What history shows Dolphins could get with slight trade down. And potential options | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What history shows Dolphins could get with slight trade down. And potential options

Any chance they covet OT? I don't know their needs. Or, since they're tight on cap, maybe they'd offer picks and players. Since we're all talking hypothetically, why not
I could see Surtain as a Carolina target.

In a recent mock, I saw Lance was projected there. That would make four quarterbacks in the top 10.

I'm leaning towards Carolina as the most likely team to jump for a QB. Maybe Denver as next best likely. I think Philly is more likely to roll with Hurts next season. If Sewell is there then Cincy may be tempted to trade up and get their guy, but if I were them I'd probably sit at #5.
Makes sense. Denver has a pretty good defense. An upgrade at quarterback could help the Broncos a lot.

Bridgewater can't be considered the long-term answer in Carolina.

I would not want the Dolphins to trade the third pick unless they could get a top 7 pick this year, an additional second round pick in 2021 and 2022 plus an additional first round pick in 2022. If they can’t get at least these picks for trading out of the third draft pick, I would rather they stay at three and draft the top WR on their board or Sewell.
I don't think you get that much to move down just 4 spots.

It would be awesome if we could find a Bill O'brien doppelganger, but that's a good way for a GM to find himself unemployed, and unemployable.

Any chance they covet OT? I don't know their needs. Or, since they're tight on cap, maybe they'd offer picks and players. Since we're all talking hypothetically, why not
It's difficult to have players included in draft day trades. By that time, FA has already happened, and teams have already made choices that they have to live with.

It happens more in lower rounds, with afterthought players, such as the Brieda deal.

I see Carolina as the best chance to trade down and receive multiple picks. I think we could get their first three picks, 8, 40, 72.

They need their QB of the future. Fields or
Wilson would be very attractive to them.

Frustrates me that I think we were going to pick an OT at 18 last year no matter what. I believe that pick was telegraphed and we were going to pick the "next best guy," even though the studs were all gone.

There were so many great WR's on the board there like Jefferson, Aiyuk, ect... I was very high on Jefferson in particular, and wanted him, even though I knew it wasn't happening.

Now we are clamoring for a WR, when that could have been addressed. If we had gone that route, Sewell would be an obvious candidate to be our selection.

Now we might be forced to trade out of our slot based on what I considered a reach the previous year. I don't believe this is hindsight. I think it is a failure to select the best player available. I believe this is almost always the way you should go as long as the player fits your scheme.

Last edited:
It's difficult to have players included in draft day trades. By that time, FA has already happened, and teams have already made choices that they have to live with.

It happens more in lower rounds, with afterthought players, such as the Brieda deal.

Don't disagree, but this isn't a 'normal' year and teams with tight cap may be willing. I doubt they'd trade a top player, but a good player? Maybe

Don't disagree, but this isn't a 'normal' year and teams with tight cap may be willing. I doubt they'd trade a top player, but a good player? Maybe
Excellent point there. Cap situations may lead teams to do some unconventional things they might not consider otherwise.

Thanks, I hadn't looked at it from that perspective.

Excellent point there. Cap situations may lead teams to do some unconventional things they might not consider otherwise.

Thanks, I hadn't looked at it from that perspective.
Some teams may be forced to straight out release players due to cap considerations. Happens all the time. And 2021 will likely force the issue due to cap

Some teams may be forced to straight out release players due to cap considerations. Happens all the time. And 2021 will likely force the issue due to cap
A few may be released outright, but most of the time, depending on the contract structure, it would have dead money implications to consider as well. They would be far better off trading the guy, even if all they got was a late round pick.

I do think it will be a buyers market in free agency, as teams won't have room to re-sign guys with expiring rookie contracts.

A few may be released outright, but most of the time, depending on the contract structure, it would have dead money implications to consider as well. They would be far better off trading the guy, even if all they got was a late round pick.

I do think it will be a buyers market in free agency, as teams won't have room to re-sign guys with expiring rookie contracts.

A little OT, but under or just above cap, I think the NFL will be generous in adjusting cap

...At least one of the top quarterbacks (Ohio State’s Justin Fields or BYU’s Zach Wilson) will be on the board at No. 3. Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence almost assuredly will go first to Jacksonville.
If Urban is hired by JVille, I bet he drafts Fields #1.

If so, Would St Tebow be his OC?

A little OT, but under or just above cap, I think the NFL will be generous in adjusting cap
I think you are right. I'm not going into a diatribe of all the reasons why. I have done it already.

It suffices to say that it is in most of the owners, and all of the players best interests to stay as close as reasonably possible to the status quo.

Alienating players and fan bases is a bad idea from a business standpoint, even if there is some temporary pain.

Back
Top Bottom