We are blowing this rebuild... | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We are blowing this rebuild...

I think this season si very peculiar in the sense that there are a lot of bad teams out there. A LOT. And not just bad, but absolutely ****ing depressingly bad.

Before the season started, a lot of people were speculating a 3-13 record would still get us the top selection. And that may end up being our record when all is said and done, but it won't be enough to get the top pick, and it might not even be enough to get the #2 pick. Think about that for a second.

For the Dolphins to get the first pick of the draft in 2020 we probably would've had to go 0-16 this season. And I had no problem with that, honestly, but it would've been problematic in terms of the coaching staff. Because, how can you you have any faith in your coaching staff to develop the plethora of players you're bringing in in 2020, if they can't manage to win 1 game against a lot of ****ty teams in 2019?

So we're stuck in a weird place, mourning the loss of our chances to get the top pick, but at least knowing that Flores and co. are not complete duds that led this team to a winless record in a historically bad NFL season. That's why I get both sides of this debate.

At the end of the day, the real loser in this might be Chris Grier, who will now have a ton of pressure from ownership + fans + media to land a franchise QB no matter what. But at the end of the day, if his head coaching selection (Flores) turns out to be the real deal, that might turn Chris Grier into a winner as well. So yeah, it's a very very complicated matter, to say the least.

It reminds me of what the Browns did with Hugh Jackson, handed him a worthless roster and said we will keep you around just keep going. But, he never showed the chops to make that team watchable let alone competitive during that season. Which btw was a better roster than we have this year. So Flo can coach and that's a huge piece, I would bet that the front office is actually super happy with whats going on.

With the people brought in to assist with player evaluation, I think this draft and free agency period will bring a wealth of talent to a coaching staff who has shown to be able to coach up the guys. Makes me wonder what happens when a CULTURE is actually established and bringing guys in you know will buy in (FYI look for underwhelming FA signings but guys who fit the profile of this coaching staff) versus waiting for a drafted player to build a culture around.

We WILL draft a QB but trust me he will fit our teams culture, not get drafted and us switch everything around to fit what we can only GUESS is the guy. And don't bring up Lamar Jackson, that coaching staff built the offense around his skills because that teams CULTURE is high end talent coached up to be ferocious and relentless.

My 2 cents, everyone calm down and just loosen up. If we did go 0-16 and got #1 all of you would be bitching that we need a new staff or this one would finally be able to show its worth with some talent. IMO i would have very little faith in a staff that couldn't manage a win or show the ability to game plan or maximize even a small number of players. Well they are showing their worth with a roster devoid of talent and getting the max out of pretty much EVERY player, and with that established it makes draft and evaluating guys not going to say easier but its definitely more guided.

2-14 is a top 2 pick worthy.

Miami isnt gonna be facing terrible QBs that can't hit open targets the rest of the year like Hoyer.

Bengals will probably fuxk it up and take Herbert LOL. Relax.

I don't get this comment. Where did I bash Grier?

Likely, the problem is me. I take a comment (in this case, yours) about Grier and the pressure he's under) and continue that thought about Grier. As in most cases, didn't mean to imply you did any bashing, just commenting Grier IS under pressure and, in addition, people would bash him if he cured cancer. You seemed to recognize the pressure. That post was mostly agreement

That’s a fair post bro but some fellow Fins have posted that we should have given Rosen a runrather than FP which would have helped the tank. Going 0-16 is possible (I’m not a fan of the idea) and it ensures you get the no 1 pick which you can either use for the best QB available/or the one your franchise wants anyway or trade up for good rewards.

The Bengals dropped Dalton for an unknown in reality which smacks of deliberate tanking for 5hat no 1 spot. I snuck on a couple of Cincy websites over the last week. The general consensus was dropping Dalton for a deliberate tank for no 1 pick was the right thing to do and some were happy to go 0-16 to ensure they get there. Some were hoping Green would sit out the season.....

They were also commenting on trading the no 1 pick with us for two first round picks of ours.....

So some people can see the benefit of losing and tanking and the Bengals fans are well behind it as are some of the fins fans with us. I believe it’s a fairy opinion and has a lot of support amongst various franchises and their fans who are struggling like we are.

W-H-A-A-A-T????? A team with a bad QB trading out of the spot that gets them a generational talent??? What team would do that? That's the waste of a tank. Blasphemy

I'm as depressed as most about winning and taking us out of the chance to draft Tua or Burrow. But, this season is eerily similar to the 2011 season, where the Dolphins started 0-7 and then finished 6-10. In that draft, Luck and RGIII were widely considered the two "can't miss" prospects. And, little did anybody realize that Russell Wilson would be the best QB taken out of that class (in the third round). The truth is you never know. Tua could be another ankle injury away from never fulfilling his promise. Herbert may end up being a stud in the NFL. I'd only hate it if Miami had to give up another first or a first and 2nd just to get back to the position that they could've been in the first place if they had just stuck with Rosen. If they keep winning, I hope they do not pay the price to move up.

That said, the positives of coming together and playing as a team is that they will be able to attract much better free agents next year, then if they ended the season as the dumpster fire that they started.

What player would want to tank, if they dont even know if they will be part of the Roster. They need to show off what they have. Who would want to work for a coach who wants to tank??
As far as draft picks we will have to wait and see. This is only about 1/2 of the season there is a long way to go.
my 2 cents

2-14 is a top 2 pick worthy.

Miami isnt gonna be facing terrible QBs that can't hit open targets the rest of the year like Hoyer.

Bengals will probably fuxk it up and take Herbert LOL. Relax.

2-14 would be a top 2 for most season but this season it seems that there are a ton of teams tanking. But, the Bengals will probably **** up lol!

I'm as depressed as most about winning and taking us out of the chance to draft Tua or Burrow. But, this season is eerily similar to the 2011 season, where the Dolphins started 0-7 and then finished 6-10. In that draft, Luck and RGIII were widely considered the two "can't miss" prospects. And, little did anybody realize that Russell Wilson would be the best QB taken out of that class (in the third round). The truth is you never know. Tua could be another ankle injury away from never fulfilling his promise. Herbert may end up being a stud in the NFL. I'd only hate it if Miami had to give up another first or a first and 2nd just to get back to the position that they could've been in the first place if they had just stuck with Rosen. If they keep winning, I hope they do not pay the price to move up.

That said, the positives of coming together and playing as a team is that they will be able to attract much better free agents next year, then if they ended the season as the dumpster fire that they started.

Very true! That’s why I am leaning towards drafting multiple QBs. If Burrow and Tua are off the board I would draft Herbert, then Eason or Love in the 2nd and then Gordon in the 5th or 6th.

Still can't get an answer from the tank lovers that are whining in every post. Tell me what action you expect that will please you. How could they tank properly?

Also, how do none of you think there is just as crucial of an agenda in evaluating our coaching staff?
How much longer would we need if we're looking for a franchise qb AND a staff?

Do you think is all fixed with a qb but add another coaching search with it?

Complete team wins out every time.
Here is your answer. Management and ownership are responsible for "tanking". This ridiculous front office is sending mixed messages. They guaranteed the head coach's contract for five years basically telling him " we expect you to be bad this year so you are getting a free pass", so they really weren't going to judge this staff too harshly this season. All they had to do is show improvement as the season went on and not show total dysfunction and they were going to be safe regardless of their record. They then traded a second round pick for a QB and stripped down the roster to the bare bones but brought in a more than competent veteran QB that is clearly better than Rosen. What they should have done is clear Rosen's pathway to the starting job by releasing Fitzpatrick once Rosen was brought in, but what we've got instead is an old QB with no future with this team winning meaningless games. No one is blaming the coaching staff or the players for playing hard and winning games. The big mistakes were made at the top of this organization and it looks like it's going to hurt this franchise for the long term.

Bill Callahan announced today that Haskins will be the starter the rest of the way this season. They'll be facing the Jets, Giants and in 2 weeks the Lions, hopefully without Stafford. Maybe he'll get hot as there's very little tape on him.

Sorry kids, Miami is toast again.

The Dolphin 2020 draft is well on it's way to being another bust. Usually they wait until draft day to take a Charles Harris over a TJ Watt. They just couldn't wait to jam it up this year.

Fitz should have been released the moment they picked up Rosen. Huge mistake! Now you got nothing.

Sorry kids, Miami is toast again.

The Dolphin 2020 draft is well on it's way to being another bust. Usually they wait until draft day to take a Charles Harris over a TJ Watt. They just couldn't wait to jam it up this year.

Fitz should have been released the moment they picked up Rosen. Huge mistake! Now you got nothing.

If three first round draft pix with 2 second round draft picks with enormous cap space (which will help us pick up some very good FA) a coach showing up well with potentially an exciting future is nothing give me nothing every year

Back
Top Bottom