What history shows Dolphins could get with slight trade down. And potential options | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What history shows Dolphins could get with slight trade down. And potential options

I appreciate TrinidadDolfan's analysis on what we could realistically get from trading down. I'm of the view that Miami has lucked out big time from the disastrous season that Houston sustained. Yes, GM Chris Grier negotiated the Tunsil deal brilliantly to set this up, but drafting #3 is way better than any of us could have dreamed of back at the start of the season. For that reason I'm tempted not to try to get too cute. If another team offers a boatload of future draft picks to move up Grier has to seriously consider doing the deal. However, as it stands we are in the box seat to get the best wide receiver in the draft. DeVonta Smith is the first WR to win the Heisman Trophy in 30 years. He also has a proven connection with Tua. All of my instincts tell me to draft the obvious. Tua needs WRs and we can get him the very best to help build his confidence.

Luck? Maybe! Put part of being good at anything is giving yourself an opportunity. That's what Grier and Co. did! I'm not sure why the need to take credit away from their accomplishment and try to down play it. But that's how it goes...all your fault when it doesn't work out and "luck" when it does.

Last edited:
The best thing that could happen is if Fields, Wilson, Lance, Sewell, and Parsons absolutely wow during the combine. The more of these guys that generate buzz, the better our trade opportunities.

Assuming Lawrence/Fields go 1/2, my ideal scenario would be...

Trade back 1 spot with Atlanta who wants to secure a Matt Ryan replacement. They include pick 35.
Trade back 1 spot with Cincy who wants Sewell. They include pick 38.
We are now sitting at 5, 18, 35,36, 38, 50 for the first 2 rounds.
There is a possibility of moving down a few more spots if Detroit, Denver or Carolina falls in love with Trey Lance.

I know it's unlikely, but asking for a couple of early 2nd rounders doesn't seem far fetched to move down a couple of spots. 6 picks in the top 50 can really transform your future. You could address both sides of the ball. A couple of wr's, OL, Rb, and a couple of defensive players.

I appreciate TrinidadDolfan's analysis on what we could realistically get from trading down. I'm of the view that Miami has lucked out big time from the disastrous season that Houston sustained. Yes, GM Chris Grier negotiated the Tunsil deal brilliantly to set this up, but drafting #3 is way better than any of us could have dreamed of back at the start of the season. For that reason I'm tempted not to try to get too cute. If another team offers a boatload of future draft picks to move up Grier has to seriously consider doing the deal. However, as it stands we are in the box seat to get the best wide receiver in the draft. DeVonta Smith is the first WR to win the Heisman Trophy in 30 years. He also has a proven connection with Tua. All of my instincts tell me to draft the obvious. Tua needs WRs and we can get him the very best to help build his confidence.
Spike put it perfectly.

Give us real value or pick Smith and light your cigar

The Eagles have a big enough disaster with player choice and cap dollars already with Wentz and Hurts. The last thing they are going to do is throw both of those away after this year's drama, eat tens of millions, and go with a completely different 3rd option that involves giving up a ton of picks and another large chunk of guaranteed money....to a Fields or Wilson.

I would not want the Dolphins to trade the third pick unless they could get a top 7 pick this year, an additional second round pick in 2021 and 2022 plus an additional first round pick in 2022. If they can’t get at least these picks for trading out of the third draft pick, I would rather they stay at three and draft the top WR on their board or Sewell.

ATL/PHI already in deep cap trouble. They'll either have to pass on the trade up due to cap or jettison even more talent
Philly may give Hurts more of a look. I think both of those teams are wildcards in the quarterback hunt, but you never know.

I still think Carolina might be the perfect trade partner. SF too, but they are outside the top 10.

I agree. I'm hoping for a small trade down, but if that doesn't happen then just take the guy you want. IMO that will be either Sewell or Smith. It's interesting to me how so many people were saying that there was a huge drop-off from Sewell to the next T, but now we've heard at least one of the reports that Sewell isn't even the top T on one board (Slater) and a few others have Slater close to Sewell. I suspect that we'll start hearing that others have Slater on the same tier as Sewell going forward. The T depth is also considered above average this draft. The WRs clearly have two guys at the top and maybe a third (Waddle). Some have Waddle on the top tier and some a step below. There is some reasonable concern whether Waddle can be more than just the slot WR/speed guy he was in Alabama. I think he can be a #1 but it's less certain than with Smith or Chase. The WR depth in this draft seems pretty good as well, but most of those are slot types rather #1 types. I expect that by the time the draft rolls around we may see it as 2 top tier Ts and 2 top tier WRs.

IMO WR is a far bigger need than T. Some seem to be of the opinion that Hunt struggled at RT. I don't share that opinion. In fact, according to PFF, our run game avg was the best behind RT. It was nearly as good behind LG (I don't know how much of that was Flowers and how much was Kindley). We did struggle the most running behind LT, but that was expected as he was considered very raw. I expect that he'll improve organically and significantly from a year of experience, an off-season of strength training and a TC. I do think our OL can stand some improvement on the interior, but obviously not with 1A.

On the other hand, I don't expect WR to improve much without more talent being brought in. We should get some improvement at slot with Bowden having a TC and the return of Albert Wilson. But our #1 being one of the worst in the league at getting separation will not change without new personnel. And historically paying for a FA WR is one of the worst bets you can make. IMO people's perceptions are skewed b/c Diggs worked out for Buffalo, but that's incredibly rare. The more I think about it, our best chance to get a #1 WR is with Smith or Chase at 1A. If we can trade down a little and still get that, fantastic. But if it doesn't work out, don't get cute.

Philly may give Hurts more of a look. I think both of those teams are wildcards in the quarterback hunt, but you never know.

I still think Carolina might be the perfect trade partner. SF too, but they are outside the top 10.
I'm leaning towards Carolina as the most likely team to jump for a QB. Maybe Denver as next best likely. I think Philly is more likely to roll with Hurts next season. If Sewell is there then Cincy may be tempted to trade up and get their guy, but if I were them I'd probably sit at #5.

I think that Chris Greer will be receiving his fair share of phone calls for the pick. We will see if he gets a deal that he can't say no to, or get the start of several game changers that we need on this team.
I would say if predraft we hear dolphins camp that they like a qb, that means definitely we will be trading down.

Any chance they covet OT? I don't know their needs. Or, since they're tight on cap, maybe they'd offer picks and players. Since we're all talking hypothetically, why not

The best thing that could happen is if Fields, Wilson, Lance, Sewell, and Parsons absolutely wow during the combine. The more of these guys that generate buzz, the better our trade opportunities.

Assuming Lawrence/Fields go 1/2, my ideal scenario would be...

Trade back 1 spot with Atlanta who wants to secure a Matt Ryan replacement. They include pick 35.
Trade back 1 spot with Cincy who wants Sewell. They include pick 38.
We are now sitting at 5, 18, 35,36, 38, 50 for the first 2 rounds.
There is a possibility of moving down a few more spots if Detroit, Denver or Carolina falls in love with Trey Lance.

I know it's unlikely, but asking for a couple of early 2nd rounders doesn't seem far fetched to move down a couple of spots. 6 picks in the top 50 can really transform your future. You could address both sides of the ball. A couple of wr's, OL, Rb, and a couple of defensive players.
Regardless of who wows when you sit at 3 there will be bodies who wow no matter what, every draft has them so we are in a fantastic spot to due whatever

The Eagles have a big enough disaster with player choice and cap dollars already with Wentz and Hurts. The last thing they are going to do is throw both of those away after this year's drama, eat tens of millions, and go with a completely different 3rd option that involves giving up a ton of picks and another large chunk of guaranteed money....to a Fields or Wilson.

Eagles are 100% out of the QB market. 2021 will be about saving jobs for them. I see Wentz, Pederson and Roseman all gone after the season. I don't see anyway in which the 6th pick in the draft is going to change their direction at this point. They want Sewell, won't have a shot at him. They'd likely love to have Parsons, I don't see that happening either although much more likely if Cincy takes a WR and Altanta is hot after a QB. I think the Eagles are destined to take a corner and look for OL help in round 2. Howie Roseman is a horrible drafting GM so who knows what to expect there other than it won't be a QB.

I'm leaning towards Carolina as the most likely team to jump for a QB. Maybe Denver as next best likely. I think Philly is more likely to roll with Hurts next season. If Sewell is there then Cincy may be tempted to trade up and get their guy, but if I were them I'd probably sit at #5.

No one is talking about Denver but they clearly need to upgrade that position. Looks like Elway relieved himself of the team building duties at this point. Someone will come in there and do their own thing. Fangio likely another lame duck coach heading into 2021.

Back
Top Bottom