your favorite team, that's about $15 a game. Some people act like they are charging an arm and a leg for the convenience of watching every nfl game in your home.

I agree. I believe though that the primary argument is that by the time DTV is done nickel and diming you, that $250 is actually around $650 just for the ST and a year of basic programming. Most people today can get what they need from the various internet sources such as Netflix, Hulu, Kodi, Roku, etc., etc. Why can't ST be the same way? $250 without the BS of getting contract TV service. DTV used to be the s**t back in the 90s. I could just get the ST and that was it. Then they made you get a sub with it, but then it was no big deal, $20 a month + taxes and the ST was $119. So for the year you were paying (for one TV), about $400. My father when we installed the service said he would easily pay $500 a year just to see the Fins (we are in North Jersey).

Now forget it. You have to pay not only the $20/month for the service, you get tagged with that crappy $10+/month HD fee. WTF is that? Everything is in f**king HD today, are we so stupid that we put up with that charge? I bitch them out every year for $120 in credits to get that dumb ass fee waived. And then on top of that, I think there used to be a ST HD fee of $100, I think they called it ST Max. I almost jumped through the phone to strangle rep when he tried to justify that fee. I live for the day I can cancel that crap, but the Fins are so deep in my blood, I pay it. Dumb Ass!

The Breakdown of my "Equpiment Services":
4. Watch DIRECTV on Multiple TVs 42.00
7 TVs at $7 each; Save $7 off 1st TV
5. Advanced Receiver Service - HD 10.00
6. DIRECTV Protection Plan 7.99
7. Advanced Receiver Service - DVR 10.00
8. DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service 3.00

I forgot I even had the Protection Plan so that will be cancelled. But Look at the other charges. It's 2016. Why am I still paying an HD services fee (number 5)? Why am I still paying a DVR fee (number 7)? And worst of all, why is there a DVR service fee (number 8) so that both of my DVRs can share the recorded programming on each? This is basic computer crap that has been around for decades. The only thing keeping DTV afloat, I am convinced, it live sports and especially NFL ST.

I have a question for those that have FIOS, Comcast, Dish Network, Cablevision, etc. Do you guys pay monthly HD and DVR fees for your services? Is this the norm? I've had DTV so long, Bush the first was the President.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. I believe though that the primary argument is that by the time DTV is done nickel and diming you, that $250 is actually around $650 just for the ST and a year of basic programming. Most people today can get what they need from the various internet sources such as Netflix, Hulu, Kodi, Roku, etc., etc. Why can't ST be the same way? $250 without the BS of getting contract TV service. DTV used to be the s**t back in the 90s. I could just get the ST and that was it. Then they made you get a sub with it, but then it was no big deal, $20 a month + taxes and the ST was $119. So for the year you were paying (for one TV), about $400. My father when we installed the service said he would easily pay $500 a year just to see the Fins (we are in North Jersey).

Now forget it. You have to pay not only the $20/month for the service, you get tagged with that crappy $10+/month HD fee. WTF is that? Everything is in f**king HD today, are we so stupid that we put up with that charge? I bitch them out every year for $120 in credits to get that dumb ass fee waived. And then on top of that, I think there used to be a ST HD fee of $100, I think they called it ST Max. I almost jumped through the phone to strangle rep when he tried to justify that fee. I live for the day I can cancel that crap, but the Fins are so deep in my blood, I pay it. Dumb Ass!

The Breakdown of my "Equpiment Services":
4. Watch DIRECTV on Multiple TVs 42.00
7 TVs at $7 each; Save $7 off 1st TV
5. Advanced Receiver Service - HD 10.00
6. DIRECTV Protection Plan 7.99
7. Advanced Receiver Service - DVR 10.00
8. DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service 3.00

I forgot I even had the Protection Plan so that will be cancelled. But Look at the other charges. It's 2016. Why am I still paying an HD services fee (number 5)? Why am I still paying a DVR fee (number 7)? And worst of all, why is there a DVR service fee (number 8) so that both of my DVRs can share the recorded programming on each? This is basic computer crap that has been around for decades. The only thing keeping DTV afloat, I am convinced, it live sports and especially NFL ST.

I have a question for those that have FIOS, Comcast, Dish Network, Cablevision, etc. Do you guys pay monthly HD and DVR fees for your services? Is this the norm? I've had DTV so long, Bush the first was the President.

I can agree with all that. But cancelling ST won't change any of that other stuff. lol

I hear they are paying pretty good for blood plasma these days. Might offset the cost of everyone's bleeding around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can agree with all that. But cancelling ST won't change any of that other stuff. lol

No, but cancelling ST would mean that I don't need DTV anymore and can switch to FIOS/Comcast. It just depends on which is the lesser of two evils I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom